Posts by guenterhaas

Try it with a Electrovoice EVM 12L or a Celestion G12-65. Everybody recommends them for Fuchs D-style amps. I'm using an Electrovoice with my ODS and tried it with a G12-65. Both are awesome depending on what you are looking for (Carlton, Ford, ...).

I'm also owning several Boogie cabs with EVM 12Ls and the difference between old Electrovoice-speakers and new ones is extreme. The very old speaker from my Boogie MKII (one of the first ones made) sounds awesome, no comparison to the kind of sterile new ones.

Every speaker is different, unfortunately there is no simple rule like "this speaker is good for that and this one is good for that" ;)

My experience with Soundside profiles is different. I don't like them. I don't like the combination of heads and cabs he uses (4x12 with V30 on many profiles) and I don't see them as professional grade profiles.

Funny things in this thread.... I think Armin's profiles are outstanding, I'm a professional guitar-player for 25 years and I use them all the time. Decide by yourself if these guitar-sounds (all profiles are from Soundside) are not "professional grade profiles":

- Floydstein (Bogner Goldfinger)

- Rusty Fingers (Suhr Badger 30)

- Deep Water (Budda Superdrive)

- Blues For Prince (Fender Princeton)

- Mr. Diezel (Diezel VH-4)

- Monster In The House (Marshall Plexi E)

- Wish You Were A Diamond ('57 Fender Deluxe)

- Jimi-Jam (Marshall 410H)

I personally deleted 90% of the Kemper presets and I found only a few really good profiles in Rig Exchange. If somedbody is happy with free profiles and the Kemper presets, for sure that's ok, too. I use a lot from Armin, some from TAF, some free ones (like the Morgan AC20) and some profiles of my own amps.

P.S.: I'm just a user, I don't sell any profiles and I'm not connected to Soundside.de or TAF.

Well, it's all a matter of taste, the guitars you use and your playing-style. My favourites for clean sounds are "'57 Fender Deluxe", "Elmwood Modena" and "Diezel VH-4" from Armin, "Bassman 59" from TAF, the "famous" Morgan 20 from RE (I reduced the gain for a cleaner profile) and my own profiles (Dr. Z Maz Sen., THD Univalve, Fender Blues Junior, Boogie MK2).

I'm not so happy with the LazyJ-Bundle (overall I miss the Fender "sparkle"), but like I said, this could be different with other guitars ect. My main guitars are Fenders from the sixties ('66 strat and tele, everything original except new frets).

Oh, that would be VERY interesting ! Would you mind if I would send you a BlueAmps 1x12" to test it in one run with the CLR and Q12 ?
    This would give all KPA users a quite unbiased and neutral comparison review of all 3 available coaxial 1x12" FRFR solutions I am aware of at the moment.
    What do you think ? I could send out a CX middle of next week.

Tilman

Hi Tilman (in English for our international friends): didn't you want to send me the BlueAmp 1x12" (with a little modification, so I can use the cab passive, too) for testing anyway? ;) I'll try to reach Ingolf and a comparison between these 3 cabs (BlueAmp, CLR + Q12a) could be very helpful for a lot of users here. And of course for myself, too.

Hey Guenter,
    Not sure whether you're referring to the CLR... If this is the case, they are not designed to act like a guitar cab, but are extremely linear (70-18000 +\- 2 dB IIRC) and transparent, apart from being made coherent in phase. They can be used as MF monitors, and have been so. Users report to be satisfied :)

Don't get me wrong, the CLR maybe a great FRFR-cab (like Matrix and kpa-solutions), but nevertheless there's a big difference between nearfield studio-monitors and FRFR-cabs. These are two different worlds like P.A. and studio-gear. My Matrix Q12a-cab (40-20.000 Hz) and all other FRFR-cabs with a 12" coax-speaker are built to be used mainly for live-occasions, good studio-monitors should be as "honest" as possible showing any failures in the mix.

Anway, the KPA is doing an excellent job in both worlds, it would be very interesting to have a comparison between the Atomic, Matrix and kpa-solutions cabs.

I can truely recommend the fantastic Bogner Goldfinger-profiles from Armin, his profiles are getting better and better, but listen for yourself:

- Floydstein

profiles used for the clean guitars (Fender '66 strat & tele): BogGF 1 09 121212 bB H + BogGF 2 10 171709bB H
    profile used for the distorted guitars (PRS baritone + Gibson Les Paul '59 reissue): BogGF 6 171012 10 H

Eqs are all flat, for the clean guitars I used a little bit of compression from Cubase, some reverb and delay from Cubase, too.

Strat + tele both neck pickup, PRS baritone bridge, Les Paul bridge switching to neck during the solo (spontaneously...).

Standard KPA settings (clean sense 5.0 / distortion sense 0.0), I normally play 010s on my electric guitars and I use heavy picks (Dunlop 1.14mm).

I don't understand the controversy, the available FRFR-cabs are very similar, f.e. Atomic, Matrix or the German company kpa-solutions. Because taste and ears are VERY different, everybody should buy what's best for him. I bought the active Matrix Q12a and I'm happy with it, very solid construction and a great sound for 1x12". In my studio I use Klein & Hummel-monitors (the company was recently bought by Neumann), live my Kemper is going straight into the desk, because I'm playing with in ears (UE-11 Pro) anyway. For smaller gigs without in ears or for rehearsals I'm using the Q12a. And if I want to kill people I'm using my Marshall Plexi.... ;)

What doesn't make any sense: comparing FRFR-systems with high quality studio monitors, FRFR-cabs like Atomic are constructed to act like a "real" guitar-cab, studio-monitors should be as linear as possible and give a detailed picture of all instruments and audio-sources. Nearfield-monitors are built for producing and mixing, not for cranking up guitars.

Out of curiosity and desiring the best set up for my strat.. What are you clean sense and dirty sense settings?

Please and Thank You!

I used my Fender strat from '66, everything original except new frets, bridge singlecoil on all tracks.

The only profile I used: ET 3 15 121212 tbcm

KPA: Clean Sense 5.0 / Distortion Sense 0.0 / KPA direct into my RME Fireface 400 (channelstrip bypassed).

Important for the sound of the rhythm guitars: they are played with fingers, not with a plec.

By the way: my name is "Guenter", "Haas" is my family name (please not "Hass", this means hate.....).

I never heard of this amp (Egnater "Tweaker 88") before, but I like the sound very much, it's very different from the most amps I know. Nice warm tone, "cosy" low mids and it's just fun to play the profiles:

- Twisted Boogie (Egnater "Tweaker 88")

There's just one profile I used for all guitars: ET 3 15 121212 tbcm

Like always no editing, eq, compressor or anything else, just some reverb and delay from Cubase for the lead-guitar, the rhythm guitars are dry. The guitar I used on all tracks: Fender '66 strat (everything original except new frets).

I like the suhr most. Did you modify the profile?

I never edit or modify Armin's profiles when In post my demos here. Sometimes I add some plugins: Native Instruments RC 24-reverb or/and delay, but never eq, compressor ect., that's all. The "Rusty Fingers"-rhythm guitars are absolutely dry and flat, on the lead-guitar there's a mono-delay. The "Deep Water"-guitars are also flat with some reverb on both guitars and stereo-delay on the lead-guitar.

Guitars used on "Rusty Fingers" (Suhr Badger 30): Fender '66 strat for rhythm and Tokai LP with Lindy Fralin P90's for lead (both bridge pickup). I used only one profile for both guitars, to get a clean sound in the middle-part I simply reduced the volume on the guitars.

Guitars on "Deep Water" (Budda Superdrive): PRS Mike Mushok baritone guitar (bridge PU / tremolo from Kemper) for rhythm and Fender '66 strat (neck PU) for lead, I used to (very similar) profiles.

I'm working with Cubase 7, RME Fireface 400 and Klein & Hummel monitors.

First you have to get the most possible "linear" hearing-situation, that means: your studio-monitors and your room shouldn't change the original sound. If you have your studio-monitors in a normal, non-linear-room (living-room ect.) a plugin like Arc 2 from IK Multimedia could help you a lot.

If you don't have a linear hearing-situation, sounds may have too much treble, bass, whatever, especially the room is changing your sound more than you would imagine.

For my experience Armin's profiles are very well done and I don't have any problems with too much brightness.

Of course guitars are also VERY important, there are huge differences even with diffrent Les Pauls.