Posts by KT66digital

Thanks!!

I wanted to keep it flexible where I could use them as monitors, or main outs, small or large venues, jams or even use them at home..

I have a couple of JBLs monitors now, that I know wouldn't cut it in a rehearsal, let alone a gig.. I'm an old tube amp guy and I've had everything from Deluxes to Marshall half-stacks to draw from.

It's been a long time since I've played out, So I could see this being my only reinforcement, but also if the opportunity presented itself,

I wouldn't object to using FOH either and use these as monitors. I have tons of experience playing really dinky clubs and a few medium stages, but not in a LOOOOOONG time, so this equipment seemed so adaptable to be able to play just about anywhere..

Haven't used the Stage anywhere but home, but I can see multiple opportunities to play out

I'm not planning on playing the Coliseum yet, but ya never know..

Been driving my self crazy reading and deciding what kind of monitor/main powered/unpowered/external powered solution to purchase.

Here's the scoop.. I have two 1x12 cabinets with crappy Celestion copies, so they are essentially "empty" for the sake of arguement. Not sure if

200 watts (each) will make these cabs explode, but It's worth trying.. Not sure if there would be any other consideraion with these cabs either.. They are a smidge bigger than the Kemper Cabs and heavier 35lbs/25lbs (Kemper Kab)

Here's what I am plotting/overanalyzing/thinking. My main goal would be to get the best rig I could get, yet keep the costs reasonable.. I want to run stereo

so I was thinking about getting 2 Kemper Kones (US$180 ea) and filling those cabinets above and getting a Palmer PMacht 401 Stereo Class D amp (200W side @ 4 ohms)

and having a solution with these. Palmer is about US$400 (Palmer is a German company, anybody familiar with their stuff?) I have a couple of their Y boxes that are really good.

Less cables and what-nots, about a US$760 solution total.

Or...

Just suck it up and get two Yamaha DXR10s.. (I like the size/Weight and not having to lug around too many multi-components..) but it's a US$1400 solution and 30lbs each (20kg?) Low end response 55Hz vs 57HZs for the 10 vs 8 speakers, but still lighter yet..

90% more cost, but fairly known results (positive)..

Or even the DXR8s??

Would I give up any of the features such as Cab simulation/IRs/etc with either solution?? Any pluses or minuses that I might be missing?

I have a Kemper Stage now which I really like.. But I'm getting old and cabinet lugging is no longer attractive to me :)

I saw a reference in mbritts faq page about converting older style .kipr to newer version .krig. I found another reference to just changing the file extension, I.e. “mv *.kipr *.krig”

is this really necessary as I see that the latest version of RigManager .kipr and .krig are indistinguishable.

sometimes with dynamically moving tech like the Kemper, what was relevant 6months ago may no longer be relevant today..

So is this a non-op?

German brew always in the fridge, so it'll be worth it, mate. :love:

Correct weight, Dave; UK. Means bad.

American translation:

Sounded like ass.

I'm starting rowing now!! I should be there in 8-9 months give or take.. I'll definitely be in the mood for a cold one once I get there!! Thanks! ;)

I'll be the guy with the GIGANTIC shoulders.. :)

Thanks for the clarification!! I will find this useful with my UK compatriots at work. We have no Aussies tho.. However I did party with a contigency of the Australian Navy many moons ago at NAS Miramar when I was but a wee sailor lad :) I do not remember how it ended.. :)

Sounded like ass, hmm this one ALWAYS brings up weird mental images that I'll just keep to myself.. :)

Joking aside I believe our perception of a sound is way more variable than changing amps, cabs, IR's. I honestly though that because the KPA takes away many of the variables, that I could get a sound I hear on youtube, use the same settings through similar guitar and gear and it would sound 90% the same.....nope! Also many people here say "go use such and such profile...I try it and think they must be deaf - but I know they are not.

I had Andy James profiles in my KPA...sounded pants and yet he is amazing and so is his sound.

I agree 110%..

Ok two questions..

1) "sounded pants"? What is that? (good/bad/??) I thought to myself, this has to be a UK expression.. My wife's family is from Sidcup/Bexley in Kent. We spent some time over there and I couldn't get over all the terms and expressions. Loved it.. Of course I was considered to be just a tad above a hillbilly by them with my "Ah'll tell U wat..", "Hey hold my beer, and ya'll watch this.."

2) On varying perceptions of sound.. While I applaude the effort of all the folks putting up sound clips on Youtube. I get bummed out because I knew the sound was colored by these crapola speakers I had.. I have it going thru the JBL monitors now, but the compression from the interwebs still messes it up..

I guess I'll just have to drive to everybody's homes now to hear them in person!! LOL.. That's gonna be a challenge to get to all you folks down under!! :)

I love this!! Poor Oscar!! Give him some extra treats and a new set of Bose QC headphones!!

I have a little calico cat that is just the opposite.. She comes in and sits on the amps or just lays on the bed in the office and hangs while I play..

She has a serious affinity for the Beatles.. I put on the Beatles channel on SiriusXM and she jumps up on "her" pillow on the bed and just snoozes for HOURS..

Oscar has the face down!! Looks like you just asked him if he wanted to go to the vet.. :)

Totally agree ( although not clever enough to have thought of it myself :) ).

The "magic" of these pedals is not some mythical voodoo but variations in those circuits. I would expect them to look at what makes Fuzz, distortion and OD pedals ( as has been mentioned above), what makes germanium and silicon sound different and have a parameter for it etc.

From that, similar to the Wah's, I would then expect some people to make their own presets that mimic Klon's Tube screamers etc.

I agree to agree.. But something equally important is the variation in the components in these same effects, where manufacturing tolerances are as high as +/- 20% so variances there can make things sound different to much greater degrees in the same pedal.. I have seen Marshall amps that have a "special something" and others of same model and year were not so nice.. Hence "magic". Component variance?? Aging and drift? Most likely.. My understanding of the physics of these changes are far beyond my understanding.. So many little details that can make huge changes.. Somebody mentioned about there being only a few basic designs where they vary between a few components for the same concepts to make a new model.. to get a particular sound.. I think that would be the perfect model, myself.. Not unlike this nifty gizmo I just bought..

I don't know about you guys, but thru many years I have noticed that today something can sound like a chorus of angels and tomorrow the EXACT same setup sounds like junk...

I would scoop up a swiss-army knife of ODs instead of buying hundreds of them to chase a tone.. If I could build and tweak this mythical pedal to where "I" like it and it is possibly pleasing to others, and others could do the same, I would be on a tropical island enjoying fruity drinks, counting my kilo-dollars.. :) Of course with my Kemper and a small generator... And UPS delivery for all the other crap I need to buy now to add to this rascallion.. Damn, just when I thought I was out...

:)

-D

I think this is a great idea, where you'd have a basic framework and you could dial in your characteristics you like.

However I would reduce the list above to:

EQ, with some control over the frequency ranges and bandwidths and placements in the frequency spectrum (treble pre, bass post, etc)

Clipping (above reminds me of the Timmy) Asymm, Symm, soft/hard attribute.

Gain ( I think this is great, but remember this is for overdrive, so just a normal or slightly enhanced gain range)

Compression control

Blend control (dry vs not-dry :) )

As someone who has literally had hundreds of OD pedals, I think I would prefer the flexibility of above versus having a specific

product.

I have heard that you can stick ODs in front of the KPA.. Haven't tried it tho..

Oh, my favorite ODs are (for now):

Klon: (and Klon variants Tumni, RYRA, Archer(s))

TS9(808): and variants (Maxon 808 Apex, TS808DX (w/boost channel)

Timmys: V2 and V3

OCD

Wampler Paisley Deluxe/Brent Mason Hot Wired

You could do the same with fuzzes and distortions (I classify them differently)

I remember hearing the first VH album right around when it came out.. It had been a long dry spell during what I called the "Easy Listening Years".

Having grown up with the Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, Clapton/Cream and too many others to name. I was getting very depressed over the state of radio/live music and what was getting airplay, and being told what was current was what was "happening" and would continue to be. This even includes "Disco"... I shuddder...VH1 comes out and rips it apart.. It was like a reawakening!! First album I had bought since "Let It Be"

RIP Edward, Thanks for the great memories and all the great music.. Had a lot of fun with ya!!

Having lived thru the 60's and 70's, then moved on to the 80's and the rack eras. I started building clone tweeds and then got "experimental" and doing a lot of "what-ifs" I still have a few projects to finish in the garage, but I started following this thing called "Kemper".. I was like "No Way, this can't sound *that* good.." Lo and behold to find this thriving community and all the info there within!! I just took delivery on a Kemper Stage today I have a sneaking suspicion, this will quickly become an obsession.. :) and I'm gonna integrate it into my humble office recording setup. Concept is so cool... My friend and I years ago, dreamed up an idea to have a processing engine in something like a Scholz Rockman... But never got off our asses to do anything about it.. It only took 40 years to get here,, I look forward to good times and some great ideas!! Thanks

-Dave KT66-digital