Posts by guenterhaas

I don't know how you define "metal", but of course the VH4, Roadster and Rectifier from Bundle 4 are excellent metal-monsters. They got everything you need, deep mids, a lot of gain and nevertheless clarity, they are also very authentic compared with the real amps.

i think non-powered would give you more options.thats why i chose that version.and if you are going to be playing live i would go for the rack which will sit securely on top of a cab if need be.

More options with a non powered version ??? If you'll buy a powered version you will have ALL options of the non-powered KPA PLUS the 600W-amp. ;) By the way, the powerhead also looks great on a cab, the rack-version is missing the leds for bass, middle, treble, presence and volume.

It sounds great .
    Which JVM rig?
    C13, 21, 31?
    JVM 410H or JVM 410H Warm?

It's the JVM 410H from Bundle 1, because I renamed the profiles I don't remember if C13, 21, 31 ;)

I'm using several JVM 410H-profiles from Bundle 1, for a good Hendrix-tone I also can recommend the Plexi (35: Plexi E) from Bundle 5.

...and I can say personally Armin's profiles are right up there in quality....

I agree totally, I spent half of my life in studios doing sessions and the first thing I did -after buying the KPA- was creating my own profiles. I know very well how to mike up guitar-cabinets, I have my "reference-cabinet", several very good mikes, state-of-the-art mic preamps and several excellent amps (60s Marshall, old Boogie MK 2, Dr. Z Maz Sen., Fender Pro Blues, THD Univalve and more). Besides a few other profiles, Armin's and my own profiles are the only ones left on my KPA. For sure I don't like every profiled amp, but Armin's profiles reflect my taste exactly. I'm not a big fan of the MKV and some other Boogies, but the Roadster and Rectifier sound great. I never liked Engl and Hughes & Kettner amps, but there are a lot of other great amps like the VH4, Plexi, JVM 410, '57 Fender Deluxe, Vox AC 30 and more. At least more than enough to get a lot of great guitar-sounds ;)

Maybe Armin's homepage is not very fancy and some demos could be better, but the profiles are very good and that's more important. I bought some profiles from another commercial seller (with a very fancy homepage) and some "great" demos (guitars in dropped down tunings with a lot of reverb and delay...). At the end I was very dissapointed, the profiles didn't sound authentic with too much tweaking, so 99% left the KPA.

Great playing, Gunther. Unfortunately, not what i meant -
    personally, i play mostly progressive and fusion-y stuff, as well as some modern Jazz.
    both me and VESmedic are ERG players, with one or more strings too many, so i was hoping to get a taste of that -
    between the Recto, Diezel and Mark V, bundle IV should be ERG heaven.

Like I told you the profiles are extremely versatile, I play nearly all kinds of styles and they cover all. I also use baritone-guitars (electric and acoustic ), a Steinberger GM4TA with trans tremolo, Hoefner archtop jazz guitars with flatwounds, different tunings and a lot more ;) Of course also various "normal" guitars like strats, teles, les pauls, semi-acoustics ect.

Here's a little tune I played with one of Armin's JVM-profiles:

Jimi-Jam

To come close to a Hendrix-sound you'll need the wohle combination: the right guitar (Fender 60's Strat or Custom reissue), guitar-tuning (mostly Eb), amp (mainly Marshalls) and of course most important his unique style of playing.

I'm struggling a bit with Armin's demos for my style and just need a little push over the edge of buying bundle 4.
    If you could just take some of your favorites and throw a couple of riffs at me as mp3, i'd be thankful.

You're struggling with the demos? Listen to this little demo from me:

Mr. Diezel

The Diezel is very good and already one of my favourites, but the Boogies in Bundle 4 are awesome, too. With Bundle 4 your style (what is it?) doesn't matter, you can play anything from jazz to metal.

I'm also using the Powerhead with my "reference-cabinet" (Boogie Thiele 1x12" with a very old EVoice 12) and I don't have any problems. I can use the same profiles, whether I use the Master Output for my studio monitors (Klein & Hummel, very linear) or the Monitor Out for the cabinet. The Powerhead-slave seems to be very linear and sounds awesome on the Boogie-cabinet, too.

But anyway, just use some profiles especially for the cabinet and the problem must be solved, there are so many diffrent studio-monitors, active boxes, speakers and cabinets out there.

By the way, for my ears the V30s do sound very "nasal" and they influence the whole guitar-sound a lot.

For me the track is too "linear", too much compression, not enough dynamics, it could sound much more "open". Maybe there are some frequencies disturbing each other, you should start with a powerful drum-sound, then add bass, keys and guitars track by track. Very often hi-gain guitar-sounds with a lot of bass kill other bass-frequencies, a bass-cut could help.