EQ before stack

• Hi guys,

From what I have seen, it seems to be a more common thing to put an EQ before the stack (A,B,C,D slots) than after (X slot). However, putting the EQ before the stack doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference for me. I tried putting a graphic EQ before the stack and play around with it, and nothing seemed to quite affect my tone that much (even extreme settings, like everything boosted or cut to the max). Is there anything I'm doing wrong there, or is there a difference between the A,B,C, and D slots?

• I only use EQ up front for some high gain rigs, as (for my taste) some of them require cutting the high frequencies prior to the gain. I would then boost the highs a bit post stack. For the majority of rigs, however, I go with EQ in the X slot.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Both methods serve different purposes. While EQ after the gain section is way more effective for severe tonal changes, an EQ before the gain section can be used to influence the gain structure and amp character. This is bascially what most modern and boutique amps do, applying some high pass or treble boost before the gain section and beefing up the low end after the gain section to compensate. This produces a tighter distorted tone. Also a great tool for matching different kinds of pickups.

• Makes quite a drastic change here.

Bear in mind it has a different function - when you're boosting the highs before the gain stage, the highs get compressed and distorted first, and more -
    so essentially, with high enough gain, boosting the highs before the amp block will actually lower the high end.
    Also, pre-gain EQ should usually be more extreme than post-gain.

Try a 3db boost in the 1.4Khz region for an edgier tone,
    a 6db boost in the 5Khz region for way more string separation,
    a 3db cut in the 120hz region with a 1.5db volume boost for added tightness.

Try all three to sound like a MIDI sample ;)

EDIT: ninja'd by Tylerhb.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Both methods serve different purposes. While EQ after the gain section is way more effective for severe tonal changes, an EQ before the gain section can be used to influence the gain structure and amp character. This is bascially what most modern and boutique amps do, applying some high pass or treble boost before the gain section and beefing up the low end after the gain section to compensate. This produces a tighter distorted tone. Also a great tool for matching different kinds of pickups.

It's been so long since I've done this with a high-gain rig that I had confused things and reversed the usage. Yes, it was to enhance the highs before gain and add bass after ...
    Thanks for setting me straight! 8|

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• :thumbup:

Great tip :thumbup: