Posts by Dynochrome

You still playing Glam Rock?

Some, but mostly popular dance songs. I wear Vans that are pretty easy on footcontrollers. The tipsy women right in front of my mic stand with high heels are the concern in that regard. No strain on any of my footcontrollers has ever been my doing, I can hit a button and I don't drop things much.

I started gigging at 14 (1964) at Nort’s Vanguard lounge in Cocoa Beach, Fla. and haven’t stopped.

I’m 70 and finally retiring my day job. Hope to keep playing&singing , out a few more years

back in the late 70’s I played a club in East Dubuque , I’ll across the Mississippi from Dubuque, Iowa

Wow, do I have stories about E Dubuque. You should see it now, just a shell of what that area was. I drive by it a couple times a year visiting relatives in Galena. I always demand we take a slight detour and drive through the "strip" so I can reminisce about what was there. And by strip, you know what I mean if you've been there! Was the River Queen called the River Queen then?

Dynochrome, where abouts do you live?

I play mostly just north of Detroit. I’ve been playing band gigs, for over 50 yrs and have never played one of those, play for the door type gigs. Always makin money playin.

Only played 12 ,this year, but still the band made at least $500 a night

Under the nose of Iowa/Illinois. Sounds like you're doing just fine!Glad to hear it! Me, I've been playing live since I was 11 on saxophone, but playing rock and roll guitar and singing lead since '78 and gigging since about '81. I have kept in really good shape, my profile pic is just a couple years old. (I've always believed you should look presentable and have charisma if you're going to be on stage,like something people want to look at.)

The longest break I've have ever had is now. That's why I have all this time to post on the Kemper forum! You're fortunate, and I'm guessing you don't live in a big city because I haven't visited a big city in ages where you could find 2 live rock and roll bands/clubs in a 6 mile radius. More like 30 miles. For a long time here I could name 30+ clubs in a 10 mile radius that had bands! (sigh)

For me it's the opposite almost. You would have one or two yell "Play some Blues" and I would scold them going "Go to one of the blues bars in town, but oh yeah every single one of them is closed down because nobody wants to hear that except for you." I'll hear a couple people now and then tell me "We need a blues bar" but ALL of them fold. It just doesn't draw.

Check out the MOTU M2 and M4's. The specs show best in class for comparables. But they selling out everywhere.

I had a M4, loved it especially for the displays but it didn't have the monitor functions I was used to and was a pain to get monitoring/playback levels where I wanted them as well as no DSP to add "comfort reverb" monitor only. I was used to a 1212M that had all kinds of mixing functions and the ability to add fx to the monitors without having to crank the buffer way down with latency from using a vst. so I returned it and Bought a Steinberg UR44C. Not as good of specs but nothing humans could tell the difference in a blind test. Works great and lets me plug the Kemper in stereo and have 2 pres for mics and 2 line ins for my Neve preamps. I usually just use the D-pres in the UR though they sound great.

they're all that AND populated entirely by the local college kids - or - hard-living biker-types on the wrong side of what was already the wrong side of town.

I prefer the bikers. You generally know where you stand and they *work* for a living. Drunk college kids in college bars don't care about anything but themselves.

This is mostly true around here add in 20% "normal" people.

Sounds like a bar circuit. The ones like that around here don't pay well (or at all) or want you to play for the door. Or, they're all that AND populated entirely by the local college kids - or - hard-living biker-types on the wrong side of what was already the wrong side of town.

I prefer the bikers. You generally know where you stand and they *work* for a living. Drunk college kids in college bars don't care about anything but themselves.

We center our selves more doing corporate gigs now but for many years around here we had many good paying clubs that hired good bands. Way better music scene than 95% of big city scenes I've seen. We were often making $1,000.00 + a night playing covers. Minimum $750.00. The crappy bands that never made enough dough or had their S**t together to have their own P.A and crew played at the pay to play clubs. I remember one of the work for the door clubs really wanted us to play and we wanted a guaranteed amount. We told them to stick it, why should we play for the door and take a risk when we can go down the street and Play for $1,200.00?

I recall going to Chicago to the guitar center and asking the salesman "Where do people use all these guitars as there aren't hardly any clubs that have live music" I asked are you in a band? Where do you play? He said we just drove to Wisconsin (in the snow)to play last week for $150.00. That's just one of the visits I've had to big cities and come back raving about how great our music scene was. The whiners (that had sucky bands no one wanted and played coffee houses with P.A. on a stick) were always complaining in the local entertainment section that our scene sucked and we needed to have it more like the big cities! The grass was not greener and for a long time I was making killer money driving less than a 5mile radius from my house. I always said, the better you are, the less far from home you'll have to travel. Some of the sucky bands around here travel 2 hours away to gig where people haven't found out they sucked yet.

We were lucky for a long time around here but now clubs have dried up a bit. It's still better than most cities though. So yeah I played a lot of bars but was paid way more than all of the "original bands" were that were at the work for the door places. Screw that, Musicians and bands are treated so poorly now. Bar owners don't see all the work and commitment it takes to maintain a good band. The bar scene here was nothing to complain about!

One thing I can agree with from my experience is that anything that goes on the floor in a live performance, should be made tough enough to take a high heel, a bottle or a 58 dropping on it. Or sitting in 1/2" of beer puddle. My controllers have done all the above.

That's the real world unless you are either consistently playing gigs where you are on a big stage far removed from the audience on a high wire, or in your bedroom where only your cat could step on it.

you cannot delete anything in the list of available options for each voice. You can however create 2 user scales for each rig in the Profiler in case none of the other available options fits the application you have in mind. This could for example be the case where a tune is in harmonic minor and you need the major 7th instead of the minor 7th.

The 2 default scales are just placeholders or examples of what can be done with the user scales. Instead of setting each step to zero the programmer figured it would be more useful to offer a musical scale.

Ah,So I was correct that the user preset table is just a template as I speculated? (You could have just said that if so)

If it IS so, I understand now and could explain it like this: " In the user scale section there is a template with a example scale loaded that you can overwrite to suit your needs that can be saved per rig." Now I must ask can you save a list of them to be recalled like the output, input, stomps etc. because Paulyts wrote: "AND, you can save them as Presets, to use with other Rigs." Is that correct? And can you access them from RM? I get that you cannot change the list of options, I never even considered that. I'm speaking of the user scale once you select user scales from the option screen.

Interesting all things kemper have the same size screen....

Seems like good engineering to me. Make things compatible not proprietary. When I design machinery, I do the same to make parts more obtainable and keep the price down. Why stock and supply 4 different parts when you could have just one? Smart.

And I assume there are deals for kemper forum users? wink , wink.

Heck the thing is less than a dinner that goes to your gut and the rest comes out your butt. Perhaps a bit on the high side but worth it in the big picture. Sending it in with a cracked screen would be way worse than spending under $20.00. Plus I look at it like kind of a "donation" to someone who was nice enough to market these for us. I doubt they were planning on getting rich off of Kemper users. But their time is worth something too as is mine, and that's why I bought one.

Not so much when the LCD screen is cheaper than the protection itself, and you can easily cut an acrylic square and put double side tape to fix it, with the same results, less cost, and no shipping. But to each their own I guess.

For the price I paid, I couldn't be bothered shopping for, cutting material, deburring it, buying and applying the silicone adhesive. You claimed the item seemed like a "home made solution", but you want to stick a handmade one on with tape? And please tell me where I can have my LCD screen replaced for less than $16.00. If I can protect my somewhat expensive controller for the price of a few beers, I'm all in!

Time based effects cannot be profiled.

I didn't read the profiling section. And probably never will as I have no intention to ever profile an amp. I bought the Kemper to play amps I don't own. I just wondered what would happen if you had a reverb on the profile. When you write time based effects cannot be profiled does that mean it will not work at all and abort, or that you can profile them but they won't sound good? That was what I was wondering. If the manual reads you cannot profile time based effects but allows you to go through the process, then it would not be accurate to say you cannot but better to say it won't turn out correctly.

And if I compare the two default user scales they are indeed identical since the steps in each scale are using the exact same offsets.

That why I wrote: "Same interval above and below the tonic maybe but not "identical." I understand the purpose of user scales and how they are supposed to work within a key. The manual was just throwing me off with that table labeled "voices" and speaking of the "two" blues scales one major and one minor.

So can you tell me the intent of the user scale? I'm guessing when it was wrote:"The default User Scales are both blues scales - one major, and the other minor". they meant one above and one below the tonic and since it is a blues scale somewhat universal between major relative minor blues scale. I could probably tear it apart harmonically and figure it out but I wanted to hear the answer from the manufacturer so I could understand the thought process better. Was the intention it be used as a starter/example template to build from?

Also what was the thinking behind the 10 entries not being deleteable? When I make a user scale will I be able to delete it? I want to know before I enter one and have it stuck there forever.

In almost every new device I buy I find errors in the manual that I take time to relay to and try to help manufacturers. It just always surprises me no one else ever notices them especially in devices that have been out for quite a few years. I am pointing all this out in an effort to hopefully move forward into a revision that anyone could easily understand. The way the "Stereo parameter" is explained leaves some questions too and could be better IMO. Like a better explanation of what will occur if one has their outputs in mono as well as stereo. I believe I understand it, but it's written a bit strange. Once I understand it 100%, I will be able to help others as well. Normally, once I understand something I can explain it to someone in a way they get right away and I think "I wish it was explained to me that way so I didn't spend all that time on a goose chase for the truth."

Price is fine, and for the stage I get it, that thing might get stomped pretty easily on stage, but it looks a tad ugly, it would look way better if it was cut 1mm or 2mm more at most from the size of the screem, and had the glue on the plexiglass itself, this way looks like a homemade solution, and eventually dust will get behind the plexiglass trough the sides. Still, price is good, might be cheaper than shipping.

Not nearly as ugly as a broken screen or a controller that becomes a paperweight. If it was cut smaller, when stepped on it would have little support and would become a liability. And having the adhesive on the glass would just transfer any impact energy right to the screen.Bad idea. Having a gap there is beneficial and protective. The way you would like it sounds more like a home made solution to me, I think this is well thought out right down to the removable adhesive. If it's what I think it is (like the stuff they use to stick your new credit cards to paper) it will be perfect. When/if it gets scratched, you will be able to pull it off,clean it up and install a new one. (If one is still available by then) As soon as I saw this, I realized this isn't an option, but a MUST.

I'm just trying to find the answers in my post #4 and what harmonic interval they are intending with the two user scales and why they are included and non delete able. (Are they just templates etc?)That should be explained. Support told me the two are identical and obviously they are not. Same interval above and below the tonic maybe but not identical. No one has communicated that my questions have been forwarded or may be possibly answered except for that the the user scales cannot be deleted. I don't want to put a scale in if it is there forever & can't be deleted so that is another thing I am trying to find out before I do.

Sorry if you think I am being critical, but manuals should be proofed, and written in a way that is understandable. I'm surprised no one has brought this up in all these years.