Posts by Brattcave

Lol I sometimes think I try and make things as hard as I can! :pinch:

Yep, this is all for small home studio use - having a new StudioRTA Producer station desk delivered so I'm deluding myself that I can finally get everything 'sorted'.
    Once and for all. For at least er a few weeks...

Settled on a Samson S-Patch Plus 48 Point patchbay in the end as it has switchable normal/half normal/thru switches on the front. If it all works I'll post a diagram in case anyone else is thinking along similar lines. If it all blows up I'll post a pic of me with a banner simply stating "Don't!"

Cheers for your input.

Hi Steeldom,

Thanks for taking the time to look at this. Your alternatives gave me something to think about actually. A switcher is a nice idea but as you mentioned, might be quite costly.
    I like the creative possibilities of mixing the parallel signal post fx loop... I might give that a try with (another ;) ) spare Roland digital mixer I have. E.g KPA effect loop send > 4 way audio splitter > external FX units > mixer > back to KPA effects return. Might get some interesting results like that if I could work out the various mono/stereo variables.

With regards to the patchbays... I'm new to these and it seems it can get quite complex for my caveman cognitive abilities. What I was thinking of was to have perhaps a few different paths setup and decide which one I want patched into the KPA effects loop. E.g KPA effect sends to Patchbay inputs patched to external effects back to KPA effect return. I could only feed one external effect at a time using this but I could link a few units together like the boss pedals. E.g

PodHD500 to KPA OR...
    Boss DD delay connected in series with Boss Slicer OR..
    TC G Major to KPA OR...

Would this not work then?
    I'd still be plugging things in and out (Unless I used 'normalled' connections) but it would hopefully be more flexible than it currently is. These things are actually more difficult to describe in words than to actually do!

Thanks again.

Hi,
    Apologies for the length of this but I wanted to provide enough information for any passing forum brains to be able to help out.
    Like many of us here I suspect I've amassed a fair bit of 'Gearage' over the years and would like to use it more conveniently in the KPA's effect loop. Rather than continually plug it in / out or leave it all plugged in a more conventional signal path, I've been thinking about using a patchbay in the effect loop but I've not used this sort of set-up before and was wondering if this is a workable idea?

The sort of equipment I'm looking at using is as follows - they are mostly stereo inputs/outputs unless otherwise stated:
    Boss VF-1 multi-effects
    TC G Major
    Electrix Filter Factory
    POD HD500
    POD X3
    Boss SL20 slicer
    Boss DD50 giga delay
    Electro Harmonix Q Tron plus (mono)
    Digitech Whammy pedal (mono)
    An old Zoom 1201 (!)

I'd be using unbalanced connections on all these units. I expect I would go down the TRS route in terms of patchbays rather than any hard wired connections or bantam type units.

Questions...
    1. Despite using unbalanced connections would a balanced patchbay be the way to go? I've found some examples of similar setups and people seem to be using balanced patchbays as it gives them the option of adding balanced gear later.
    2. What sort of cables should I be using into the patchbay and for patching?
    3. What other issues should I be aware of...?
    4. Any recommendations for patchbays? The DBX PB-48 Point Patchbay looks like it will accept balanced TRS or unbalanced TS connections.
    Is anyone using a similar system to this?

Any comments on any of this would be gratefully received as left to my own devices I'm bound to blow something up :P

Cheers :thumbup:

Brett

Well here is the way I see this. - A modeler is algorithms and code to match the real amp in question. - the Kemper is a profiler to match the real am in question, these parameters are not coded in...

Random afternoon lazy holiday thought but...I've often wondered what exactly is being captured by the profiling process. Judging by the small size of the .kipr files I dumbed down my thinking to regard it as some sort of internal parameter setting of available functions. However, I seem to remember CK saying that it was similar to convolution - so is there something 'physical' being captured? This might make it much harder to blend different profiles...

Thanks guys - it's not picking up via the thru either. No matter - I'll just route the slicer via my looper for now and it can sync to that. I must have missed this as a known issue. Thought my unit was defective for a moment there... that or my mind was melting in this rare heat we're having in the UK.

Thanks for helping out,

Brett

Dear Forum Men,
    I'm stumbled upon a problem today with my Kemper's midi out when I tried to externally sync the tempo of my Boss Slicer SL-20 pedal. (Can't be set digitally which is why I link it up to an external source)
    Things I've checked:
    - Cable (Partially ruling out being a total numpty...perhaps )
    - Synced slicer successfully to boss looper (Ruling out defective midi in port on slicer)
    - Tempo enabled on Kemper
    - Checked each midi channel on Kemper ranging from Omni to 14 - no message received on slicer.
    - The Kemper midi in works - I have a HD500 setup to control volume and switch on/off stomps. Tried this connected/disconnected to check for interference.

Also...the slicer doesn't allow you to adjust the tempo once it's receiving midi messages from another source - the fact that I can adjust it shows it's not receiving anything (?) I'm stuck for an answer ?( so I'd thought I'd ring the 'numpty bell' and hope someone can help.

UPDATE: Ah... it appears I can't send any messages at all from the KPA midi out - just tested it in Ableton and it doesn't pick up anything... Is the Kemper not able to send midi messages out at this point?

Any assistance would be gratefully received - I've bound to have overlooked something rudimentary that will no doubt end in me going outside, falling to my knees, stretching my hands to the heavens and loudly proclaiming, " I've been a fool " :wacko:

Cheers,
    Brett of Numptyville 8o

That said, if you look at the back of your Kemper you'll notice a Network connection--I think there is a potentially opportunity to build the Rig management in as a service you connect to with a web browser neatly dodging all the platform issues. I'd love it if I could plug a WiFi antenna into the USB and connect to the Kemper from my iPad.

Now there's an idea... granted it wouldn't add much functionality that isn't already there, but as a fully grown ponce I like the idea of flouncing about with my iPad whilst busting out a variety of impressively poncy power gestures. 8o

Nope but... if you take a look in the "Rig and Profile exchange" section of the forum quite a few members do post links to soundcloud samples to give people an idea of how they sound. Obviously there are some extraneous variables to consider here e.g different guitar pickups, your monitoring system etc.

In the end... you'll just gonna have to play them all to find out :rolleyes:

Hi Pete,

Not sure if this would work but I've used a Radial 'dragster' between my guitar and devices in the past to help with impedance issues. Inexpensive little thing that you can adjust to get back any lost 'warmth'. Not thought of using it in conjunction with the KPA until just then... just a random suggestion.

Btw, Looking forward to get some time this weekend to try your new profiles by the way - great stuff by the sounds of others' comments here. Cheers, Brett.

[Blocked Image: http://www.tonebone.com/images/dragster-top-labeled-310w.jpg]

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-dragster.htm

It would be nice to have a few surveys about this type of thing - I know it's all subjective but it's interesting none the less. Not sure we can do that here?

By the way - those QSC K10 owners - can you use these at home levels without blowing the walls out? Can you still get a nice tone at lower volumes? Be interested in your experiences as I'm considering these. Cheers.

Brett