Performance Mode & Roland FC-300 - a guide

• Ok guys, I figured out how the performance mode works best with the Roland FC-300. Well, it took me some hours, but now every problem that occured is solved. It was clear to me, that I like to work in "Patch Mode" with the FC-300, because this is the only mode, where you can name the patches. By working this way the FC-300 can always display the name of the current rig, so I don't have to look at the KPA to be informed. This is my guide:

First problem with the FC-300:
    It can send Midi-CC# (50-54 for slots 1-5) in Patch Mode, but this way the up and down pedals don't work and you can't switch between perfomances. The FC-300 needs to send Midi-PC# in order to switch banks/perfomances.

Second problem with the FC-300:
    If you use Midi-PC# instead of CC# your way ends at perfomance 26, slot 3. In Perfomance Mode the KPA now displays "Midi Prg #128, Midi Bank #1". The FC-300 now needs to send a Midi-Bank-Change in order to switch to Midi Bank #2. How can this be achieved? You need to change some global settings on the FC-300.

1. Press "Utility" and with the Parameter- und Value-Buttons change "SYS: PC MODE" to "SOUND MODULE", "SYS:Bnk Chg Mode" to "WAIT FOR A NUM", "SYS:Bank Extent" to "5", "SYS:Bank Step" to "5STEP" and "SYS:Bank Display" to "LINEAR".
    2. Exit Utility
    3. Switch to Standard Mode
    4. Now the FC-300 will display "MSB 0 LSB 0"
    5. With the Parameter- und Value-Buttons change the value of LSB to 1
    6. Press Number Pedal 1
    7. You're now on Perfomance 51, slot 3
    8. The KPA will display: "Midi Prg #126, Midi Bank #2". Yeah, you've made a Midi-Bank-Change! You now have a new set of 128 Midi-PC# and access to the performances above performance 26, slot 3.
    9. Use the up and down pedals and the number pedals (remember: we are still on Perfomance 51, slot 3) to have access to Performance 26, slot 4 up to Perfomance 52, slot 1.
    10. If you want to have access to the Performances above that, repeat step 5 and change the value of LSB from 2 to 5 (that's why we changed "SYS:Bank Extent" to "5" on step 1).
    11. Switch back to Patch Mode on the FC-300
    12. Why "WAIT FOR A NUM" (step 1)? This way you can choose each slot to be the first within the next Performance. For example: If you're on Performance 1, slot 1 and you're pressing the up pedal, the KPA will NOT switch to Performance 2, slot 1. The FC-300 waits for a second press on one of the number pedals 1 (first slot) to 5 (fifth slot).

Third problem with the FC-300:
    It can store "only" 100 patches, so the patch names (which are displaying the rig names if you like and if you've named them all on the FC-300) are also limited to 100 or 20 Performances with 5 slots. Therefore I recommend to use some common patch names, not only song-specific names.

Programming the FC-300 is a little PITA. There is NO software editor for it, as far as I know! For me the easiest way was creating a default patch and then copy it to the other patches. I recommend thinking a while about what you will need in EACH of your patches und using this as a default patch. My default patch is named "P1 S1" (for Performance 1, slot 1), sends PC# 1 and sends CC# 31 (for accessing the tuner) by pressing the Expression Pedal 2 switch. If you - for example - like to have a Booster in stomp D on each of your rigs, then this might be a default setting for you.

When you have finished your default patch, then copy it to the next patches on the FC-300. On these next patches you now only have to change PC# and patch names (Perfomance # and slot #. Please have a look at the manual of the FC-300 regarding how to copy patches, name patches, change PC# and store patches.

You can now think about the detailed setup of each performance and about what the FC-300 should control on each individually slot. Use the two control buttons, the two pedals and the two pedal switches to have control over whatever you like to switch on the KPA. If this is not enough for you, you can plug in some more pedals on the backside of the FC-300. The last step is to give each patch on the FC-300 a more meaningful name.

Good luck!

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Thanks very much for sharing your work! Are you using the FC300 with both the KPA and a VG99, by chance? If so, does this setup on the FC300, work well with both units simultaneously? I am pairing up patches, using both, but have not yet utilized the FC300 with this combo. Either unit alone is incredible, but they sound totally innovative together, and my goal is to have the FC300 control both.
    Thanks again!

• Nice thread Kempermaniac. I'll check out your setup sometime soon. To be sincere though, although I really like the sturdiness of the FC-300, it's a damn drag to program. The FCB on the other hand is really easy going if you use the interface.

Cheers!

• it's a damn drag to program

You're right. That's why it was so important to me to create a default patch. And by editing the FC-300 you'll get more familiar with it. Everything gets easier then. For example: You can pass the sub-menus on the FC-300 by pressing and holding one of the parameter buttons (the one in which direction you DON'T want to go) and then pressing the other one as often as needed to get to the desired destination. Note: There's no scrolling by holding the other paramater button.

• The FCB on the other hand is really easy going if you use the interface.

You're right again. But the FCB can't display names, that's a big disadvantage to me. In a live situation I need to know which is the current rig without having a look at the KPA. I'm a control freak. 8o

• Thanks very much for sharing your work! Are you using the FC300 with both the KPA and a VG99, by chance? If so, does this setup on the FC300, work well with both units simultaneously? I am pairing up patches, using both, but have not yet utilized the FC300 with this combo. Either unit alone is incredible, but they sound totally innovative together, and my goal is to have the FC300 control both.

I've started using them together with the FC-300 in Sysex Mode. The VG-99 can be programmed to send bank select/PC messages and therefore all the performance slots are available. Not totally happy with it yet; it's still a WIP.

• Thank you for the instructions. I'm also using Kemper with FC-300. (BTW I also own a VG-99, never use them together).The only problem is: I don't get it to work. I followed your steps, but still the Kemper doesn't change the MIDI Prg # tot 2. It remains at 1... Is there anything else I need to change with the settings??

• I use the FC300 with my KPA and a Digitech GSP1101, a VG99 should work just as well. As Kempermaniac stated set them up to receive on the same midi channel the FC300 is transmitting on and use the midi through to get the signal to the last machine in the chain.

• Since two years I don't use the FC-300 so I'm not this familiar with it anymore. Besides this fact I don't know how to explain it more detailed than above. It IS already very detailed. I'd suggest that you follow the steps with the FC-300 in front of you. Or in other words: Reading the steps is not enough. :)

• is the FC300 plug and play? or i need to go through a complicated chain of settings etc. in order to be able to control the Kemper unit?

thanks

• is the FC300 plug and play? or i need to go through a complicated chain of settings etc. in order to be able to control the Kemper unit?

thanks

The FCB-300 is definitely not plug & play. You will have to do some programming which can be perceived from easy to difficult depending on your experience in programming units like these.

• I'd use Standard mode on the Roland to start off with, it's much simpler until you get used to the machine. So long as you set the FC300 and the Kemper to talk on the same Midi channel Rig and Bank changes will work without any tweaking. To set up the CTL and the Expression pedals you simply go through the FC300 screens (hit the parameter button to get started) and set each button/pedal to the CC# you want, all setting are global so you only have to do it once.

For example: for CTL 1: hit the right parameter button until the FC300 screen shows CTL 1, use the Value button to change the CC# to what ever you want CTL 1 to change. It saves the changes automatically in the Roland.

• I've started using them together with the FC-300 in Sysex Mode. The VG-99 can be programmed to send bank select/PC messages and therefore all the performance slots are available. Not totally happy with it yet; it's still a WIP.

Way to resurrect an old thread... I'm fairly close to putting a VG-99 in front of my KPA, and controlling it all with a FC-300 in SysEx mode over RRC2. My setup is going to be a little different and I'll get to that later on...

You can also program the VG to send #CC changes when you use buttons/EXP on the FC-300, it's assignable in the VG in the MIDI menu, or just use the editor. My idea is to output MIDI from the VG to the KPA, and just use the FC like I would normally use my FCB (Uno), but no signal going from the VG, so it doesn't really matter what I do with the FC. From what I can gather, in KPA performance mode the PC values are set just like the VG, so preset 1 (Bank 1/Slot 1) will be a PC #001 = Performance 1/Slot 1, preset 6 (Bank 2/Slot1) will be a PC #006 = Performance 2/Slot 1 etc.

I haven't confirmed this yet, but I'm hoping in Performance 2, I can set the input to SPDIF, so when I go to bank 2 on the FC, I will get signal from the VG, and just run this signal through the KPA, into my monitor and also the FOH. Why SDPIF? Just to save on a D/A/D conversion! I probably won't be using the VG for amp/fx, but there's no reason why I can't use the VG for guitar modelling/synth and the KPA for amp/fx stuff.

I don't have my KPA with me, can someone confirm you can assign an input to a Performance "bank"? e.g. set it to Front Input for Performance 1, SDPIF in for Performance 2, and maybe even Alternative Input for Performance 3? :)

I may want to use my piezo in front of the KPA signal chain (instead of an insert, which I've read there might be HF issues) hence thinking Performance 3 for Alternative Input.

If this all works it could be extremely cool for my particular setup. I don't use more than 5 slots in Performance mode at a gig, so I can name the 1-5 slots in the VG the same as the KPA (so they appear on the FC screen), then once I get to 6-10 slots I'm using the VG as you "normally" would then potentially 11-15 could be piezo stuff.

This all make sense? I want to go test it all but don't have my KPA here, and the guitar I'm getting built with a hex output is a while away from being finished.

• I checked the manual and it says input settings are global and not set my rig, darn.

My other option is to enable SDPIF input via NRPN but will obviously need a #CC to NRPN converter, plus I don't know if it will disable if the NRPN # is sent again.

I'll ask someone to do some testing for me...