Posts by DigitalTube

...modelers?

I know its a bit weird, but I'm a long time modeling fanatic. Some of the Sansamp and VG-99 stuff out there has actually piqued my curiosity and I'm excited to try them. Also had a revelation this morning that I can now profile Peavey's Revalver and bring it where ever I want. I my first profile of my goto dirty patch on the GSP1101 and it was an eye opening experience, so incredibly close to the original its scary. The Kemper allows me to create a "best of" modeler and real worlds profiles and bring them to the gig. Very cool!

For me the reason to buy the KPA and Axe was to get as close to a good tube amp sound as possible, having owned most modelers build over the years, i never got used their sound.. :) I can't stand the sound of most modelers, only models I like are the female ones.. :)

That's not going to work, Kemper is not designed to do that, you can create some synth type sounds with the built in effects, but you won't be able to profile synth sounds from the Roland, you could always try and see what you come up with.. :)

To be honest, the lack of a pitch shifter at this price point is extremely surprising. Likely why there's been so many requests.

I imagine Kemper wants to take their time and come up with a good pitch shifter, they'll need to do that as everyone will be comparing it to the excellent ones out there available by Fractal and Eventide, I know I would if i was running the company.. ;)

Thanks everyone for the info, i'd never take the KPA out to a gig with that many profiles on it.. :)
    What happened is I keep adding them, and haven't really had the time to go thru all of them and cleaning up, for all the gigs I do i use a total of 15 patches, and only because I use a lot of harmonizer stuff, otherwise 4 or 5 patches would be enough. I'm going to start cleaning up and then backup, might just end up with about 40 or 50 profiles which should cover any needs for extra sounds in the studio.

Finally was able to Export all Rigs, took 6 hours and 20 minutes to complete!! and they seem to be all in the USB drive, after exporting all rigs, inserted drive on my MAC to get info on the USB drive (Rigs Folder) shows:
    11,054,387 bytes (94 MB on Disk) for 2,869 items, so ya it's a lot.. :)

Backup always gets same error message and can't be completed, will report it to support with pic.

You should report the backup error to support, it must not be.

Yes I will, i'm just trying to backup everything in case it crashes, so far every time I get the error it reboots fine, so after I get everything exported, I'll try backing up so I can have a backup available for support along with the screen pic, if I can't get it to backup I'll try deleting as many profiles as possible in the next few days and keep trying, maybe Kemper should figure out what the limit is in # os profiles, and not allow to go over that limit, if this issue is related to the # of rigs.

Reason I'm exporting all rigs instead of just doing a backup is that I get an ERROR message when i do a backup, tried it 3 times already, I reboot and it works, but can't do a backup. It's been exporting for over 3 hours, and it looks like maybe another hour or 2 to get it finished, hopefully there won't be an error message at the end.. :) I know I have lot's of profiles on it..so it's probably normal to take this long.

I'm exporting all rigs to the USB drive before installing the new firmware, it's been 2 hours already and it's only half way (according to the meter), it seems to be working, just very slow is this normal? I know i have a lot of rigs, but it looks like a full Export will take over 4 hours!
    I formatted the USB drive just to make sure it was all clean, before starting the process, and have used this drive many times without any issues.

The method that worked for the others worked for me too (i.e., downgrade to 1.1.1 > delete all rigs > update to 1.5 > add rigs back). So anyone with issues upgrading should try this. Everything working great now.

I havent upgraded yet, because I'm wondering if it has anything to do with having lot's of rigs on the unit, if that's the case i'm in trouble.. :) Just haven't had the time to clean up all the unwanted profiles yet, curious if you guys who had trouble have a lot of rigs?

I would think by now Kemper would have trained at least a tech at Sweetwater, or maybe have a repair station somewhere in the USA for all Kpa repairs, and just send them a bunch of extra parts for whenever there is a hardware problem to have it replaced quickly, how hard can it be to replace a board in a KPA? isn't it just pretty much a computer? Having to send a unit back to Germany and waiting all that time is crazy in my opinion.

I've been having so much fun playing with my KPA that I haven't recorded much. I'm monitoring my KPA in stereo currently but was wondering whether I should go mono into my DAW when I record. Comments?

Cheers,

Jayson

For recording unless a patch uses effects that really need to be recorded stereo, I always record amp sounds mono, then you can double track them or even go crazy with 3-4 or more tracks of the same part for a huge sound with panning, that's how a lot of people record Real amps, one thing to try with digital units since there are so many amps available, is layer the same parts with different amps.

Speaking of warranties, another place in the USA that according to them offer Free extra warranty is Americamusical.com, according to the site they extend 1 year to whatever the manufacture's offer, in this case the KPA bought from them would have a total of 3 years !! not bad.

From their site:

"Gold Lock Protection" - One EXTRA year of warranty - FREE

Many of our competitors charge HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS for an additional year of warranty on their products! AMS offers this EXCLUSIVE benefit for FREE to ALL of our valued customers!!! Thousands of items on our site and in our catalog carry the "Gold Lock Protection". This means you get the manufacturer's full warranty plus ONE EXTRA YEAR! FREE!!!

I haven't tried it yet with the KPA, (i'm a few thousand miles away from my KPA at the moment) But i use the Mission SP-2 with the MFC/Axe, and when I switch from Volume to Wah obviously because i have to press all the way on the pedal to switch it, when it switches into wah it keeps the volume of the Axe all the way up, is that what you're trying to do? To me that's what makes more sense and what I wanted to do to accomplish both volume and wha with just one pedal. I'll try it on the KPA as soon as I have a chance.

Agree on the general attitude of Cliff. Very similiar to Jay Mitchell. Very smart guys, and a subtle arrogance underlies many of thier posts. Sometimes not so subtle. I think the blatant a$$ kissing has gone to his head, and he seems to look down on his customers. People run to his defense and say "who cares, look how great the Axe is!" But those little things do matter, and can leave a bad taste in ppls mouths.

As I said I do love the Axe, and it really isnt lacking anything i need (although some frustrations in UI, FW update compatibility, AxeEdit)... and while Cliff's general attitude kinda sucks, I DO love the product. But Im also looking to give the Kemper a spin, as I am certainly not an axe-for-life club member.

I don't really agree with these posts about Cliff being rude, arrogant etc,, perhaps I missed those posts by Cliff where he's being rude?? I read a lot of posts at the FA forum, and the only posts i've seen by Cliff are all very informative, sure he's human and might occasionally say what is really in his mind and not worry about being politically correct, but we all do, although when you're the head of a company like Fractal it might not seem appropriate, but i like that fact that he's human and says what needs to be said.. My experience with over 5 years of using Fractal gear is that Fractal has the THE BEST customer service I've ever seen in any gear I've bought in my entire life..
    I also own the KPA that's why I participate on this forum, but my AXE II has been my choice to this day, and will probably continue to be for a long time, like a lot of people i buy whatever new toy of the week is available, and if i should find one that does a better job for my needs I'll use it, it hasn't happened so far, so till then I'm very happy to continue using the AXE.

I'm pretty sure that the KPA has a two year warranty. I checked with my Sweetwater rep, and they don't extend the warranty. Theirs is simply two years, so in this case there is no additional warranty provided.

I see, i thought it only had the usual 1 year warranty, so ya in that case it's best to shop around for the best deal.