Okay, and now Reamping for the Dummies, please - Part I - the recording

• the more i read in the wiKPA the more i get confused. ?( ?( ?( what i want to do is:

i want to record a let's say distorted riff with my ironheart profile and - at the same time - a clean version for later reamping purposes.
    that's all. that's easy? yes, for you! okay, now my questions (actual reamping comes later)

• how many cables do i need
    • from where to where
    • explain this to your 12-year-old son and you understand me :D
    • it will be appreciated if you leave out only the most obvious cable, the usb connection to the pc
    • thank you very much indeed

yours, confused geraldo

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• Geraldo, you need:
    1. Two cables (RCA connectors)
    2. From KPA's SPDIF out to your soundcard's SPDIF in. And soundcard's SPDIF out to KPA's SPDIF in.
    3. Setup your KPA (output/master menu) SPDIF output to GIT/STACK. This way you will record one mono track dry and one track with amp tone.
    4. Set up 2 Tracks for recording in your DAW, selecting the appropriate inputs (read up in the manual of your soundcard which Inputs reflect the SPDIF in, in my Saffire Pro it is 5 and 6).
    5. Record. Now you have recorded one wet track and one dry track.
    6. For reamping you need to do as follows: you need to route the dry track out of your DAW via the SPDIF out (to theKPA's SPDIF in). Listen to the sound by monitoring your KPA.
    7. When you decided for a reamp constellation, set up another track in your DAW for recording (as in 4.). This time in the KPA you choose only STACK for SPDIF out as you don't want to record another dry track again.
    Does it help?

• thank you very much for your time and effort, ingolf. i still do not get the crucial point (4), but i will try it exactly like you said.
    i hope the roland quad arrives on wednesday and i will try recording wet/dry and will tell you whether it worked.
    the four outputs of the KPA still confuse me. which one for what kind of purpose, but okay.
    that should work. thank you again :thumbup:

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• kudos to the next sage: part 1-5 of the description work exactly as told. 8o :thumbup: :thumbup:

i am too tired now, will try the rest tomorrow morning. thanks again

• Thanks Geraldo and Ingolf,great thread!
    Maybe I'll try it at home .
    But, what if my sound card doesn't have SPDIF ??

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

• Thanks Geraldo and Ingolf,great thread!
    Maybe I'll try it at home .
    But, what if my sound card doesn't have SPDIF ??

In this case you can of course do analog reamping, like in the good old days.
    You have to record a dry track which is no problem with the KPA (master menu).
    Then you have to route the dry track from your DAW back to the KPA and re-record.

I will say though that personally I'm not a fan of reamping at all.
    My personal philosophy is to commit to a sound as early in a project stage as possible as all mixing is about decisions anyway and a reamped guitar sound will in any case require a whole new mix for everything else as well.
    If you really don't know what you want later it can be useful though.

• thanks ingolf,

i am surprised to hear that reamping would have been possible without buying all this new stuff. i could have saved a lot of money.
    but anyway, i have the roland quad now and it seems to work okay, but now i get
    either always a clean track (although i can hear the rig) or always a wet one. this is strange because yesterday i celebrated that at least step
    1-5 were working. i am fumbling around on the S/PDIF output menu of the KPA, but to no avail.

any suggestions? step 6-7 do not work.

• As I said, I can't help you with Cubase, but what you have to do is route your dry track out of Cubase (ideally not on the main bus but on an extra bus) back into the KPA (SPDIF in). Now you monitor the track fed back to the KPA and make your sound choice.
    Then re-record onto another track in Cubase.

• yes, it did help, ingolf, thanks. somehow this is the definitive guide! :thumbup: once i understood routing the busses in cubase for their different purposes, yo! i did my first reamping ten
    minutes ago. i can go to bed now (2 AM). perhaps with a small addition to point #6: do not forget to "activate" the new sound you want for the clean track by setting the input to
    "S/PDIF input". this i hadn't done, because i did not know where to search, this hint was from bruno. and ikusark was a great help, too. :thumbup:

thank you guys, you are the best, this simple 7-step-programm - with the mentioned small addition - is some for the WiKPA, isnt it?

cheers

• Following Ingolf's roadmap, I easily managed to do a reamping test, Thanks Ingolf ! :thumbup:

...But with a high gain profile, I noticed the DI reamped track has slightly less gain than the original track (with the same profile of course)...
    Does it mean there is a fine tuning about SPDIF levels to do in the KPA or in the DAW ?
    Is there an easy way to compute the slight gain to add to the DI track before it reenters the KPA ?

• i do not understand much of the technical stuff, but it is not bad that the reamped track has a little less gain.
    viabcroce is right in his WiKPA: if you double/triple/quadruple tracks, it is a good idea to reduce the gain and
    ofcourse do some adjustments in the equalizer. i boost for instance the left track a little in 2K Hz and the right
    track in the stereo spectrum @3,5K Hz.

cheers

• This would work.... this worked with Samplitude Pro X after a lot of investigation. Kemper support said this was a good idea, unless they were just yessing me. But they were pretty good about answering many questions.

Can't you set the Spidif OUT to "main stereo" when you are reamping. You input the clean channel....but what if your setting/rig has stereo effects...couldn't you send back a high quality stereo signal through the Spidif which would give you a great final take...in stereo....if you need. for delay...etc.

Just set the spidif main outs setting to record to a stereo track into your DAW.

Edited once, last by fuzzpop ().

• I just went throught the steps and got it working. I had to enable spidif under the input section of the KPA, that's the only other step that wasn't specifically laid out.

Thanks for the easy directions.
    Sean

• Thank you for the tutorial. Good work.
    I have a question: do you hear the dry signal and the signal processed by the kpa when you do the reampling.
    I am not able to mute the dry signal , if I mute the dry signal there is no signal and therefore no reampling.
    Tell me if this is normal or I have to configure my cubase buses.