Posts by 1Towneley

Thanks,

Sorry I wasn't clear, this is an issue unrelated to recording. If I do a straight A vs B test & play with a studio profile with...

1. Headphones in KPA

Vs

2. Headphones taken straight out & plugged into Focusrite

... They sound fundamentally different. The Focusrite seems to drastically reduce any effects & all profiles sound kinda similar. Put the headphones back into the KPA and they're all much nicer & "hifi". Difference is night and day.

Hi everyone,

I run main outputs into a Focusrite 6i6, then out to both headphones or good monitors. I run a PC into the Focusrite with my recording software on, or to play backing tracks in.

The difference between the sound from the Focusrite headphone socket vs the kemper headphone socket is night and day. They sound totally different. Kemper much better. But then I can't use that to play tracks over.

For example, Space function sounds amazing from the kemper, but has no effect through the Focusrite. I use mod mono setting but even changing this to eg. Mod stereo doesn't bring the Focusrite headphone out signal anywhere near the kemper headphone out.

I was struggling with a profile today via the Focusrite (trebly, scratchy, digital) & out if curiosity I plugged my headphones into the kemper itself... It sounded absolutely incredible.

Amy I doing something daft here, because I can't believe that the kemper can essentially have two qualities of output...!

It rebooted after about 10 mins of going through a process of "checking cache" etc, but when it restarted....

1. All my rigs still there.

2. All my performances still there with correct names.... BUT all slots defaulted to Crunch.

3. It restarted fine (and much faster than before) like that.

When I tried a restore from USB it went back to the "Defective preset" thing & rebooted with the lengthy fixing process again. Again all performances gone.

Eventually rebuilt a performance from scratch for the gig as I knew what base profiles I had in... but not the same as playing with a saved set of refined performances. The performances had been tweaked live. Absolute disaster narrowly avoided.

Also lost all of my performances that I play at home obviously. Can be rebuilt in time but that issue was poorly timed to say the least....

Hi,

I play in a metal covers band. Got live tone pretty much nailed using a great ENGL profile. That works well for all Metallica stuff etc.

Thing is, we're starting to cover more down tuned stuff (drop C) and that just sounds mushy. I use a different guitar but it's same make (ESP) and same pups (Emg). Heavier string gauge.

I downloaded a few peavey 6505 profiles & also dabbled with a few free ones & I just can't get the tones to cut with the band. Applied all wisdom I learned on here to em & still no joy.

Playing a powerhead into a Marshall 4x12 BTW.

Any ideas?

The point here is that I never knew this in my Valve amp days :). Its somethign I've only discovered since getting the KPA.

Using the KPa has made me aware of so many other factors that you do not think about with a conventional set up ...which I think is a big plus!

Really good point that & same for me. Learned more about those factors using a kemper than I had in years using tube or early SS amps.

This is right on. IME, these basic concepts are not put into practice very well. The volume and tone knobs on our guitars are there for a reason and they actually work. Low cut is a great tool and 170Hz is not brutal in any way. The majority of guitarists employ too much low end. I really dislike playing bass with those guys. Invariably, it is a muddy mess. Many musicians don't know how to allow space in the room. For me, it all starts with the drummer. The drummer sets the basic level in most cases. I love it when I ask the drummer to play louder, but it almost never happens. How to achieve a dynamic, balanced mix with space is different in every band, but it is almost always a combination of the points Don(and others) mentioned. YMMV...

I was a newbie to it all until recently & honestly was surprised at some of the advice & opinion that circulates. I was getting super frustrated... Got kemper expecting (I know... Wrongly) a use out of box experience but I was waaaay short in live setting with both Kones & cab. I've probably spent way more than needed to get there but hey it was fun & good experience.

Most online articles say cut under 100 Hz. One said "some players even go up as far as 150 to 180" hence my post wording.

I play with a very hard hitting drummer plus a lead guitarist who sets his level very high, esp on leads, and it took me a while to figure out that I was as near as dammit to "good live tone" but he was a major part of the equation. That might sound "duh" on here but it is a hobby & not a job for me. Playing live certainly. 20 years of bedroom noodling then a late in life band join isn't great schooling.

My point was, that for users like me, just saying "get the right profile" isn't wrong but it risks frustration with an inexperienced user. I'm now using a profile I have had for 2 years with frustrating results & now crushing it. The only variables there are 1) having the chat about band dynamics & 2) EQ.

Post I'm replying to confirms that. Tone knobs, low cut, dynamics. You guys might think that's a no brainer but to a relative newbie, it isn't.

Unfortunately, the fact a profile cost money - and is from a reputable source - doesn’t guarantee suitability for a specific purpose.

Some of the most useless profiles (for me) are from makers others swear by. Some of the most useful were free.

Agree. But I have paid for direct profiles (now I'm using cab) & studio (when I used Kones) from some of the best names like Sinmix, Cililab etc & while they are generally excellent they have all needed EQ. And same for well regarded free user posted ones.

Honestly not yet had a profile of any sort that I loaded in & used as is. So my point is that, in my experience, the right profile gets you so far. But just to say "buy the right profile" risks missing what I've seen to be a critical component.