Posts by DigitalTube

Well, I decided to buy the Kemper because of the Fuchs profiles from Peter Fischer, that amp alone cost twice the KPA....
    Actually your one is a good marketing idea for Kemper: Profiling help the amp industry selling more!!! :thumbup: ...do you think somebody will buy in it? :S
    :D :D

This is what I love the most about the idea of profiling, I can now buy a couple of my favorite amps, leave them in the studio and profile what I need to take to the gigs, every time I change my mind about the sound, I can always profile it again, due to the traveling gigs I do bringing a heavy tube amp + speakers in heavy road cases is really not a necessary expense these days, so some tube amp builders will also gain from this, I have to admit that i'll probably feel a bit guilty if I were to just profile amps and then sell them, I think for the main sounds that I'll use I'll have to buy the REAL amp.. most of the sounds i use come from 2 or 3 amps only anyways, I see a Carol Ann amp coming soon.. :)

Don't mean to start an argument (whether the 5 minute or full half hour). Again, not true. If your whole company is based on a patented technology, you'll sue the hell out of a competitor if they use that technology. Size of the company doesn't matter, especially when a law firm will take the case on contingency. Believe me, small companies sue other small companies (my firm generally represents those companies). Respect does not enter into the equation. In fact, patent lawyers many time will give opinions on how close you can come to a certain patent without infringing. What does enter into it is whether the tech is already outdated or whether you can prove infringement. It is a battle that takes a lot of time that a company may not want to invest in.

Well I'm just a musician, don't know anything about law or how it works like you do, so certainly don't want to argue stuff like that when I don't know anything about it.. :) I just would like to think we live in a world where people can respect each other and not have to come to lawsuits, courts etc, but I'm probably just a dreamer.. :) Apparently the Real world of business is worse then i imagined..

Yeah, Samsung and Apple are really respecting each others' patents lately. Same with Nokia, Motorola and Microsoft. All very respectful. Sorry, but respect of IP rights is the last thing competitors have for each other. It is what can they get away with.

Unfortunately, in order to get to an out of court agreement, you generally need an attorney protecting your rights and enforcing those rights via threat or filing of a lawsuit. As I tell my clients, there are two ways to get an infringer to stop - either they come to a rational decision on their own to stop (based up the threat of monetary loss or injunction) or a judge tells them to. Most settle.

That's why i said small companies, I read stories everyday about Apple, Samsung, Microsoft etc suing each other, but they can afford to do that, whoever has the most $$ for attorneys wins.. :) Small companies like Kemper, Fractal etc will most likely respect each other, and won't want anything to do with lawsuits I imagine.

Warranty question: If I need to repair a KPA where does it get sent? Does it have to go back to Germany?

I'm in the USA.

I think this is the 3rd time this question has been asked without a reply, i've asked the same and someone else has asked it..anyways i assume the US dealers will have some training to do that, but not sure only Kemper would know the correct answer.

So - in other words - does that mean that any competitor that incorporates profiling into their machine will be sued?

It sounded like Fractal was working on profiling for the AxeFX II - sounds it could be a bold venture for them.
    On the other hand - I never heard of Line6 taking anybody to court for stealing the idea of modeling amps.

Maybe one day in the future a profiler will be looked at as a device like a mixing console, a speaker or a vacuum cleaner ;)

I think if 2 small companies are going to sue each other over this, the only winner will be the attorneys involved, they'll be much better off having some out of court agreement, and working things out then doing it in the courts. I'm sure people will respect each other over any patents granted or pending.

By whom?

I don't know who it was, it wasn't anyone I recognize by name, I just deleted it and didn't even bother to reply, have changed my settings not to receive emails in pretty much all the forums, just leave the PM's on, this way I can find out, and report any abuse.. I've been around long enough not to let stuff like that bother me much.. but internet forums would be much better for everyone if we all behaved better, like adults, we could learn much more from each other, and have more fun reading posts etc. It's for crap like that that I never post under my real name on forums, I'd probably have some nut case come to my house and beat me up! :)

Internet forums can be very strange, I always try to post honest opinions, and sure like everyone else get excited about new products, or announcements, like in this case the Axe II's future "profiling" and just because i mention that i lost interest on the Kemper, I get nasty emails over that, one guy even called me Anti German!!! Crazy people!!! :) I don't even bother to respond to crap like that..I try to get along with everyone, I live in the USA but wasn't born in USA, my grand parents were a mix of 4 different countries, including Germany, USA, Italy, and Portugal, and having people calling me racist is vey offensive to me, just wish people could post opinions without it turning into some crazy fight, oh well it's the Al Gore internets.. what can you do :)

Very true!
    I think it's funny that some are cancelling their KPA orders just based on the fact that Cliff stated he will offer profilling too. No one knows if his take on profiling will have the quality and realism of the KPA. Again - hype machine!

Yes it's true, i'm one of them, (and 4 other people i personally know) I was interested on the KPA, mostly to experiment, not because I was unhappy with the AXE II, having been using the Axe from the start, I trust Cliff's word, and it would make no sense to get the KPA at this time, I like C.Kemper's work I've owned a few Virus Synths, and they're very nice, and obviously the KPA judging from the clips I've heard sounds very nice as well, so I hope Kemper does well, i just won't need one now.

Actually, this whole thing is a very nice tactic, just to achieve what you've just said.
    Think about it... Cliff announces that the Axe II will profile, too... everyone who was in love with the KPA or wanted to order one will step back now and wait... and some will just stick with their Axe II or sell their KPA to get one... never ever underestimate the powers of propaganda...

I think the problem for KPA was it took a very long time from announcing it at NAMM to delivering, when you do that the "competition" has plenty of time to try to outdo them, also I think the format of the KPA won't help sell it, maybe a 2-3 rack space unit would do much better in my opinion, i've owned AXE from the start (2007) when Cliff announces something like in this case their own profiling, you can bet he knows what he's doing, it's not propaganda.. we'll see what the future brings, for sure the KPA pushes everyone to work even harder to stay on top of the game, and guess what we all win.. :) I wasn't going to replace the Axe anyways just going to add it.

With all these firmware updates, is the KPA manual on the web site still worth reading, is it up to date with the changes, or are most of these updates just bug fixes and the manual still worth reading?
    My unit should be in any day now, and would hate to be wasting time reading/learning an outdated manual.. :)

Truth is it makes no difference at all to me how the sound is created, IR's no IR's, modeling, profiling etc, it's all the same to me.. :) Only interested in the final result, the sound coming out of the speakers, my plans for the KPA are mostly for studio, I'm not replacing anything, so I'll get my chance to hear how it sounds thru studio speakers as well as going thru a very decent quality PA, obviously since I own an Axe II I'll do my own comparisons, but I'm looking for something to add, not a replacement, assuming I enjoy playing it will be another option to have for sounds, and after the KPA a Carol Ann amp is on the list after playing one this weekend.. :)

Yes, you are right - but the Kemper people mentioned in another thread that the KPA does NOT use any IR's at all - not in the amp block and not in the cab block.

So there is no need to increase anything.

Isn't it also possible that it uses IR's but called something else..? :) Like they use "Profiling" instead of Modeling ? :)
    Of course no one can blame Kemper for not giving away it's secrets..

For me since I won't be taking it to gigs, i'm not too concerned about the occasional freeze/crash while in the studio, and being very familiar with the Virus synths, i'm sure software problems will be dealt with pretty fast, for any live shows I don't think I'd gig with just one KPA, maybe 2 units(1 for backup) or 1 KPA and some good other unit for backup, but that's what I do with any gear, even the most expensive digital units, or best tube amps can fail at the worse moments.

In the U.S, you can order from Sweetwater, Full Compass, Nova Musik, Noisebug, California Vintage Guitars and Amps, Rainbow Guitars, The Gibson Retail Shop, The Guitar Sanctuary, Alto Music, JRR Shop, Bananas at Large, Gear Orphanage, and Make'n Music.

Wonder if they'll be shipping different colors of the KPA, or just the original one? or maybe different colors to different dealers? anyone know? not that they will sound any different, just curious if we'll have a choice.

If that is your only worries :)

Yes, the Outputs are phantom power proof.

CK

Thanks very much for your reply, and I'm glad to hear they're protected, I'm really looking forward to receiving my KPA, and thanks for taking guitar gear to new levels, very few companies do that these days, NAMM lately from most companies is the old " New and Improved "(same crap) inside a new shinny box.. :)

I have heard there is a company in Europe that has these in stock & is willing to sell/ship them to the States - I still can't read any of the threads on this board other than the ones I start (they display for a microsecond then demonically disappear) so please tell all! :rolleyes:

Radley you need better management! :) The gigs you do, you should be able to get KPA to send you a unit for a very special price..and very fast! :)

Quoted from "squank"
    So, does anyone have an update on shipping units to the U.S?
    X 2 ? I have one on order ,already paid for last thursday, & no idea when it will be here , i was told the week after NAMM. the week has come & gone ..roger

Strange that they took your money already!!! I have mine ordered a very long time ago, but they never charged me, and won't charge till it ships to my house.

Quoted from "DigitalTube"
    Thanks Armin and others for being the BETA testers for us USA people! Make sure you guys find all the bugs and report to KPA, so we get the bug free USA versions.. when they finally arrive
    We're not beta testing it for you, we're just having (a lot of) fun with it (actually I know people are gigging all over the places with it already) .To be fair in the States people should get themself in a line on their knees and then after months of begging finally provided we can assess that afterall in some way you've behaved properly maybe then you could get one (but people from Europe will still have priority)
    --Heey I'm just joking!!You know... I've got a very bad sense of humour

I'm happy to wait..my Axe II is behaving well.. :) besides I travel a lot and could have already picked up a KPA in Europe, but prefer to buy in the USA in case I need to return it for any reason, it also makes sense for KPA to release in Europe first in case of any major recalls.. according to my dealer it should be here in a couple weeks, we'll see :)