Posts by Clawfinger

Hi everyone.

My name is Jocke Skog and I have been working with modelers and such since back in 1993 when we used a Boss ME-5 and the very first Sansamp. Those were the days. ;)

On my route to where I am today I've been working with Impulse reverbs since 2001, mostly with rooms but later on, cabs. I was the co-owner of Fear and loathing studios together with Meshuggah, so I played around in the studio, miking cabs for months while I was still living on money from those old Clawfinger albums. Btw, I do play the keyboard in the band but that just means that I'm very good at tweaking stuff, and that I can't play guitar solos. ;)

I first laid my eyes on the KPA on NAMM 2010, but I didn't have the right time to test it properly (too much stuff to see). During that time, I was happy with what the AxeFX Ultra could do for me. I've always been irritated that I needed to tweak to get "almost there". Now I have it going to an outboard preamp/compressor/exciter and that makes it feel better. I missed NAMM 2011, but my buddies Fredrik Thordendal and Ola Englund was there and seemed happy enough to get my attention again. I was lucky enough to borrow Olas KPA and did this video: KPA vs Dual Recto

So there it is. I'm saving up. Soon I'll have one too. In teh meantime I'll try to avoid getting into trouble *cough*. :D

Peace.
    /Jocke

Plus...the name "AxeFX" reminds me of big hair and spandex and the unit itself looks a Roland synth module from the 80's :D

OTOH I watched one clip of the KPA and bought it.

Yes it does, hahaha, and it's being programmed pretty much the same way. I should know since I've been programming synths since the mid 80's. ;) Hah, some of you guys didn't know that. 8o

The KPA looks like something from a 50's horror movie. Art deco, bioshock and space monsters! Hell yeah! I'll wait for the 19" though. haha.

Oh yeah, I agree with everything else you said, ajs.

Please make it handle 48k and ideally up to 24bit at 96k (or even 192k). I know that the end result will be 44.1k for most, but I prefer to work at 48k, and no I can't tell you why my ears aren't that golden but it just feels nicer to me, and I know a lot of studios prefer (or require) higher bitrates than 44.1k for tracking too.

That would be a really good feature. I've done extensive testing with DSP and Distortion and as soon as we got under 96KHz, it started to sound....digital. :)

Has one of you had the chance to make a real judgement about different IR sizes?
    The real comparison of IR sizes can only be done by listening to two IR's that are supposed to create the same frequency responce, but have different sizes.

Experience anyone?

Yes. As other people here, I own an AxeFX Ultra. It's biggest flaw has always been the IR size/cab block. I've been working with IR's since 2002 (mostly rooms back then), and every time I A/B the "high resolution" 1024 point IR (23ms) in the AxeFX with my original (ten times larger) it's so inferior. It's mostly nuances of course but still, getting the nuances right is the last piece of the puzzle, right?

How's that for a first post? :)