Yamaha DXR10 vs Behringer B212D

• Hi guys

just received one of the Yamaha DXR10 and compared it quickly with my Behringer B212D.

First disappointment with Yamaha: there is substancial background noise due to the cooling system. The Behringer is quit :)
    Second disappointment: The Yamaha sound only a bit better in terms of clarity and response. Otherwise very similar to the Behringer and not an improvement that is worth 1000 Euros.

Having in mind that some guys here say that the Yamaha are on par with those dedicated Kemper amplifier system I am concluding that the Behringer speakers are not so much worse....

Will test more when the other Yamaha is coming but I guess the probability is high that I send them back. Please have in mind that I am interested in home studio usage only and that the background noise of the Yamaha is a no go. On stage you do not hear it of course

More to come

Cheers
    sacapuntas

• important to note: at the Behringer you probably need to low down bass and increase treble a bit. This can be done with its own equalizer. With the bass at noon it gets very boomy. The Yamaha sounds a bit more "direct" -- just a very little bit better. Try it out by yourselves.

Cheers
    Sacapuntas

• +1. Not all Behringer gear is bad.
    And the obvious B- bashing is more of a stereotype.

I'm sorry, Diego, that it the Yamaha's seem to not work out for you.
    Yes, mine does a bit of hissing as well. But it wasn't intended for studio use on my part.

No need to feel bad about this. This is real life and fun to try out. The only thing what may happen is that I need to bring the stuff back to the post office. But I learned something new. Cheers Sacapuntas

• hi, I've had my finger on the dxr10 button for some time, i'm still using "valve" amps for live (what a pleb).. i'm not particularly happy with my KPA through guitar cabs. its got a completely different feel than studio monitors (not so realistic "just my preference"). I will look into the behringer now.. thanks for the heads up :thumbup: !

• All hale the DXR!!!!!

nice one raoul23 ! I did try the dxr in the local store last week, it was pretty awesome. the guys in the shop were amazed with the kemper they spent more time on it than I did lol !

• Here we go. It is great to stimulate the discussion. As I said the Yamaha sound a bit better but they have the noise from the cooling system and I am questioning if the sound quality difference is worth around 600 Euro for a couple of them.

Keep on rockin
    Sacapuntas

PS Thought to safe the money a buy a nice Brunetti tube amp instead? ;.)

• I would like all of they guys running after real guitar cabs to try the Blue Amps 212FR-A. It has ended the quest for me (for live use). If you play just at home stick with your studio monitors.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Here we go. It is great to stimulate the discussion. As I said the Yamaha sound a bit better but they have the noise from the cooling system and I am questioning if the sound quality difference is worth around 600 Euro for a couple of them.

Keep on rockin
    Sacapuntas

PS Thought to safe the money a buy a nice Brunetti tube amp instead? ;.)

You must play your guitar real quiet or have a faulty one. I have two and I don't hear any noise when I play. Even in my studio when they are run at a low volume I still don't hear noise ?(

• ...As for sound quality, the DXR10 is 10", right?

If so, that's hardly a fair comparison. A 12" will always be noticeably more hi-fi and less boxy that a 10" - same principal as with a guitar speaker.
    Regardless, that's a great review. I might end up getting a Behringer eventually - oh, the student's life... ;(

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• ...As for sound quality, the DXR10 is 10", right?

If so, that's hardly a fair comparison. A 12" will always be noticeably more hi-fi and less boxy that a 10" - same principal as with a guitar speaker.
    Regardless, that's a great review. I might end up getting a Behringer eventually - oh, the student's life... ;(

I tried the DXR10 and DXR12. The 12 sounded honky and not as tight as the 10. When I tried them all out I had no budget in mind just wanted the best sound possible for the best price. That is what the DXR gave me compared to all the rest :)

• There are plenty of good reviews out for the Behringer B212D / B215D and they seem like great bang for the buck. I would like to compare them with the Yamahas.
    On a sidenote I really like their smaller nearfield monitors Behringer Truth B3030 / 3031A series.

Here is one reviewer who prefers the Behringers over Altos and Mackies (sorry no Yamaha comparison).
    [YOUTUBE]

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/YOUTUBE]

• PS Thought to safe the money a buy a nice Brunetti tube amp instead? ;.)

Give up Brunetti, man.
    One of the most lifeless tube amps of the world, IMHO.
    If you need some punch midrage and don't want to spend too much money, you can take a look into the Advance Tube Tech tube amps.
    They are quite lightweight (around 12-15 kg for a stereo 70w for each side amp) and the have more "life than the brunetti".
    Some TA70 (EL34, white face) has some reliability issues, but the black face, the TA70 LTD (6L6) and the TA100 (5881) are tone monsters.
    You can have them for 300-400 euros in the italian market.

• There are plenty of good reviews out for the Behringer B212D / B215D and they seem like great bang for the buck. I would like to compare them with the Yamahas.
    On a sidenote I really like their smaller nearfield monitors Behringer Truth B3030 / 3031A series.

Here is one reviewer who prefers the Behringers over Altos and Mackies (sorry no Yamaha comparison).

Truths are terrible. Horrible. Hideous 8|
    Uncomfortable, boxy and plastic sounding.
    Hated them. YMMV, obviously, but.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

Edited once, last by Quitty ().

• Truths are terrible. Horrible. Hideous 8|
    Uncomfortable, boxy and plastic sounding.
    Hated them. YMMV, obviously, but.

Quitty, I am using a pair of 2031a's - but as I haven't had an opportunity to compare them with anything else I don't have a view as to how they sound - if you used them what did you upgrade to? My issue is that these are for home use and I don't want to go for a something that is overkill for that type of use as far as a FRFR solution.

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't