Posts by evanbrass

So we all kind of get the idea on how they profile the amps, but does anyone know how they create the pedals in the KPA? For example the Tube screamer, did they do some kind of profiling, using the real thing, or are they just digital models more like Line 6 pod kind of thing. I'm thinking they are more like models, because of the fact that you have to integrate the entire sweep of the tone knobs etc.

anyway, just curious,

Evan

I don't think the KPA is for everyone,
    It's never going to be exactly like a real amp, but it's the closest thing yet. For many of us, including me, it's good enough to replace 90% of the guitar recording that I do.

I feel the same way about not hearing any profiles that have that "chime" like you hear in ac30s etc, but I think there are a lot of profiles that have great note separation in the profiles.
    also - in regards to the chime aspect - I feel like we hear "chime" more when we are in the room with the amp, or playing a real amp. The KPA is not a real amp. it's not supposed to sound like an amp. It's supposed to sound like an amp through a microphone. I think even when you record a chimey amp for real, some of the chime gets lost.

I've noticed that the profiles that sound the best to me are when the eq is off, or flat. I do a lot of recording, and the EQ on the kemper isn't as nice as a good quality outboard EQ or even some of the plugins that I'll use after it's recorded. People should spend more time using the natural EQ of mic placement before they commit to a profile. For example - move the mic back if there's too much bass, if it needs to be brighter move the mic towards the center, if you need a little less edge, angle the mic a little bit. My favorite profiles are the ones that sound great with the EQ flat. You can tell someone spent time miking it correctly. for example, everyone raves about and44's profiles, and I do think they sound pretty good, but if you take the EQ and reverb off, they don't sound as good. Hoping this next pack he releases he has some better sounding profiles without EQ.
    PS - no offense to and44 - it's awesome to have someone providing so many profiles and many people think they are the best sounding profiles yet

Love all the profiles and the community here. I'm surprised at the lack of outstanding JCM 800 profiles. I always thought that was a great amp, but I've tried all the profiles, and they are kind of lackluster. I feel like that is such an iconic tone. so anyway, yeah, if anyone has a great sounding 800, I think that is one of the amps that hasn't been captured in it's full capacity yet.

Also, I think all the AC30 profiles are pretty amazing, but I've yet to hear that really chimey ac30 type sound ala The Jam? anyone know of any profiles that capture this?

Anyway, I love the kemper - everyday I wake up and download new rigs, and rate them. It's my morning ritual!

Yo just downloaded the Holdsworth like Rig- Really great - first profile I 5 starred.

I like it bare - with no stomps, no EQ, and the only effects is the one in the X slot (the eq)
    Sounds really really good. nice midrange crunch not too clean not too distorted.

So that's not a guitar pre-amp then? how did you make the profile? you're miking a cab though right?
    whether it's a guitar amp or not, it sounds great

anyway, thanks for the profile :)

Just got my kemper in last week -

Sooo...There is no performance mode yet right? It doesn't work on mine.
    I updated to the new OS and still no joy.

Also what is the USB port for? (not the standard one, but the square one which I'm guessing at some point will hook up to a computer via a usb wire)

I'm kinda bummed, it seems like this thing was launched with a bunch of features that aren't implemented yet.
    It would be sweet if that USB port would be so that I could hook it up to my computer and have some kind of software librarian where I could edit on my computer, instead of the Kemper and arrange my files in a folder type system (Which again, seems like it should have been implemented at launch)

How long do you think they will update this version of the KPA? like will I have to go and buy a new design hardware KPA to get new features, or will they be able to update the OS on this one I have now for the next couple of years.
    Wondering if I should just return this and wait for the next model...

Anyway, thoughts anyone? Bueller?

where do I download them at?

This is where I'm confused - are they talking about a power amp so that I can plug into the back of say an 8ohm cab and sound would come out? so It would act like a real guitar amp head.

If that's the case, will the "profile" bypass the cab and mic modeling somehow?

As it stands right now, I could take this thing on tour with me, and send the signal to the soundguy right from my Kemper with no poweramp, and send a signal to the monitor guy if I wanted to as well with no problems. As long as they turn the thing up in my monitors, I'm set right?

I just don't see the benefit to a poweramp

Evan

I also agree with this - would be a huge time saver.

at least to just have a separate folder where you could get to the new profiles that you imported, so that you know which ones are the new ones.