Richie Sambora's tone from KPA?

• I know he has used lots of different amps throughout his career with Bon Jovi, but I'm interested in opinions even if they are diverse and from different eras. I've seen him using Diezels, Fender Tone Masters, Marshall DSLs... Also I know he has a drawer full of dirtboxes in his rack - Klon, Boss OD1, Abunai, Zen Drive, etc. But I'd really like some ideas on how to get in the ballpark, I'm not going to get anal and try to nail 100% of his tones on every song (yet), just need a few clean / crunch / lead tones to get started for now.

• hi, i believe JCM800 is the best option, i think he's using blackstar`s now.

Also i was checking evil robot and i think that's a good start point too for low-mid, but JCM800 is more rock style based (riff and lead)

hmm i dont remember which amp I used for clean channel, will take a look later,

hope this helps

also, someone in youtube using Laney, but i liked more the JCM800 (i used free profile but thinking on buying from amp factory, also the 1987x)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GACCVzZyCaE

• Thanks for the replies Alejandro and Paul, suggestions noted :)

I did think the vowel wha in the KPA was supposed to emulate a talk box like the Banshee but so far I haven't had much success in dialing it in.

I'm probably going with something other than the 800 because all of the profiles I've tried sound thin and nasaly unfortunately.

• Richie is currently playing Friedman amps on the new tour. However, he always keeps a DSL100 or 2 around. I think he used the Blackstar amps on his solo album but hasn't really used them live. I have a couple of DSL profiles on the exchange you may want to try.

For fx, he has a lot of stuff but really keeps his tone simple. He has used a boss sd-1 on occasion along with a klon and a pog. With the new pitch settings, you can achieve the same effect. I use the rocktron banshee talkbox and I don't think you can get clse enough with what is in the KPA for that kind of thing.

• I would suggest the Plexi 1959 from soundside.de (Profile Pack 35). With the profile on high gain or combined with one of the Kemper's stomp boxes you should get a think "Sambora-like" tone. You can hear a demo from me using a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul and the 1959 Plexi-profile on soundside.de, too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• Thanks for the replies Alejandro and Paul, suggestions noted :)

I did think the vowel wha in the KPA was supposed to emulate a talk box like the Banshee but so far I haven't had much success in dialing it in.

I'm probably going with something other than the 800 because all of the profiles I've tried sound thin and nasaly unfortunately.

I posted a couple profiles back then:
    one is pedal controlled and the other is attack controlled

They can't do as much as you can with your mouth, but they are in a similar tonal range to the way it typically used.

I have a variation of the pedal version assigned to a MIDI program change, in case anything should happen to that tube right before I need it:(

• Richie is currently playing Friedman amps on the new tour. However, he always keeps a DSL100 or 2 around. I think he used the Blackstar amps on his solo album but hasn't really used them live. I have a couple of DSL profiles on the exchange you may want to try.

For fx, he has a lot of stuff but really keeps his tone simple. He has used a boss sd-1 on occasion along with a klon and a pog. With the new pitch settings, you can achieve the same effect. I use the rocktron banshee talkbox and I don't think you can get clse enough with what is in the KPA for that kind of thing.

Question, have you tried to use the Banshee on the FX loop of the KPA? I'm a bit curious as to how that kind of setup would work out. In fact I have absolutely no idea on how to use a Banshee should I ever get myself one.

• I have a Banshee, too. They are designed for guitar-level input and output. It has a built-in "on/bypass" switch. I have mine under a pedalboard shelf, so rather than the built-in switch, it is connected to the second output of the box I use to switch guitars (made by WOBO - the guy makes really solid, reliable stuff).

The Banshee has to be physically close enough to get that tube into your mouth, with a microphone to pickup the signal for the PA. I use my vocal mic - some people use a second mic stand just for it. You could use it in the FX loop of the Kemper, but you would end up with two more long cables to run if your Kemper is not right by your mic stand.

• Deny, can I ask which era of the Richie Sambora tone your looking for..? Perhaps a particular album sound? His 80's tone was far different to what he sounds like now. I believe he was using JCM800's back then. And as a few people and yourself has stated he was using DSL's for a long time. My personal favourite LIVE tone of his came from the Fender Tone Master's he was using on the These Days tour. They just sounded massive to me. For studio he also likes to use a lot of vintage amps too.

• I have a Banshee, too. They are designed for guitar-level input and output. It has a built-in "on/bypass" switch. I have mine under a pedalboard shelf, so rather than the built-in switch, it is connected to the second output of the box I use to switch guitars (made by WOBO - the guy makes really solid, reliable stuff).

The Banshee has to be physically close enough to get that tube into your mouth, with a microphone to pickup the signal for the PA. I use my vocal mic - some people use a second mic stand just for it. You could use it in the FX loop of the Kemper, but you would end up with two more long cables to run if your Kemper is not right by your mic stand.

The interesting thing about putting the Banshee in the KPA FX loop is that I'd be able to hear the effected tone through my FRFR monitor as well as through FOH, granted it works. Can I even connect a microphone at the FX loop return? Or an even better question, have you tried this configuration? TBH I am considering buying a Banshee now that I'm starting to realize how much of Richie's signature tone relies on it, even though the guys told me it wasn't mandatory.

You guys have the Banshee 1 or 2? Is the 2 worth the extra dough? They're very expensive where I live, around $300 for the 1 and $500 for the 2 :wacko:

Deny, can I ask which era of the Richie Sambora tone your looking for..? Perhaps a particular album sound? His 80's tone was far different to what he sounds like now. I believe he was using JCM800's back then. And as a few people and yourself has stated he was using DSL's for a long time. My personal favourite LIVE tone of his came from the Fender Tone Master's he was using on the These Days tour. They just sounded massive to me. For studio he also likes to use a lot of vintage amps too.

Ahh, that's a tough one. Since I've just joined a cover band, I'm guessing I'm going to have to more or less cover all of them. Like I've said, tough luck uh? I've been told we're playing the live versions from the Wembley show if that helps.

• Question, have you tried to use the Banshee on the FX loop of the KPA? I'm a bit curious as to how that kind of setup would work out. In fact I have absolutely no idea on how to use a Banshee should I ever get myself one.

If you're going to run the banshee or any talkbox, it will need a mic on the tube to hear it through whatever PA your band is running through. I don't think there's any way around it. It has it's own self contained amp built into it. When you engage it, it can be set to bypass your amp or the kemper which is what I do. I also run an ABY box from Whirlwind so that I have the option of just talkbox through FOH or talkbox and the kemper at the same time. But the banshee sound will always have to be amplified through a microphone. I use the banshee 1 and have no need to get the 2nd version and I'm pretty sure that will be the case for you too.

The wembley shows were, as stated by someone else, the Fender Tonemasters...however, those are the amps that were showing on stage.,..who knows what he was actually plugged into in the back. I have a couple of friends that know his guitar tech well and enlighten me on all this stuff. :D Richie has always gone for the Marshall type sound, no matter the era. Use something in that tone frame and you should be fine. I was using a DSL for years before the Kemper and just ended up profiling my DSL. I always get people telling me that we sound just like Bon Jovi, which is good because we are a Bon Jovi tribute band! :P

• I use the Banshee 1, as well. Electro Harmonix recently announced a self-powered Talkbox, too. Maybe one of those would be cheaper where you are.

Deny, if you use any Marshally gain sound, you'll be fine - the other guys in the band aren't as particular as we guitarists can be.

The sounds that matter more than a specific gain tone are the really distinctive ones, the ones that male people in the audience cheer when you play them. Have you come up with a sound for "Dead or Alive" ? That, and the Talkbox are the things that people will notice. Pitch effects will easily give you the multiple guitars for "Living on a Prayer".

One performance thought - if getting a Talkbox is practical at this point, I have a suggestion for the "look" of the show. Get a tube, anyway, and use it (even if you control the effect with touch or a pedal). The bottom of the tube will need to be secured to your pedalboard or tucked underneath it. People going to see a Bon Jovi tribute band expect to see that, just like people who go to see a Beatles tribute band expect to see Sgt. Pepper outfits.

• Have you come up with a sound for "Dead or Alive" ?

If someone could EQ match this tone (the electric part, obviously, which I assume is a boosted Marshall), that would be awesome -- absolutely fabulous 80's hard rock tone: tight, aggressive, grinding, boosted Marshall sound

• If you're going to run the banshee or any talkbox, it will need a mic on the tube to hear it through whatever PA your band is running through. I don't think there's any way around it. It has it's own self contained amp built into it. When you engage it, it can be set to bypass your amp or the kemper which is what I do. I also run an ABY box from Whirlwind so that I have the option of just talkbox through FOH or talkbox and the kemper at the same time. But the banshee sound will always have to be amplified through a microphone. I use the banshee 1 and have no need to get the 2nd version and I'm pretty sure that will be the case for you too.

The wembley shows were, as stated by someone else, the Fender Tonemasters...however, those are the amps that were showing on stage.,..who knows what he was actually plugged into in the back. I have a couple of friends that know his guitar tech well and enlighten me on all this stuff. :D Richie has always gone for the Marshall type sound, no matter the era. Use something in that tone frame and you should be fine. I was using a DSL for years before the Kemper and just ended up profiling my DSL. I always get people telling me that we sound just like Bon Jovi, which is good because we are a Bon Jovi tribute band! :P

Coincidentally the closest I could get to his tone (as I perceive it) was using a Friedman profile, which means I'm probably on the right track ;)

I'm still wondering if I can go with this chain: Guitar -> Kemper -> KPA FX loop out -> Banshee | Mic -> KPA FX loop in -> FRFR Monitor / FOH

You think this would work?

Also I've tried the vowel wah effect but from what I've been reading it sounds better *after* distortion (I was using it in the same position as a regular wah, that is, *before* distortion), so I'm going to give that a try.

I'm guessing you mean the lead tone in "Dead or Alive"; like I've mentioned the [boosted] Friedman sounds *extremely* close to that tone to my ears, so for now I'm going to go with that. You make an interesting point about using a "prop" tube next to my mic, as much as I think it's a bit too much that reminds me that the audience is there to watch a show, not just hear the music - in fact I'm going to suit up for the gig, hat boots and all :D

Oh and BTW the rotary effect IMHO nails the tone from "Always" spot on, the KPA keeps on delivering tone after tone :)

And now that we have pitch effects I can also nail the lead tones in "You give love a bad name", life is good :thumbup:

• Understood about the tube, but people will say " you know, I saw another band do it once, and their guitar player could even do that mouth thing...."

The vowel wah does work best post-gain, because it needs plenty of harmonics. The classic sound is a guitar amp into a wide range horn driver ( the kind that used to be in big Fiberglas horns, typically mounted on telephone poles for outdoor public address systems.). A nasty fuzz (or an amp profile with no cabinet) is ideal as input. You could make one with a cheap practice amp, and a horn driver.

You risk horrible feedback if you try to run a mic into your guitar cab. Danelectro made one at one point with little mics on the tube - that idea never caught on, because it will squeal. Either use just a tube, or, use a vocal mic on a stand :)