Posts by imall41

First off, I have total faith in Armin's recording abilities, to provide us with objective comparison clips.
    That being said, I prefer (by far) the clips from 1.5.2(the first ones).
    They sound like why I bought this unit, (crisp, alive, raw) like my amps.
    The second samples, compared to the first, sound very much like the differences my ears picked up when the KPA was being compared to a certain competitor.
    I would rather have the aliasing (which never bothered me), than this new blanket added to the sound.
    After hearing these clips, I will not be moving past 1.5.2, until this is resolved :(

I am bumping this thread because there may be some new owners that are not aware of the "Direct Mix" parameter in the amp block, since it is not in the manual.
    Since the KPA cannot run two profiles in parallel, this direct mix is the next best thing.

CK posted this today in another thread,

I have got close to zero responce for the mix parameter in the amp section (I must admit it is not documented in the manual).

Please, tell us more :)

Here is the thread requesting a "direct mix" parameter.
    It was added in August.
    I pray CK never removes this, as it is one the most important parameters for my use!!!!!
    So, everyone, Please tell CK, you love the "direct mix" in the amp block :thumbup:
    and, yes, it is not in the manual :(

The ability to mix some clean signal with distorted sounds is priceless!!!!!
    This is the next best thing to having two profiles in parallel.

@ CK: WE LOVE THE DIRECT MIX :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

If Gilmour was given a Kemper and had to come up with some rigs, how would he go about it?

IMO, If Gilmour had a KPA , he would do the same thing Dweezil Zappa does with the Axe-II, Put a pedal board in front of it, and treat the KPA like an amp head. (you just need less pedals, because your amp head already has some):thumbup:

For the life of me I can't seem to get the internal Fuzz Face model, paired with an Amp Factory Hiwatt DR103 profile, to do the loose, out-of-control, farty, spitty sound that you hear on tunes like Pink Floyd's Time and Echoes.

IMHO,This is because a digitally modeled Fuzz, is basically an oxymoron. I have sold 70% of the stomp boxes I owned, prior to my KPA purchase.
    Of the remaining 30%, the Fuzzes will probably never leave.
    You can profile your amps with a fuzz in line, but if you want that "out-of-control, farty, spitty sound ", on a profile that already lives inside the KPA, s/a the Hiwatt, I prefer to add the "real deal", right after my pickups, where it likes to be.
    One of my favorites, especially for Gilmour, is a TopTone, Drivegate-1, which is touted to be a faithful replica of a Cornish P-2.
    Profiling has proven itself with the KPA, but modeling just isn't there yet, for amps, or fuzz. IMO.

a lot of assumptions here, has it ever been hinted this effect is on the cards? :?:

We have no specific timeline for any kind of pitch shifters.

Ck Just posted the quote, above, today.(Here)
    Seems as if you are correct, clarkydaz.
    At least this is one thing we can take off our wish list for NAMM :(
    I would rather know now, than be disappointed.
    Maybe it will still come, down the road :rolleyes:
    So, for now, we have to dust off our Whammy pedals.(I use a Boss PS-6)

Fingers crossed for foot controller, power amp, and new firmware with pitch effects from NAMM!

Fingers crossed here also.
    This extended silence from the KPA team, may be a good sign.
    I am hoping that they will not just use NAMM as the announcement point, and then Musikmesse , as the delivery point.
    You do know what NAMM stands for, (" Not Available till Maybe May") ;)

Thanks Guys,
    I really appreciate the forum heavyweights (Armin,Doc,tylerhb,okstrat), posting with advice, and suggestions.
    I will start with the single SM57, so I have a reference point.
    Then I will try a single e906, and then both.
    Plus, I already have the Palmer 09, so I will try that also.
    Can't really afford the other mic suggestions, but that's why all your profiles are worth buying, and I have,thanks(-:

If you're looking to get another mic a ribbon would be good. I would recommend a Beyer M160.

Thanks for the article in your last post, and yes, the Beyer M160, is mentioned quite often on the other forums I referenced, but is a tad out of my price range.(If I go for a higher priced mic, I guess ebay would be worth a shot).
    I have read quite a bit on mic placement, including Armin's posts. That will take a little experimentation, and as far as a mic pre, I'll just be using the Onyx in the Mackie, which are said to be decent enough.

Hi All (-:
    I am coming up on some free time, and will finally get a chance to profile my amps.
    I have some Christmas $'s to spend, and am looking at mics for profiling.
    I already have 2 SM57's, a CAD M179, and a Palmer PDI-09 w/Ultimate Attenuator.

My eyes are sore from reading threads about recording guitar cabs, at Gearslutz, Home Recording, TGP.
    I would like to get one more mic to pair with a SM57.
    From all my reading (bearing in mind these are lower cost choices), it boils down to one of these,

Electro Voice ND468
    Electro Voice Cardinal
    Sennheiser e906
    Sennheiser E609
    Sennheiser MD 421
    MXL R144 Ribbon

I will be using either 2 mics, or 1 mic plus the Palmer, going into a Mackie 1220i, then to KPA.
    I will experiment with different combinations, but have read that 1 mic plus the Palmer may yield the best results due to no phasing issues.

On the recording forums, one of the most popular combos is the 57 and the 906, and for a single mic, the 421.
    I do not have a pro level studio, but I do have a well treated room w/proper isolation for the cabs.
    I am getting excited about this, and would welcome all advice, and opinions, on which mic may be the best addition.
    Plus opinions on the 3:1 rule, for 2 mics, and, front and back mic'ing, for open back combos.

It may take me a while, but some good profiles (hopefully) will come from this.
    Then I can sell my amps, and buy the KPA II 8o
    Thanks,
    bert(-:
    amps profiled will be,
    Vintage 47 Oahu Tonemaster.
    1956 National 1220
    1969 Dual Showman(n/r head)
    (w/Marshall 1965b 4x10Celestion G10L-35s)
    Genz Benz BP30-112(4 EL-84)

I know a little out of it, but I'm not sure who Mr Wagener is ?( But obviously from the conversation here he is an amazing producer of guitar tone. I'll definitly find out more about him. Sounds like a magnificent endorsement for this great product that I grow to love even more each day :love: Merry Christmas Paul

This appears to be a Major endorsement.
    Check out Mr Wagener's "list of recording credits", from 1975 to present.
    It impressed the heck outta me.
    If you read the whole thread, over at Gearslutz, it was taking the usual ugly turn, until Mr Wagener chimed in.
    He, obviously, commands a lot of respect over there. Deservedly so, judging by that list of recording credits.