Posts by Jonelli

The odd ball amp is a BK Butler RT922.

What you're looking at is the unit setup as a piece of wire first, flat response with all knobs at 12o'clock.

Then each knob is turned to min and max, 0 or 10 one at a time, then returning it to 12o'clock. Lows are blue, mids are Red, highs are yellow.

I did this same exercise with each Kemper Amp and measured them all to see if any were closely similar to this one, so I could possibly use it on top of my profile.

It would be nice to have an advanced mode where we could customize the Amp's tone stack. Maybe even allow it to be used for custom liquid profiles.
    I've gone through all of the 40ish amp models and measured their tone stacks searching for something similar to an odd-ball amp I use. What I found is that almost all the Fenders are identical, and a lot of the "rock" amps are super similar. But none are close enough to use on my odd-ball amp. The only way I can achieve anything close is if I drop in a studio EQ block and match my low/mid/high EQ's to that.

It would be super cool if I could customize an amp model's tone stack and even select a gain behavior from some choices. Wouldn't this allow the Kemper then to basically be like creating "new" unique amps that don't exist otherwise? Could help keep Kemper above modeling amps if you could create new amps with it. Just a thought.

This is the measurement of my odd-ball preamp. It has a knee on the low and high that doesn't quite match anything in the list of amps, and a wide mid center at 600Hz, where others are mostly higher in freq.

In comparison to the first test, this is the KEMPER GENERIC amp tone stack.
    Interesting that Presence -5 and HF -5 are the same.

I won't post any more of these here until I'm done. I'll start a new thread as a reference for them.

Search for CABLE in Rig Exchange and you'll find a few that might work for you.

Thanks. I did that and it's pretty much the same as when I did it myself. So, I trust that's the best it will be. I will use an inverse as a calibration file to create a flat reference.

I'm going to document all of the Liquid Amp Tone Stacks so I can find what matches an odd ball amp close enough that I have no idea what it would be close to.
    I can remove the minimal affects of the kemper plain profile I just created and a flat reference to start with, but it would be nice to use a cleaner one to start with.
    For example, here's a MARS CM 800 ton stack plotted out:

An amp profile that is basically a piece of wire. no coloration, gain, distortion, tone, etc.
    I just tried capturing a profile with Send connected straight to Return and got something close, but it's not perfect.

Is there an existing profile where the amp is totally flat - the same with the amp button turned off? I want it flat but still access to the amp parameters.

Should I just create a flat profile where there's no amp in the chain? Or does this already exist?

I have SysTune, Smaart, and EASERA.

I'd be using SysTune for this. I have verified that the "all-off" response of the kemper is pretty much flat everything and any filtering is below or above 20/20K, so the CAB-only button on appears good as an IR.

I think I can do it for you easily. I have acoustical measurement software that actually measures and creates IRs. I measured my own cabinets that way. I just tested my kemper measuring only the CAB and the measurement looks correct.
    So, if you want to send me your profile, I'd be happy to send you the IR of the cab.

I've been having a rough time trying to redo some of my rigs. Is there something I'm missing?
    I have a set of performances that I built off my original rig presets, but I've tweaked them all while playing, so I want to keep their FX settings.

I've built a new set of Amp presets and Cab presets, and want to put them into the rigs that are in my performances. But I also want to backup/organize my finalized rigs.

So, I've been trying to COPY out each rig from performances to local library, then I have to switch to browser mode, then load the local rig, then drag my amp and cab preset to it, then do final tweaks, bring it back into a performance so I can compare it to the original.

When I'm doing this, the names of some things dont seem carry over, so that's frustrating, and is there a better way to do what I want?

So, here's an update after about 1 month. My goal was to duplicate my existing physical rig and all patches I use with the Kemper. I have a 3 channel RT922 preamp and a GM2 FX proc with a muff pedal on the floor. I have already been using self-powered custom guitar cabs for years, so this is an easy integration for me.
    First, I was able to mod an existing pedal board case I had that was too long to fit the Kemper. It is now permanently mounted in the base/lid of that case.
    I made a new, smaller pedal board case for the leftover things I still need out of an off-the-shelf case.
    I profiled my pre-amp electronics for all my preamp modes I use, and I went through every effects patch and tried to duplicate as close as I could the same effects.
    I found that this was not as easy as the profiling. The effects are not quite the same as the GM2 and they effect the tone a bit as well. But I got it really close.
    The most different FX that i found was the Chorus between the two. I can't get anything to sound exactly like the GM2's chorus. I'm not sure if it's the actual FX settings, or the fact that I have some of my patches setup as all serial and some as semi-parallel. There's just too much to worry about! All I know is that my GM2 patch has a much wider fundamental stereo spread with more "shimmer" coloration than what I get on the Kemper. The Kemper's chorus sounds more flangery to me.
    I also spent a couple of nights messing with cabinet IR's and finally settled on what I think sounds the best and the most "me" through my recording setup.
    It was fun to use all the different mics and positions and be able to just drag them on to the profile to evaluate the differences.

Here are some pics of my case build and some of the IR testing I was doing.

I only see these options when selecting an Amp Preset within Rig Manager:

Where are these? I created these, and can access them from the physical device, but can't change the amps in Rig Manager to them?

The Rig Manager Amp edit options seem to only show Presets labeled as "Amps". But no amps from other rigs are available.
    I'm confused.

I've been using both the physical Profiler and Rig manager trying to understand and program what I need for my performances.
    I've created my own profiles and my own cab IR's.
    What I'm struggling with is in Rig Manager, I can see what's in each performance slot, but I don't see how to edit and save within the performance.

>>>>Hmm, and while I'm writing this and messing with Rig Manager, I think I see the issue.. The Kemper has to be in Performance mode and I can then save/edit/re-save within the performances... Ah... Okay, got it now.
    Yah, that wasn't intuitive at first. I had it in Browser mode the first time, and that's what was confusing me.
    Wish I discovered that earlier. I'll post this anyway in case someone else needs the info.

So, the Kemper has to be in the right mode for Rig Manager to work with that same mode.

I've got about 15-20 hours so far of making direct profiles of my own rig and tweaking presets so I can create a perfect playable set list out of my Stage that sounds just like my full rig did. That was my primary intention anyway. I haven't even explored all the rigs that already exist in it, but I plan to explore beyond my own sounds.
    There's literally so much you can do with this thing, how do you guys have the time to really explore it all and actually use it all?