Posts by ckemper

I have to agree with Techn0god - I am running SPDIF into my Apogee Ensemble - and I too feel it sounds mmm. somewhat sterile - so I am going to try an experiment and just come out of main outputs into my Apogee. When I played this in the store the tone was rich and creamy - and just awesome - using the stock patches, when I got home and connected via SPDIF I was un impressed - almiost to the point where I wanted to return it!!!! X( - can anyone from Kemper tell me if you loose the Cabinet Modeling algorithms when going thru SPDIF? - cause that is what it sounds like.

Well, that's how miked tube amps sound thru your monitor speakers.
    The audio interface will not colour the sound significantly.
    Possibly the speakers in the store had a different flavour, that you liked in a way..
    Play the Profiler along your favorite recording thru your monitor speakers. That will give you a different picture.

Thank you for your suggestions. Very nice!
    This thread is a nice statistics to see what is needed the most.

We are following pretty much every single thread on the forum.

And we are working - or will be working - on most of your suggestions. Some of them might not be possible to realise, but most of them are. Please allow us some time.
    And of course we are working on stuff that you might not expect :)

I am proud of this forum and you guys and girls!

CK

Also when I use a headphone amp connected by spdif that has the capability to oversample the input, I am able to make this issue even more noticeable by adding/increasing oversampling in the amp headphone.

What is that headphone amp? Interesting that it can change a sound by oversampling.

I am not sure if this is the same thing Radley is referring to but there is something not right there and quite annoying.

No, it's not the same.

Guys,
    this is really getting a bit ridiculous now.

Would it help if we produced a clip, where we make a profile and perform the same double note bending on the reference amp and the profile, of course sounding the same?
    It would show the following:

- A tube amp can create weird noises. They can even sound digital.
    - The Profiler will replicate that same effect.
    - We can play the amp even weirder than you can, if we only thy hard, to make you even believe that there is something wrong with the reference tube amp.

Right!
    If you bring a good sound on stage it will still sound good. If not, it's the PA.
    Your favourite CD should also sound good through that PA. If not, you would not blame the CD.

You were probably listening to stage monitors only. Try to get used to a sound that is not always familiar. This is how keyboarders monitor their sounds since decades.
    Trust the guy on the mixing desk.
    He is receiving a sound from you - a closed microphone cab - that he is familiar with, so he can make the best sound for the audience.

I was able to create the same results in seconds with my real Marshall.
    The first half of the recording is quite regular, because you have hit the interval exactly.
    Later the intervals are slightly bent, but this is enough to create detuned harmonics that sound like a bell or a ring modulator.
    Have you never had this effect with any other amp?

Welcome in the world of distortion!

Per and some others are right. The ghost tones are a natural product of distortion.
    Every distorting amp since decades will produce these.
    They are caused by intermodulation.
    The perception differs from sound to sound (or profile to profile).
    And of course the effect in the profile is the same as on the original amp.
    If there was a digital artefact added, it would easily be revealed in an A/B comparison.

When two different notes are played into a distortion, each modulate the amplitude of the other tone. This will produce new frequencies: the sum and difference frequencies of the original tones. What you hear is mainly the deep difference frequencies.
    If both notes are played on a nice interval, such as a perfect third or fifth, the difference frequency is a subharmonic that fits well to the interval.
    But if you bend one of the tones, this difference frequency will sweep.
    This might remind you of a ring modulator. And yes, a ring modulator runs by roughly the same physics. It's typical sound is also created by bending one tone against another.

"When you lock Input, it stays locked between rig changes, and this kinda tells that it's an initial setup, and nothing that you would need to modify rig-wise.
    Clean Sense is simply your input level, no black magic here, just set it up for your different guitars/pickups and store Input presets accordingly, just as you said.
    Distorted Sense is, however, like an overall gain modifier, if you feel like that most of the rigs you play with your guitar (and of course correctly set up input levels) have too much gain, you lower it, or raise it if you feel like that most of the rigs don't have enough gain. Simple as this.
    Also, none of these parameters color the tone at all, think of the Distorted Sense parameter as an overall gain knob, adjusted to your taste. "

Thank you, I couldn't have described it better.

But there is two thinks to add:
    Clean Sense is not a simple input gain: You will notice that it will not affect the gain of a distorted sound.
    Distortion Sense is also not a simple booster, as it does not affect the gain of clean sounds.

This Sense controls are necessary on the Profiler, because we offer the volume compensation for clean sounds. That means when you turn the gain to zero, you get a fully clean sound at regular volume. You could not do this on an analog guitar amp.
    But if your guitar itself is loud or soft, the clean sound would become too loud or soft. This is what you level with Clean Sense

It took me a while to create this, and I understand that this might be a bit confusing, as those controls do not react as you would be used to.
    But just use it as described and don't think about it deeper.

The Clean Sense will also care for the best leveling of the digital instrument input, as some of you stated.
    Doing this is easy: Just set your guitar so that clean sounds feel as loud as distorted sounds. When done, there is no risk to clip the input with that guitar.

CK

since i started this thread, thought i'd chuck in my pennyworth again

not blaming kemper per se, and its not a deal breaker, the unit is far too good to let go, but with valve amps never had this, continue to try and find a solution, it does go when my picking hand is on the guitar strings, what does that mean?

It is possible that you run the Profiler with more gain (or compressor) than your valve amp, just because it's easy. 6 dB more gain will not have much impact on a high gain sound, but will double the noise.

Again, it is not the Profiler, that is producing the noise, only amplifying according to your settings.