Posts by JEverly

I have never heard of that modeler. He may be playing some Satriani but he is definitely not Satriani.

After watching the videos, well, as much of them as I could take, the guy in the first one made it sound a lot better than the preset video. I couldn't make it very far into that video. Those presets were terrible.

May I ask you which PA speaker you use? Generally speaking, if you use them on the floor (like monitor wedges) they produce (project) more low end. Maybe you've unintentionally tuned your rigs to compensate for the lack of "body" while on a stand?

I used a QSC K8. I am using a profile of the amp the speaker is setting next to as well as Tone Junkie profiles of a Dirty Shirley amp. The only thing I adjusted on the TJ profiles is to dial back the effects on them. The profiles of my amp sound just like my amp does in the room when played through the K8 at a similar volume. I didn't EQ any of the profiles from the original captures. I am super happy with how the sound through the PA speaker. I can bring a K12 in and hook it up to see if they get more low end in them. I would say that the top end on the profiles sounds better through the PA speaker as well.

I am very aware of the coupling effect of having a cabinet on the floor. That is why I put the speaker on a stand. I wanted to hear what it is going to sound like coming out of the FOH. I use the K12s for my FOH speakers. I figured if I had the cabinet on the floor I may dial out low end due to coupling and then have a very thin sounding guitar through the FOH. I haven't adjusted the profiles or heavily EQ'd them. I can also EQ it back in the DAW. I was just a little surprised at the difference.

I finally started getting back into doing a little recording this past weekend. This is the first time since I replaced my interface. I was previously using an Eleven Rack so all of the modeling was built into my interface. I connected my Kemper using SPDIF to my new interface and it is working perfectly.

One thing that I noticed is that my profiles sound so much thicker and darker than they do through a PA speaker. I dialed all of them in through a PA speaker on a stand setting next to the amp that I typically gig. I turned them up to the same volume level and then tweaked the profiles. I honestly didn't have to adjust much. However, through the SPDIF connection into my computer everything became darker and thicker. Where I really noticed it was when I plugged a 60s spec telecaster in and the bridge pickup had a great thick rock sound. That definitely caught my attention.

I tried a couple of strats and guitars with single coil neck pickups in the because that is the tone I was looking for and knew they would all sound just a little different. I was amazed at how different they sounded through this connection. I made a few tweaks to get it sounding like I wanted it to. I can definitely see the value in having profiles setup for recording and others for live playing. I was not expecting this result at all. It sounded a lot different than it does through a PA speaker. The differences in the guitars was more noticeable as well.

This is just an observation that I have after experiencing this. It was easy enough to work around. I can see why some people complain about their profiles being really dark now.

Ah cool man! im listening through headphones everything sounds better through my headphones im starting to think its my monitors i blummin well hope its not hahaha even through my interface the profiles sound more fuller in my headphones. Through my HS7s they are flat (that's what the HS7's were designed to be) but the downside is i tend to compensate by adding bass on a tone that is probably already bass heavy because i cant hear that low end on my HS7s . So my next investment is probably monitors that are a bit more untreated room friendly...booo! it just doesnt end lol.

Think about getting the subwoofer for the HS7s if you don't have it. That is what I run. It definitely helps me.

Yep, I know that and it's helpful if you need that "compact" (evened out) volume. I know that the way you pick the strings still controls the range from clean to crunch ... if the profile allows for it. But ... is it really necessary to even out things? Why are some people so afraid of playing quiet?

Let me offer you to watch one of the greatest dynamic electric guitar performances ever. But do yourself a favour. It's almost half an hour long. Don't spoil the experience and skip through it. Watch it in its entirety when you have time to do so. There should be a law that requires every electric guitarist to watch (and enjoy) this, seriously. :)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I completely agree with you. I am a player that understands dynamics. It is definitely not as common knowledge as it should be. What I am saying is that the compressor in the amp block works a little differently than what most people are used to using. It doesn't kill my dynamics. It just helps not lose all of my volume when I roll back a little to clean the tone up some. I have OD pedals that react this same way and others that do not. This compressor is much smoother and transparent than the ones available in the stomp section of the Kemper. What I am wondering is if someone could adjust this compressor to achieve what the OP was asking for. What they are asking for may already be possible.

But why would you use a compressor to reduce the beautiful dynamics of your guitar signal? I still don't get it.

And if you want to compensate for a more quiet guitar that you don't want to be more quiet ... well, there's this GAIN control that does exactly what it suggests, adds or reduces gain going into the amp.

Basically an input gain / level control is ONLY necessary if your guitar clips the input stage of the Profiler. If clipping doesn't happen, there's exactly ZERO need to adjust input gain.

Read up on the compressor in the amp block. There have been some posts on it here. It isn't the typical compressor. It is there to maintain your volume when you roll back the guitar volume to change your tone.

I don't get it....Do you use the same presets on both? Input can be set per preset.

I personally use the same rigs for all of my guitars. I treat them exactly the same way I do may amp and pedal board.

The OP didn't mention adjusting clean or distortion sense. I believe he is just talking about adjusting for the volume level between various pickups.

I have a small clean boost pedal on my board to compensate for the volume drop off when I switch to a single coil or an in between sound on my HSS guitar. It would be nice to not to have to use that pedal and have it automatically adjust. I think that is what he is asking for.

I think the compressor in the amp block of the Kemper does this. I know it will keep your volume from dropping off when you roll back your volume. To be honest, now that I am thinking about it, I haven't really noticed the drop off in volume with my Kemper that I typically get when using my amp and pedal board. I think the compressor in the amp block is already compensating for this. It may be worth testing some adjustments to that compressor to see if you can get what you are looking for with what is already in the Kemper.

That could be a great feature. That way you can switch back and forth between single coil guitars and humbucker guitars and maintain a good input level to the signal chain.

Latency can be caused by many things. I doubt that the Kemper is the source of it. You can try adjusting your buffer size in Ableton. I am not familiar with Ableton to tell you where to look for that. Make sure your on the latest drivers for the focusrite. I would also recommend connecting to the focusrite using SPDIF. That way you are not converting to analog and back to digital. Less conversions will help with latency. It may take a little troubleshooting and testing to get it worked out.

If the soundman makes the decision to pan the guitars, he is responsible for panning it back to center for a solo. Depending on how similar your tones are, there is possibly no real need to pan them like that.

With two guitars in the band you should be playing in slightly different frequency ranges. One should be a little heavier in the low end and the other a little heavier in the high end. That eliminates the need for the panning, unless you have amps on stage pumping out sound. Then you need to pan to balance that out front.

The only other way is to run stereo and morph your tong back to center. Then you are responsible for making sure your rigs are panned the way they need to be.

If you can't find one you like, let me know. I have a Twin Reverb setting here. I can run a few profiles on it to see if I can get something that fits.

I have been gigging with a Marsh Springfield amp for years now. It is a modified Vibrolux circuit and has 10" speakers in it. I really like the profiles of that amp that I did. I can't remember if I uploaded any of those to the rig exchange.

I had the Cabinet connected to the monitor out. I'll check the cabinet light now. What issues would the cabinet for the main out be for a Powered Kemper and can I correct this?

It isn't a problem. Just something you have to set.

Cabinet was off. With the Cabinet on I get WAY BETTER tone. It was lifeless and brittle before.

There you go! You can now try different cabinets if you want to, or leave it where it is.

I was wondering about this. How do I turn the cabinet on? Can I make adjustments to the cabinet once I have it on and how would I do this? Sorry, total noob in a tight spot right now. Appreciate your help.

Did you have the Kabinet connected to the main out or the monitor out originally?

Is the cabinet button light up on the front of your Kemper? If not press it and turn it on. You can hold it to see what cabinet is there and scroll to one you want to use. If it is on, I would hold it and check to see what is there.

EDIT:

I see you have the power rack. That tells me that you had it connected to the out for a speaker. The cabinet for the main out may be an issue then.

I also have the current version of BIAB. It has come a very long way in the past 6 years. It has a lot of the mixing abilities of a DAW now. You can also export directly out of it into a DAW.

I really like it for throwing something together quick. You can make your own backing tracks to jam along with really easily and put the chord progressions in them that you want to practice over.

My biggest complaint is that is it expensive. I understand why. They have put a ton of development work into it and it is quite good at what it does. I am a little jaded because I bought their everything pack a while back. I then upgraded it a little over three years ago. I was going to just stay on that version and use it for what it is. I upgraded the OS on my Mac and the application wouldn't run anymore. The reason was that the main application on the version I had was 16 bit. The new OS is 64 bit only. I was forced to upgrade it again. I hadn't upgraded for 3 years so the upgrade was more money than I really wanted to spend but I felt I didn't have a choice. It was either spend the money and have it to use, or throw away what I had bought and have nothing.

You could get away with upgrading it every other year for $99 if you want to keep it up to date. I can't imagine that there will be another huge change like going from 32 to 64 bit any time in the near future that would make the version you bought stop working like mine did. I would recommend paying the extra $25 and getting it on an external hard drive. The program is pretty big and it runs just fine directly from the external drive. You can always download the application and reinstall it if you have to.

If you have any other questions, post them. I will try to answer them.

EDIT:

It does have a little bit of a learning curve to really use the features that it as and get into the powerful parts. However, it is sort of like the Kemper, you can watch some videos and do a little reading and messing with it and get something simple up and running pretty fast to start getting a benefit from it. Just plan on spending some time with it to get to know it. There are a couple of good youtube channel out there to help with the learning.

Another improvement would be to be able to combine many different gain stages of the same amp into one single profile and to be able to simply "morph" one after another while turning the gain knob. Why? Decreasing the gain of a higher gain profile is fine but not the same as if you take a dedicated profiled amp state with lesser gain. Another advantage of this would be clarity: one profile for one profiled amp and not 10-20, as is is now.

To the "no" fraction: Is this a huge improvement? Yes, for me it is.

This one actually makes sense. I am sure the current profiling process is doing this at some level but taking multiple profiles of the same amp at different gain stages could help refine that process so it knows exactly what to do as you reduce gain or volume.