Power cable fuse rating?

• Hi there everyone.

I got my new Kemper Profiler yesterday, and I'm absolutely loving it so far - I'll post some more details and add some music links in the Introduce Yourself section pretty soon.

However, I've looked everywhere, both in these forums and in the manuals, and I can't find out the correct fuse rating to use in the power lead.

DV247, who I purchase the KPA from, included a generic UK power cable fitted with a 13amp fuse (in addition to the two non-UK power leads that came in the Kemper box), and I just need to check if that's the correct rating for the unit or whether I need to fit a lower rated fuse.

Many thanks in advance of any advice :)

Steve

• Hi Steve,

I had a similar problem when I purchased from Thomann from the UK. They didn't send me a UK power power cable and when I queried it they said they couldn't send me one!
    I got advised to just 'get a 'kettle lead'...
    Long story short - I emailed the Kemper support team and they are sorting me out one. I'm sure they could tell you the fuse rating. I've had a few problems with being sent wrong plugs and shops thinking/stating that fuses 'don't really matter' ... #housefire :)

If no one else chimes in the email is: [email protected]

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• Thanks Brett.

I actually had a bit of a row with DV247 over this. They clearly advertise on their website that they are based in the UK (the address they display is their Romford superstore), but my KPA was dispatched from their parent company's German warehouse. I rang them up and the guy said they should include a UK lead (which they did) but just to be on the safe side, he would send me a free one!

Both have a 13amp fuse already loaded, but I really want to be 100% certain I'm looking after my investment with a correctly rated fuse for the sake of a few pence.

I'm currently ploughing through the user guide, and even printing off the reference manual, to get on top of all this.

I really need to work out how to output a single mono signal (as opposed to summing the stereo Line Outs), and whether I can hook up the KPA to my PC directly with a USB lead instead of using a USB stick as an intermediary.

I'll get there! Thanks again for stopping by :)

• Digital Village... yep ran into the same problem recently with some Adam A7x monitors... shipped me the wrong power cable. Apparently they have been bought out by a the German company "Music Store" and there's been some rather savage store closures. Sounds very messy...

Re the mono output - you could just use the monitor out. But if this is for PC recording why not use Spdif, if you have the connections? Keeps the path all digital and should in theory be the best sound quality. At present there is no direct way to connect the KPA to a computer via USB, but there's apparently a librarian in the works - That issue comes up a few times around here ;)
    If you take a tour of the output options there are a host of different ways to configure the outputs - just post back if you haven't sorted it. Lots of knowledge in this community and the folk here are happy to impart what they've learned

Welcome aboard! :thumbup:

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• Welcome! ;)

Both have a 13amp fuse already loaded, but I really want to be 100% certain I'm looking after my investment with a correctly rated fuse for the sake of a few pence.

The power cables here in Germany are mostly rated with 10A, 250V.

I really need to work out how to output a single mono signal (as opposed to summing the stereo Line Outs),

Go to the master menu and choose master mono for the main outputs.

and whether I can hook up the KPA to my PC directly with a USB lead instead of using a USB stick as an intermediary.

No, that's not (yet) possible at the moment.

• I'm a bit lost...what do you mean by "power cable fuse rating"....?

Hi Trazan

Here in the UK, the fuse that protects any electrical device is usually inside the plug that attaches the item to the electric wall socket.

Every electrical item sold in the UK has, by law, to be supplied with a wall plug with the correctly rated fuse already installed (usually 13amp, 5amp or 3amp).

• Every electrical item sold in the UK has, by law, to be supplied with a wall plug with the correctly rated fuse already installed (usually 13amp, 5amp or 3amp).

If so, isn't that to protect cabling from overheating? Or is it some kind of surge protection for appliances that can catch fire if a power surge occurs? The Kemper only consumes milliamps so you wouldn't need much of a fuse 8)

Edited 2 times, last by Trazan ().

• If so, isn't that to protect cabling from overheating? Or is it some kind of surge protection for appliances that can catch fire if a power surge occurs? The Kemper only consumes milliamps so you wouldn't need much of a fuse 8)

I think you're right - which is why I steer well clear of electrics ;)

It's got something to do with how our properties are wired up differently to the rest of Europe - all the wall sockets are connected to a common 'ring main', which carries around 32amps. This circuit is protected by its own fuse or circuit breaker, but individual items plugged into this ring main could theoretically draw the whole of this current in the event of a short circuit in the appliance - hence the plugs have fuses that should blow and protect the cable and appliance if the amperage is raised above the safety level of the cable.

I found this, it explains it better that I ever could:

Fuses in plugs are used to protect the cable and device that they power.

If a major short circuit occurs in the cable or equipment, the excess current would cause the cable to catch fire.

The fuse in the plug would blow instead, thus preventing a fire.

Devices that only draw small amounts of current, can normally be operated quite safely with small, light, thin wire. This is fine until a fault occurs which shorts out the wire and the current drawn is enough to set the thin wire alight.

The house wiring is thicker and can stand larger currents up to the protection amperage of their own breaker, or fuse.

The small wire would set fire before the main fuse could blow. So by protecting the thinner wire with a small fuse in the plug, only the plug fuse will blow. This also helps indicate where the fault is.

A mains circuit fuse could have any number of devices on it.

• If this is the standard KPA (not the amplified version) then a 1 amp fuse is sufficient. The KPA draws less than 60 watts which is less than an amp. The purpose of the inline fuse in the power chord is to add short circuit protection. If a dead short occurs, the instantaneous amp draw will be very high and even the supplied 13 amp fuse will blow. You can run with anything over an amp up to the 13 amp if you like.

In the US, we run with no fuse at all with no issues. The inline fuse is just added protection in case of a short circuit.

bd

• Interesting, I don't find anything in the KPA manuals about an internal fuse, though I know there must be one ...

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

At 1:33 is a close up shot of the power supply. Can't see any kind of fuse there.

• Thanks for the input guys, and for the welcome Labrat! :)

Having browsed around other threads apart from this one, I'm noticing how friendly this place is, and how helpful everyone seems to be! That's so cool, especially how you guys seem to go out of your way to take care of us newbies :)

There was one additional question I had with regard to outputting into my DAW in mono, and forgive me if I don't know yet if the accepted protocol is to start a new thread for each question I have.

Having followed Ingolf's advice, I've tracked down the relevant information in the manual and I now know how to output a mono signal from the mains out. In stereo operation, I've been using the two quarter-inch jacks to connect my KPA to the two Line In jacks on my Line 6 UX2 interface. My question is, do I still need to use both outputs from KPA, or just one - and if so, which one - left or right?

The reason I ask is that on my old Line 6 POD2, which also has two separate left and right channel outputs, if one requires a mono output, one only has to use the left channel jack.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone, it's really appreciated :thumbup:

• T

Having followed Ingolf's advice, I've tracked down the relevant information in the manual and I now know how to output a mono signal from the mains out. In stereo operation, I've been using the two quarter-inch jacks to connect my KPA to the two Line In jacks on my Line 6 UX2 interface. My question is, do I still need to use both outputs from KPA, or just one - and if so, which one - left or right?

In the case of the Kemper it doesn't matter which output you choose once you have specified master mono for the main outputs.
    They will both carry an identical mono signal.