Solo Boost

• Hi

In one of the thousand threads, i think it was a discussion about the foot controller, we have talked about a helpfull solo boost for the KPA. The pure boost is ok but not perfect as a solo boost, because i need a simple booster with dB steps (e.g. +5 to +8dB). CK stated in this thread, there is a possibility to create a booster, which allows to boost in dB steps and which has a mix level for pre and post amp.
    Are there any news about this matter? I think this is a minor thing for the Kemper team which can be easily solved and i'm wondering to get two new updates with great new tools but without any further statement about a simple booster.

Kai

• Another solution, but a little bit too expensive. ;) I use a FCB1010 and waiting for the KPA Foot Controller end of this year. So I don't want to buy a third controller.
    This was only a question, because CK himself highlighted this solution. First of all i'll try your solution with a flat EQ. Thanks for your help.

Kai

• You could change rigs with one button push - that is a low bucks solution:)

Or, set the rigs up to have your solo volume and gain with the guitar volume at ten. Turn the guitar down for chords,etc. The Kemper will get quieter, and clean up some. There are many different sounds from each profile at different guitar volume levels.

BTW:
    Can I assume a boost like that is used for solos when there is not a front of house sound technician? An 8db signal change in output whenever a guitarist does a solo is the kind of thing that will cause a sound engineer to (best case scenario) put a compressor on the guitar channel, squashing any dynamics in the tone, or (most likely) balancing the solo volume with the rest of the band, with the un-boosted sound buried in the mix, to avoid exposing the audience any more volume spikes.

• Hi Paults

I have used a 6dB boost many years with my old Digitech 2120. At all concerts with FOH. I've played at the soundcheck the normal sounds and a short boosted solo. To let the technician adjust all settings. It worked fine in the past.
    I know, there are many different ways to solve this matter, but i prefer to use one RIG per song. My question came back, because CK stated in another thread that he will give us a new booster with the mentioned features.

Kai

• Akkan I may have another solution (while not tested live) :

Use the wah booster with a foot controller , set you rig to it's 'soloing gain' (say 6) then set the wah booster to Minus 100.

This way you'll just have to push the pedal down to get your lead sound while on rythm setting.

It works especially well with some rigs where the whole gain range is usable ( like cream JTA 45 or coyotte) : clean(1),crunch(3), heavy(4.5), lead(6) on the same rig.

You'll have that gain boost and also a good volume boost, wich is what you're aiming for. You'll have to tune it precisely (the max gain) because of the high volume boost.

• Hi Paults

I have used a 6dB boost many years with my old Digitech 2120. At all concerts with FOH. I've played at the soundcheck the normal sounds and a short boosted solo. To let the technician adjust all settings. It worked fine in the past.
    I know, there are many different ways to solve this matter, but i prefer to use one RIG per song. My question came back, because CK stated in another thread that he will give us a new booster with the mentioned features.

Kai

I'm with you - I prefer to not to even have to push a switch for solos. I just turn up the guitar - I don't have to be near the pedalboard to do it that way.

• Hi

In one of the thousand threads, i think it was a discussion about the foot controller, we have talked about a helpfull solo boost for the KPA. The pure boost is ok but not perfect as a solo boost, because i need a simple booster with dB steps (e.g. +5 to +8dB). CK stated in this thread, there is a possibility to create a booster, which allows to boost in dB steps and which has a mix level for pre and post amp.
    Are there any news about this matter? I think this is a minor thing for the Kemper team which can be easily solved and i'm wondering to get two new updates with great new tools but without any further statement about a simple booster.

Kai

I'm interested in this too. The way I've done it for now, is to sacrifice the volume pedal (which I don't use anyway) and make the heel position a bit lower than the toe position. This way, I'm not sacrificing any of the valuable fx slots. There's no simple way of measuring this in dB, but I'm kinda experimenting my way ahead. I'm used to a +3dB bump using a null filter on my Axe.