Posts by BayouTexan

Can I use a Marshall Code 50 for a temp cab until the Kabinets get re-stocked? The Code has an aux input for jamming along with cell phone or other. I would just go Kemper Monitor OUT ---> Code AUX IN? I know this is not ideal but would sound closer than regular Celestion cabs I have since the Code has a so-called modeling speaker??

I want to have separate amps for L and R channels (two amp setup). Say, Marshall 800 left and a Fender Twin right. But Kemper only allows one instance. Could I DI my input and run the Marshall rig and then the Fender rig separately to mix those tracks for dual mono in my DAW? I want to be able to just play a riff once and not have to overdub a second track for the second amp. Is that the way to do it?

What do you feel is the best place for profiling your amps/cabs? I already know about optimal mic placement but I am curious as to what you prefer for cab. I have a 2.5 x 8 foot, or a 2.5 x 3 foot closet that I can setup at home for an iso booth. Both have carpeted floors. Do you guys bother with all that? Would profiling in my studio with wood floors be just as good. Does the amp need to raised on an amp stand (which I have)? Etc. Thanks.

I know exactly what you mean. The '59's must be matched right with the proper amp and settings to get the most out of it tone wise, either for clean or to get that hi-gain "woman" tone. I can split mine so I have way more options. But when taking about clean tone, nothing beats Fender and SD SSL singles. They are heavenly!

I have been using Amplitube 4 for the last couple of weeks and have got some pretty dang good hi-gain metal tones out of it. No fizz or grit. The clean tones are just as nice. I don't know how well the amp and cab sims or modeled for that program, but in the end -- I just want good tone. Amplitube 4 blows Helix out of the water. It's great for recordings and playback thru studio monitors.

I am hoping Kemper blows away Amp 4 tone wise. Then I am "there". But I would recommend trying out Amplitube 4 as a plugin and as precursor to digital modeling.

Can you play with a single-coil pup to see if the sound is drastically different --It should not be. You usually get a little less gain and a brighter (or more "brittle") top end when switching from humbucker to single coil when using a moderate gain setting on the same amp. But going from a Fender amp to a Marshall amp is like night and day no matter if you are going clean or hi-gain stuff.

Low pass is high frequencies. High pass is low frequencies. So dang confusing. Usually, the only other frequency you want to EQ is somewhere in the mids. Boost those signals higher with an EQ, from the 250k, - 1k range, to see if that frequency annoys you more - then you know what frequency it is and you can cut it down.

What do you guys do if you create a profile with stereo delay or ambiance and then go live with it? Do you just leave the profile as is and just go mono to FOH, or do you modify that profile for just mono delay, etc, or does Kemper merge it to mono when sending out just one output?

Do you guys pan your FOH signal opposite of bassist when live? But what about when you have 2 guitarists? I'm curious about using a PA system in venues that require it. I've never came across a FOH that sounds good. Most are just muddy and distorted as poop.

I've decided to purchase a Kemper system. What sold me on it was actually the Amplitube 4 plugin. I was finally able to get a great studio quality tone with no top end "fizz" or "grit", and not have to lose my mind with endless IR profiles like in the Helix system (what a mess!). If the Kemper can perform just 10% better than the Amplitube plugin then I should be pretty dam happy.

This is my planned purchase (in picture) excluding some Headrush monitors and the Kemper foot controller which I am also getting.

Questions:

1). Do I have the Main Output shown as best for recording into audio interface? XLR<-->XLR. The Kabinet will be muted or unplugged during recording.

2). What is the single Monitor Output used for? A floor monitor for live stage use?

3). Can I have two separate profiles running with one for left and one for right channel stereo recording?

If all you are ever going to do is play at home and do some recordings then you want to take advantage of Stereo. So, good monitors and headsets are needed. When you go to record, you have the option in your DAW to use stereo or mono tracks depending on what sounds the best in the mix and the genre of music you are playing. Mono tracks definitely have their place in songs, and you can always use dual mono to simulate a stereo effect in recordings, but using stereo with stereo effects is where it's at, IMO! for home use.

I have found that, with high gain amps, you can get "pre- squeallies" if you attack the string with the pick at an angle instead of holding it totally perpendicular to the string. I will purposely attack at an angle to get that "pre-squeally" sound for some songs. To lesson the effect without changing your pick technique, try some Jazz III nylon picks, 1.38 I think. I use the XL size because the standards are tiny as heck. The nylons will deaden the sound of pick attack (great for recording). Tortex, Ultex, and Synthbone are very bright sounding that contribute to the sound you are getting.

I am personally using Logitech G430 wireless headset for my personal use specifically for group meetings and conference calls and I would recommend you to use this because it is a very good option instead of the handfrees or earbuds and It is quite affordable. Wireless headphones works best according to me. They are easy to wear and easy to use.

I have a pair of G930s. Man, they are heavy as poop, but do great 7.1 surround simulation for games. I never once thought about using them over my studio headphones because they are not FRFR, but I might try just for the heck of it because people listen to music with all kinds of weird stuff, like airPods, cell phone speakers, baby monitors (if you have a rockin' child), etc. ;)