Line 6 Stage Source L3t, Yamaha DXR10, DSR112 and Matrix Q12 / GT1000FX.....

• Well, as mentioned we spent the day with the Matrix Q12, Yamaha's and the Line 6 L3t. In a nutshell, we all found the Q12 / GT1000FX combo to be amazing. First, the small size of the cabinet is quite deceiving. The sound emanating form that enclosure blew the others away. The amp/speaker combo sounds quite analog if not tube like. Mellow, clean, crisp and defined.

I really wish we hadn't gone down this path, it has been quite an eye opening exercise. Life was easier before I went on the speaker journey. Now I feel like I have become compulsive OCD with respect to having the need to test. Well, before I need counseling and an intervention my buddies told me we are done.

And the winner is.......

BTW, one of my buddies also brought over the Axe FX II and through the GT100FX and Q12 speakers both the Kemper and the Axe FX II sound amazing. I have read all the hype, all the flame wars pontificating that one is better than the other. After hours of playing through both, through each of the speakers, we are convinced that the differences between these units are minimal and the similarities certainly more than we are lead to believe from the forum personalities and YouTube videos.

Bottom line, the Matrix GT1000FX and G12 are now permanent residents of my studio.

• SpiritSeeker, did you try the Q12a direct into a non-powered KPA too? I'll be interested in how it compares to the Q12 + GT1000FX combo.

• SpiritSeeker,

I applaud your methodology. After all, you just don't know if it's right for you until you try it out for yourself.
    With so many good choices available, it's best to do a real world comparison, when possible.
    Personally, I own the Kemper, Axe Fx II, GT1000FX 2U and a couple CFR12's.
    I'm amazed by the sound coming from all these units.

I also have a Lehle 1at3 switcher, where I can connect a guitar to both units and one of my guitar amp/cabs.
    One CFR12 for the Kemper, one CFR12 for Axe Fx and then a real guitar amp/cab.
    All I can say is that both units are very capable of reproducing the true essence of a real tube guitar amplifier and cabinet.

Instant switching back and forth helps me dial in a sound fast and reminds me just how good they are.
    Now I can get on to playing music, instead of evaluating gear.

Jim

• Spiriseeker,

I am curious why you edited your first post twice and deleted the Matrix part. If I recall correctly, I might be wrong though, you were not that positive about the Matrix solution in your first post altough the header is still mentioning the Matrix solution. Now it is a permanent resident of your studio. Please help me understand your opinion changes and for me somehow surprisingly outcome.

Thanks

Edited once, last by DADA ().

• So I think that there is a disease called "Speaker Overload". It involves driving yourself insane testing, retesting and then imagining that the differences you hear are real and valid.

Life used to be so easy, buy a guitar, buy an amp, plug it in and play.

Amen, Brother. I've basically gotten to the point where I force myself to quit chasing the dragon, looking for that one more pice of gear, or a new Kemper profile.

I read an interview with Tom Morello several years ago, and he talked about spending hours tweaking knobs on his guitar and Marshall amp, and he finally just marked the knobs with a sharpie. He decided to leave the knobs where they were, and just wring every ounce he could out of that setting. I've been trying to do the same with my Kemper lately. I try to land on a profile I like, tweak it a few minutes, then just play that profile for a week when I practice.

Same thing with my monitors. I've got two Yamaha HS8 monitors with the matching sub, and a pair of Sennheisers for headphone monitoring. Could I get better monitors? Absolutely, but where does it end?

• Spiriseeker,

I am curious why you edited your first post twice and deleted the Matrix part. If I recall correctly, I might be wrong though, you were not that positive about the Matrix solution in your first post altough the header is still mentioning the Matrix solution. Now it is a permanent resident of your studio. Please help me understand your opinion changes and for me somehow surprisingly outcome.

Thanks

In hindsight, and after much more time spent, I felt I was being a bit too critical and didn't want to inadvertently give the wrong idea. Sometimes I think we all jump too fast. Fortunately, I was able to fine tune my thoughts.

Thanks

• In hindsight, and after much more time spent, I felt I was being a bit too critical and didn't want to inadvertently give the wrong idea. Sometimes I think we all jump too fast. Fortunately, I was able to fine tune my thoughts.

Thanks

Is OK :) Was just hoping you would share your exact insights in the development of your opinion against your test results. That could be helpfull for the forum. Thanks anyway.