Posts by Kaschko

I bought myself the Kemper Kabinet and I'm quite blown away by some of the sounds I get with the speaker imprints.

Some of these new combinations of profiled Amps with different speaker imprints are by far my favorite sounds with this machine.

But now I have a problem of course: You cannot use these combinations as studio profiles and record with them.

I especially like some of the 10" Jensen speakers and some old Fender-like profiles sound great with Celestion greenbacks. But where can I buy or download cabinets that I can use with my profiles and even record them?

I have downloaded some IRs from Tone Junkie but it's not the speaker Imprints I am most looking for.

What I'd like to get:

Oxford 12L6

Oxford 10" (like in what you'd find in an old princeton)

Jensen P12R

Jensen P12Q

Jensen P10R8

Jensen P10R

Celestion G12M

Let me try this again.

(I'll just assume you don't mean this as condescending as it sounds...)

I wasn't talking about merged or studio profiles but direct profiles. Your explanations and metaphors are good, but I understood all of this already.

What I was pointing out: Direct profiles through the Kemper Kabinet sound best with Kemper's speaker imprints. But the speaker imprints don't go through the PA. What the PA hears is the cabinet that I added to the direct profile even if I don't hear it through the Kemper Kabinet myself.

That means I need to make a choice: Do I want to get the best sound through the Kabinet or does the audience get the best sound. As I said before, the first option would be the obvious choice... So when it comes to live playing with a PA, I assume that studio and merged profiles are the much better choice than direct profiles.

Hi!

I'm looking to buy studio monitors for my Kemper. I already have the Kemper Kabinet but would like to have something to mix my tracks with as well, besides my Beyerdynamic DT-880.

My hobby "studio" is very small, 6,25 m2 or 67ft2. Would the Yamaha HS 5 still be too big for that room?

How about the bass response, is it okay with the monitor speakers only or would I have to add a subwoofer?

Another question: I will use it through my focusrite scarlett which doesn't have XLR out. Am I correct assuming I need to use the line out with a mono instrument cable into each of the monitors?

Thanks!

In my experience there is hardly noticable difference between studio and merged/direct profiles running through Kabinet or Kone. And the choice of studio profiles is by far bigger. Just my personal opinion.

I have to agree with you. I'm sure there are people who can hear a quality difference but I can't. But these days I'm using mainly m britt profiles and he doesn't offer direct profiles so I can't compare. I can definitely tell that Top Jimis merged profiles sound different from his studio profiles, but I dislike both so can't tell which one would be the better one...

I didn't say that you were wrong, I only expressed how complicated it is to get the information one needs if professional sound engineers can't even agree with each other...

And since this was my best lead on figuring out why the sound between direct heaphone and DAW differs, it's also a frustrating throwback...

they are wrong on that one. The TS output is line level not guitar level. It is unbalanced but the TS input on the interface is also unbalanced. No need for XLR to TS adaptor.

Interesting since a bunch of people on gearpage confirmed that. I ordered such a cable and will report back if it helps. As I mentioned before, the sound from the Kemper into headphones vs Kemper into DAW just sound very different at the moment and it's not the Space option.

I'm going assume you want to use the Kabinet the way Kemper intended.

There's one thing I still can't wrap my head around:

So the best result for my Kemper Kabinet is with Merged or Direct profiles. However, the best profile to go into the PA is a Studio profile, isn't it?

Wouldn't this mean I have two choices -

a) I use a merged or direct profile that sounds great with my Kabinet but the audience will get a lesser quality audio.

b) I use a Studio profile so the PA gets a perfect input but I have to make compromises with the sound from my Kabinet.

Obviously you'd go with option b in that case.

So are are direct and merged profiles mainly meant for you to use when you play smaller gigs without PA or at home with your Kabinet?

it is fine to use an instrument cable. The problem os when you use an XLR as this can’t bypass the interface’s mic preamp.

Here's an advice I got from a sound engineer on a different forum that helped me a lot. I use a Scarlett Solo though.

"From your description, your Kemper has XLR outputs that send "line" level signal to another device's line input. Mono or Stereo.
    It also has TS guitar level outputs that will mate up with another device's instrument input or a guitar amp.
    You will need a XLR female to TRS cable to go full line out of the Kemper into the Scarlet front input.
    If you decide to use the instrument output of the Kemper, you will plug a TS guitar cable into the input on front and engage 'Instrument button'. This will engage an amp in the Scarlett to bring the signal up to line. Personally, I would go line level out of the Kemper to avoid the extra gain stage."

And:

"The Kemper has balanced outputs which need to go into balance line level inputs. So you need a balanced cable from the Kemper to the balanced line input of your interface. I'm guessing it's TRS, so you need an xlr female to quarter inch balanced trs connector."

Hey Folks!

I'm totally new in Kemper.

I'm using the unit with Mono Out on the Master section running straight into my Behringer XR18. (no special input channel settings)

But the Sound I'm getting is much different to the sound that is running from the headphone output on the Kemper itself.

Any solution out there?

How are you connecting it to your interface? As I learned it's not good to use a guitar cable. You need a XLR to line cable in order to bypass your devices gain stage. Also the 'space' option in the mic output can be turned off or not just set to 'space mic only'.

I bet it’s impossible but I need to ask ‘cause I might be missing something: Can I place a real effect pedal on a slot later in the effect chain? Say have a real Big Muff and want to boost it with the Kemper Drive (have the digital drive before the real pedal) - is there any effect loop technique I haven’t realized yet? Would love to

Introduce real Fuzz pedals to the amp but would love to use the Kemper boosts and compressors before them, not after.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

so I bought a bunch of profiles from Top Jimi (worth more than 100USD) when I got my Kemper since the amps he profiled are exactly what I was looking for. I also love that he included merged profiles.

However, all of his profiles sound bad to me. Far worse than M Britt, Tone Junkie and others. They are very trebly and don't work with my Supro or Tele. It's a biting, unpleasant sound. His Supro Black Magick amp for example does sound nothing like the real amp to me.

I also realized that Top Jimi, unlike many of his competitors, doesn't already include fitting boosters or EQ to his profiles which could help figuring out how to make the tone sound fuller (like Tone Junkie does).

What are you guys usually dialling in to make Top Jimi's profiles sound good? To me definition and treble don't seem to be enough, I often find myself fiddling around with high and low shift as well, alas without a good result.

Am I missing something about his profiles?

As far as different sound with the two headphones outputs. That can just be the difference between the preamp that each unit uses to drive the headphone are different. Do you use monitors with your Focusrite as well? Or just headphones?

Wait, so the interface I choose effects the tone coming out of my Kemper? That sounds horrible. Shouldn't the Kemper give me a perfect "what you hear is what you get solution?" Would using S/PDif help me?

To answer your other question, I only use headphones at the moment.

My guitar (with single coil pickup's )pick similiar sound from the USB keyboard . Try to move with guitar to localize possible source of this signal.

Hi!

I get the noise even with only the Kemper via headphones. Moved rooms already.

Here's a new comparison where I play 4 different guitars. Wish the Kemper had a more complex EQ so I could get rid of the high frequency.

4 Guitar comparison Kemper noise

Sorry for being out of tune but I just grabbed them for this comparison. You can tell that all of them produce a noise (I turned the noise gate off completely) as long as I don't touch the strings. Then, when I touch the strings, the guitar gets grounded via me but some guitars still produce noise. The Hollowbody produces this high pitched noise somewhere around the 5000hz mark, I believe. The noisiest guitar is, however, the Telecaster and the Supro is quietest.