Posts by ExoThrasher

I bought my Kemper head about a year and a half ago and I have been loving it since. I bought a headrush 108 FRFR monitor with it and that's what I've used since. Obviously it sounds great, I love it, but it's not "amp in the room", it doesn't have the feeling, but the pure sound to you ear is stellar.

The Kemper was my first really nice piece of gear, before that the only amp I ever owned or really played much was my spider valve 112. I actually played it for a sec today for shits and I realized how much I miss playing through an actual guitar cabinet. The tone isn't as good on the line 6 but the harmonics come through differently via a 12 inch guitar speaker vs a 8 inch FRFR with a tweeter or whatever.

Coincidentally I also bought a Peavey Triple XXX a few months ago, because I'm now a Wannabe gearhead and it's an amp that was used on some of my favorite albums. I haven't bought a cab yet but I'm going to very soon and I know many people run their Kemper through a guitar cab. I'm thinking I'm gonna get a 412, probably a Mesa. And I'll also be able to run my Kemper through that cab, so my question is, is running the Kemper through a real guitar cab and not a Kemper kabinet, with the cab simulation turned off, the same as "amp in the room" feeling??

I know some of my favorite artists use Kempers live, into a tube power amp and into 412s and I'm assuming using a different signal to FOH. What is your guys opinion on this? I'm gonna get a guitar cab either way, I'm just excited to be able use the Kemper through it as well.

I need to check for sure what OS I'm running, but this has happened to me at least a few times, luckily just at home practicing. I was going to post a thread about it too, but I forgot.

It has also happened to me in previous OS, not sure which one, I've always had freezing issues. It sucks because it's literally the only thing wrong with the Kemper. To me one of the biggest upsides of the Kemper is how useful it is in a live setting, but if it freezes during a performance, then you would have been better off with a tube amp. It's not like it happens all the time, but it pisses me off when I I playing and then I go to switch profiles or switch to performance mode and the screen just doesn't move. And then you go to turn it off and the screen still doesn't change, it just turns off suddenly. And this is not new on this OS. It's happened to me on like every OS, not frequently but it does happen. It shouldn't ever happen

When I first got the kemper, I struggled with dialing in sounds that I was happy with. I was still very new to audio terminology, hardware, software, and training my ear for actually good tone. I've always loved awesome, crushing high gain sounds, and I could have told you what was a good tone, but I had a much harder time discerning amazing tone from tone that was really aggressive and full of gain, but really was kind of shitty in the end. Going from only playing a Line 6 Spider Valve mkii growing up, straight to the kemper was a huge jump with a big learning curve. At some point I started to get tones I liked more out of the Kemper, sometime around the time I turned my definition to 10. (LOL) I am using a Headrush 108 FRFR speaker, and I always thought that the tones sounded very muffled, very muddy, and with no clarity or cut to them, especially for high gain. I would on a ENGL profile, or a Mesa profile, or a Diezel profile, and it sounded like the recorded sound of turning a Dual Rectifier on, keeping the volume at 1 so it was barely producing sound, and turning the gain to 10, and playing that, and then once it was recorded, listening to that sound amplified to listenable volumes. If you can imagine doing that with a tube amp. Like NOTHING like what a guitar amp actually sounds like.

So I eventually solved this problem by compensating with a shit ton of definition, a shit ton of treble, and a shit ton of presence, and putting one of the 3 "Metal Equalizers" in the FX loop.

Now at this point, I feel like I'm about 3/4 of the way to good tone. It is very clear, and very very aggressive, and it sounds good to the untrained ear. But I know, that its far from perfect. My tones have a shit ton of crunch, but they sound a little bit artificial, a little "Boss Metal Zone" ish, just a little bit, they arent terrible. That is probably partly from the Equalizer in the FX loop, and partly from the extreme definition. Every other amp parameter is basically at stock. Bias is at 0, pick is at zero, clarity is at zero, pure cab is at zero, direct mix is at zero, tube shape is at 3.3, compressor is at zero, sagging is at zero.

I guess I struggle to get a good balance between no muddy, flubby, muffled-ness in my tone, with enough aggressive gain and punch with high mids, treble, and presence, balanced with not sounding too artificial and fake. When I watch videos of my favorite guitarists demoing my favorite tones, from a mic'd amp, which is supposedly what the kemper should sound like, it just has such a more organic crunch, like its actually a much cleaner sound, way less noise, (and I dont mean noise youd kill with a gate) but for example if they hit a power chord or tremolo pick the low E string, it has so much clarity , like I can hear the note so much better, yet its still insanely aggressive and dripping with gain. I'm not talking about modern metal tones, where it sounds like neutered high gain distortion, I'm talking about more like super aggressive thrash and death metal tones.

I have tried backing off the gain. It helps a little bit. I think my ears get trained to one thing and then its hard for me to comprehend a better tone when I'm playing it.

I also notice that if someone else plays my guitar I get a much better feel for the tone than I do when I'm playing, which is partly psychological and partly where I am sitting in relation to my FRFR speaker. I also notice that with this FRFR, the "sweet spot" is very small, and the sound completely changes with by inches of movement or angle to the speaker. Like I basically have to have it pointing directly at my head to hear the "true" tone, otherwise if I am off to the side it is a little bit ambiguous, slightly.

Maybe my problem is that I twist the knobs too much. Maybe I need to be more subtle, and have a finer, more finesse type of care for listening to the tones and realizing "oh that actually sounds pretty good" instead of, no, it needs a shit ton more presence. I dont know. just my observations

I just found out today that we are not allowed to re-upload a profile that we have edited if we did not create the profile itself.

I am wondering if I can just export a few rigs that are my favorite and send them to a good friend of mine so he can try them. They were not commercially purchased profiles, in fact 2 of them were stock I believe but the best one is a free profile from the RE that I tweaked to be exactly what I want.

Is there something preventing me from doing this?

I have never recorded or used an interface before so I figured I could save the money that it costs to get an inteface that supports SPDIF and get the Scarlett Solo which I've heard good things about.

It slipped my mind at the time i was buying it because i didn't really know that the XLR input on the Scarlett is for microphones and the line in is meant for instruments. I thought i could go XLR out of the kemper XLR into the interface but now I'm realizing thats not how its meant to be.

I realize now that I am more confused about the way i should run my kemper unpowered toaster into the scarlett. It has instrument line in and XLR but I think the XLR input is spec'd for microphones.

Also I want to monitor (or atleast play thru at the same time as tracking) with my powered FRFR cab which im currently running xlr out of monitor left to instrument cable into the FRFR. Not sure how i would do this while also using the interface. Any advice or thoughts are appreciated thank you.

Also interested, i like Exodus guitar tone too

What amps they use, sounds bit like 5150 style or is it just this midrange tone which cuts through

Generally there is lots of studio mixing and eq and post processing on record versions and sometimes its even not possible to re-create tone with guitrar/amp by itself, also on youtube or gear demo videos, there is tons of post-processing but how they sound on live or on live records ?

I've heard Gary play in a video where he is just showing how to play some riffs, no studio editing, and he has the same tone. He said he ran a parametric EQ in front of the amp, only running the mid band, and somehow that gave it that crazy bite. I read on a 10+ year old forum post on this subject that he did that, then on the amp heads EQ, he scooped the mids, after they were boosted with the parametric EQ in front.

And yeah it does kinda sound like a 5150 tone, but I think it's slightly more than that. I know on the Atrocity Exhibiton record he used a Peavey Triple XXX, and on Exhibit B he used an ENGL Savage 120, and on the last one Blood In Blood Out he used a Kemper profile of his modded JCM800 (with this EQ effect happening)

I am just wondering if this effect/ tone is something you can simulate with the Kemper alone and not a physical parametric EQ, I am not quite good enough at dialing in profiles or with audio engineering in general to have figured it out

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I am a huge fan of Exodus and Gary Holt and

he has some of the sickest metal tone out there in my opinion, AND he uses Kempers a lot. The caveat being he uses profiles of his own amps.

Anyway, on the last 3 Exodus albums, the guitar tone has this crazy super aggressive mid attack that he describes as "almost wah like" to me it sounds so mean. Gary says he gets the tone by using a parametric EQ in front of the amp and boosting the shit out of the mids, and i am assuming scooping them on the amp (that's what i heard on another forum) to me it sounds like its kind of "filtered" (I know that's the wrong word) but its so cool and I wish I could know how to get that effect. Anyone who's audio savvy/good at dialing in metal tones have any insight?

In the that example I linked, the song funeral hymn, on that album it sounds really dirty but crisp and super distorted and on the next one Beyond the pale, the tone is so clear and crisp but so ripping. I just want to know how its possible to even get a sound like that. I know its not studio magic because I've seen videos of him doing demos with the same tone.

it seems the amp parameters (clarity, bias, definition, etc) are locked and saved and therefore every rig I switch to has the same settings in those parameters. How can I unlock this so it goes back to default?

Totally agree...either he plays VERY loud or I suspect something to do with the output levels not set correctly. I suspect the latter.....

yeah there is no no way. I have a Headrush FRFR108 (8 inch speaker vs 12) and it gets really loud. I love playing super loud cabs but ive never turned that speaker up past 1/3rd of the way up (because of my living situation) but even at that setting it's loud as hell. Its either output settings or he just doesnt have his master volume and the volume on the headrush both turned as high as he thinks he does.

I definitely recommend S/PDIF if you have the option. I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 with a couple of S/PDIF (input/output) cables. A lot of people use Studio One, though my DAW of choice is Reaper. One reason I prefer Reaper is its sheer flexibility. The user interface, appearance, behavior, all of it, everything is customizable. Another reason is that it's extremely stable. I'm using Windows and I can't remember the last time it crashed. Before I started using Reaper, I was using Samplitude. I was extremely familiar with and loved Samplitude. However, I started using Reaper because I was having issues running an older version of Samplitude in Windows 10(the newer version had some bugs). I didn't want to switch DAWs, but I didn't really have a choice. However, after spending a little time configuring Reaper, I actually ended up preferring it over Samplitude. When I try to use Samplitude now, it feels a bit lacking and unwieldy. I should also mention that Reaper is free to demo, and when the demo runs out, you can still keep using it. That being said, Reaper costs $60, which is approx. 1/7th the price of Studio One Professional.

Anyway, I play through Sennheiser HD600 headphones exclusively; however, I use a pair of Mackie HR824 monitors for mixing.

thanks for the info man. I have heard good things about S/Pdif, my understanding is that it is better quality (and i would assume lower latency) due to the signal not being converted to analog and then back to digital. I don't see any reason not to use it besides that an interface with Spdif might be a little bit more expensive.

And I think I will give reaper a shot since its free, that was my other choice between that and studio one. Ive heard a lot of good things about it, and I like as well try it before i spend $400 on studio one. The only thing I have heard about reaper that made me want to go toward studio one is that because reaper is so customizable that it might have a steep learning curve and not be as intuitive (I just read that in one article dont have any idea if its actually true)

I have a toaster and recently bought a laptop, and want to start recording and my goal is to make a lot of music in the future. For now I'm only interested in recording guitar, possibly 2 though in the future. From what ive heard, S/Pdif is the best way to go via kemper to interface. My computer has USB 3.0 but no thunderbolt. Also from what I've seen Presonus Studio One seems like a very good DAW. I'm playing thru a Headrush FRFR which I'm actually pretty happy with, and I plan to go DI monitored with the Headrush unless using monitors or headphones would be a better option.

So I wanted to see what interface, cables, and DAW and monitors/headphones you guys are using and how you like it/ your opinions plus any other equipment you guys are using for recording and production.

Hey guys. I have had the Kemper profiler stage for over a year now, but still don’t feel like I’ve come anywhere close to my tone sounding anything like the tone that I hear online from other users. To me, all of the stock profiles sound the same and/or very similar, it’s not like listening to different amps, which is the whole point of the profiles. That being said, I just play/listen through QSC 12.2 speakers and some cheaper headphones, so I’m wondering if I go ahead and invest in a kemper kone, if I will find that true amp tone I’m looking for? Seems like I should already get great tone because your kemper gets routed to a PA anyways.

Maybe QSC speakers just aren’t great for the kemper or maybe it’s just me, but I literally can’t tell a significant difference between profiles. The only difference I hear on profiles is only effects/gain. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated, as I’ve been very disappointed with my kemper, and thought about just going back to a regular amp, while everyone else loves theirs lol.

I'm using a headrush FRFR and I have very similar problems

Thank you very much, I will try all of these things. I have a question, what is HPF and LPF, and what does stereo widener do?

I've thought about getting a cab like a mesa or Marshall 4x12 and running the kemper thru it with a tube power amp because ive heard that can sound good. Maybe a Kabinet would be better though in the future. Either way, in about 6 months when I have a place to be a little louder, I will be upgrading from this FRFR to something better

I am mainly a metal player and I am always chasing crushing tones with great attack and those perfect mids.

Ive played guitar for almost 10 years growing up, but I didnt know a lot about gear, and for most of that time I was playing a line 6 spider valve combo... I had been wanting a better amp for along time so I got the kemper head. No experience with modeling or multifx or digital amps. I do love audio tech though and this has been a great learning experience so far.

When I go thru the preset rigs, like the EVH rigs, the Mesa Riga, and the ENGL rigs (all which "should" sound amazing) they all sound very far away, foggy/fuzzy/muffled, no clarity, no bite, and if I try a distortion or boost its either super thin and super fizzy or flubby and as stated above .

Pure cabinet is off, direct is off, ive played with definition and clarity a lot, to no avail. The only thing I've really had luck with in terms of high gain tones is the Peavey XXX (one of my favorite real amps) with a graphic EQ pre-amp stack boosting the shit out of the mids, and then scooping them on the AMP EQ, as well as turning the bass treble and presence way up. Sounds pretty good but still not exactly amp in the room. But damn close.

I don't know about turning monitor cab on/off and the output volume settings. I am wondering id having the master volume up and the FRFR on low volume, vs having master volume down and having the FRFR on high volume makes a difference. I almost always play with rig volume close to full or at full volume.

My setup is an unpowered toaster into a headrush FRFR 108 running an XLR cable out of the left out to the headrush(I dont know whether that matters, I was told to run it that way). I KNOW this amp is capable sounding great, ive heard someone play it live and it sounded as good or better than a tube amp.

I know the FRFR I have isnt top of the line but it should be ok for bedroom jamming.

I really really want to love the kemper and as of right now I really like it but in some ways my line 6 actually sounded better (I know how blasphemous that is. But I just have not found the right settings on this yet and I cant seem to find help. Ive tried to figure this out myself for a while and not ask but I want good sound)