Front of House

• If my KPA is the best piece of gear I've ever bought, my RCF NX 12-SMA is an easy second. Problem now is, I really need my FOH to sound equally as good. Thought about using a couple more as my mains, but the coverage might be a problem. Should I be looking into say...the RCF NX M12-A? Spec sheets are very similar, but lots more coverage with the latter.

• Proper EQ adjustment for each venue for your FOH makes a bigger difference than having a high end system and leaving the EQ the same all the time. An RTA (real time anilyzer) with dual 31 band and 10 band parametric is a wonderful tool for correcting room resonances and getting a much clearer and full range response. I only anilyze the venue once then store it for recall when we return. Sometimes we shoot the room during teardown when the club is vacant for use next time. Tuning by ear is still needed but the baseline is set so its a lot easier.

Good FOH speakers help too, just don't forget the EQ!

bd

• The dbx Drive Rack is a great unit. I have had good service out of a (don't laugh) Behringer DEQ2048. As for those that have had bad luck using RTA, most RTA's can't set the bottom end for you...usually says so in the manual. When I shoot a room, I limit the corrected freq range to 120hz minimum and dial in the bass by hand afterwards. Afterwards, I sometimes use a wide Q parametric to adjust the low mids and highs to taste after the RTA does it's job. This preserves most of the corrected curve while balancing the system for the overall sound you want. Similar to adjusting overall bass and treble on a 2 or 3 band eq.

The main thing the RTA does is normalize the mid and high resonances for a particular room. This gets rid of the nasal or honky tones that mess up your voice, guitar, and drum sounds. I usually switch the new settings in and out while playing program music before the gig....the difference is night and day! I have been told by many club owners that we have the "clearest" sound and "less irritating". I suspect some bands come in with gear that is too harsh or bright sounding and kill everyone's ears for 4 hours. Ugh! That's not cool.

bd