I Think I'm Ready For A Kemper, But I'm Afraid Of The Technology.

• I may be way off base, but wouldn't using a guitar cab defeat the purpose of the profiled amps in the Kemper? How is the profile you're using going to be affected by the cab you're running through? I thought that is the reason for using FRFR's, so the profile sounds like the original. ?(

A guitar cab will naturally color the profile you're using while an FRFR cab (by definition) shouldn't.
    Thanks to the cabdriver feature (introduced in firmware 1.5) you can still get the core of different profiles when using a guitar cab though.
    This is a feature that is very unique to the the KPA and works great.

• If you've been playing real tube amps all of your life and you're used to have guitar cabinets and some power behind these cabinets ... well, you might be disappointed with these small speakers. They simply don't move much air and their surround and diaphragm might be to soft to give that tough response you're used to get from guitar cabinets. All I can say: If you're not satisfied with the combination of KPA and your M-Audio BX8 speakers ... it's not the KPA that you don't like. ;)

Cheers,
    Martin

I listened to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qs4arEelwM
    through Bose Companion 3 computer speakers and I'd be perfectly happy playing and getting this tone. No, it doesn't have the same affect as sitting in front of my amps. But, it sounds great to me. The BX8 D2's should produce better sound than the Bose.

• I may be way off base, but wouldn't using a guitar cab defeat the purpose of the profiled amps in the Kemper? How is the profile you're using going to be affected by the cab you're running through? I thought that is the reason for using FRFR's, so the profile sounds like the original. ?(

You're right, but I think paults tried to make a point in telling you about the difference between studio/home speakers and PA speakers, just like I did in my post. There are FRFR speakers specifically made for PA purposes and they have more power, much harder surrounding and diaphragm, 10" or even 12" diameter. They can move much more air and can easily give you a decent punch in the stomach while playing loud. You won't get this punch with small studio monitors. If you don't miss this kind of physical punch while playing you might be very happy with these M-Audio speakers. You'll have to try. :)

I listened to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qs4arEelwM
    through Bose Companion 3 computer speakers and I'd be perfectly happy playing and getting this tone.

Then you should be fine with your M-Audio speakers. :)

Cheers,
    Martin

• A guitar cab will naturally color the profile you're using while an FRFR cab (by definition) shouldn't.
    Thanks to the cabdriver feature (introduced in firmware 1.5) you can still get the core of different profiles when using a guitar cab though.
    This is a feature that is very unique to the the KPA and works great.

Wow! this keeps getting better and better. I'm finding out all kinds of info I didn't know about. The Cabdriver sounds like the best way to go for live home playing.

• Wow! this keeps getting better and better. I'm finding out all kinds of info I didn't know about. The Cabdriver sounds like the best way to go for live home playing.

Snowbird, scroll down http://www.kemper-amps.com/news (down to 1.5) to read up on cabdriver.

• Snowbird, what sounds best is all about personal preference and some prefer playing the Kemper through a traditional amp and guitar cab and some prefer the monitor frfr because it offers all the tone options. The first will give the "amp in the room" sound but the speaker in a guitar cab will always colour the sound a lot, unlike an frfr speaker. I like having both options and the frfr is great when a lot of tone variety is needed.
    A good forum thread with poweramp + cab setups.
    Kemper through power amp + guitar cab - does this work well?
    Here are some videos with the kemper profiling amp setup with power amp and guitar cabs with mics.
    The kemper cabs are bypassed here so the cabdriver function is automatically activated then.

kemper running into the peavey power amp then to a pair of cabs with a mic on each cab.
    [YOUTUBE]

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

[/YOUTUBE]

Fryette Modeling Workshop Volume III: Kemper Profiling Amplifier.
    [YOUTUBE]

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

[/YOUTUBE]

RockGuitarPanya, noodling with Kemper profiling amplifier through a Mesa
    [YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

• HappyKemper, thanks for all the videos and link. You really went out of your way and I appreciate it. Glad I found this forum. Much better than all the bickering from the Axe FX and Kemper people on The Gear Page.

• Much better than all the bickering from the Axe FX and Kemper people on The Gear Page.

Absolutely! This forum has had a few low moments, but overall it's been extremely friendly and helpful. :thumbup:

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Snowbird, what sounds best is all about personal preference and some prefer playing the Kemper through a traditional amp and guitar cab and some prefer the monitor frfr because it offers all the tone options. The first will give the "amp in the room" sound but the speaker in a guitar cab will always colour the sound a lot, unlike an frfr speaker. I like having both options and the frfr is great when a lot of tone variety is needed.
    A good forum thread with poweramp + cab setups.
    Kemper through power amp + guitar cab - does this work well?
    Here are some videos with the kemper profiling amp setup with power amp and guitar cabs with mics.
    The kemper cabs are bypassed here so the cabdriver function is automatically activated then.

kemper running into the peavey power amp then to a pair of cabs with a mic on each cab.

This first video sounds fantastic to me and really demonstrates some seriously useful sounds coming from the Kemper. It also shows great potential of sounds not using a FRFR which is interesting.
    I need to find other posts by this person because it's pretty helpful.

Thanks for posting.
    RC

• This first video sounds fantastic to me and really demonstrates some seriously useful sounds coming from the Kemper. It also shows great potential of sounds not using a FRFR which is interesting.
    I need to find other posts by this person because it's pretty helpful.

Thanks for posting.
    RC

RC-that first video is by FastRedPonyCar. He has plenty on this forum as well as Youtube.

• regarding real amp vs Kemper feel.

I can give you my first impressions, I've got kemper just last Saturday, so only 2 days to play with.

I run it through my 10 years old Roland nearfield monitors and modern firewire good quality sound interface. Next to it I have a couple of high end valve amps (most of them cost more than Kemper, each of them), my favourite being Cornford Carrera, which is extremely touch sensitive amp (it brings out the best (and the worst in your playing, totally unforgiving)). I play it (the amp) every day so I am well used to how it feels and sounds.
    I used to have a couple of modellers in the past (Tonelab, Line 6), and while I could get some of them sound all right, they never felt anywhere close to proper valve amp, so i ditched them all and never looked back.

it's not an issue with Kemper at all. I'd say (my first impression) it's 95% there which is fantastic achievement. All I can say is I loaded a Carrera profile and it's scary close to what I get from real amp. Am I going to sell my analog gear? Maybe.. :), 3 days ago I'd not even consider it.
    It doesn't exactly sound like standing next to an amp, it sounds more like monitoring a cranked amp through studio monitors, but it's non an issue.

My next step is one of these recommend Yamaha PA speakers.