Posts by guenterhaas

Love the new Diezel clip!
    Great playing as always.

Your song shows that the VH4 is not only for high gain.

There are tons of high gain-sounds on the market and surely the VH4 is a high gain-beast, too. But I chose a clean and a crunch sound to show that the Diezel can be very close to a Dumble or an old Boogie with a nice and warm character. The VH4 is maybe one of the best amps ever made.

The VH4 is great and very versatile, I know one guy in Munich who just sold his Diezel VH4 and uses the profiles, instead.

Many profiles on the market are "pimped" to impress people, with a lot of eq, compressor, reverb ect. added after profiling. They may sound well on first sight, but without effects they often will sound weak. Whereas Armin's profiles are very authentic and detailled and much closer to the original amps than most of the other profiles on the market.

With profiles like the Plexi (JMP 1959), Boogie Roadster, Diezel VH4, Elmwood Modena, Boogie Rectifier, 1957 Fender Harvard, Vox AC 30 TB, Marshall JVM 410H, Damage Control Womanizer, '57 Fender Deluxe ect. you got a truck full of great amps in a little box. ;)

Really considering the vh4 profiles and "new" mark v profiles.... So the diezel is pretty great? Have you played a real vh4 to compare?

I feel many profiles ou there, be them factory, user or commercial, have too much bottom end or too much high end, and I notice a lot of them are "fixed" after profiling by messing with the deep edit amp block parameters, which IMHO is far from ideal. My approach is always make a little more effort, take a little more time and get it right just with mic positioning.

Any chance of something like a hot rodded Marshall pack of profiles popping up anytime soon?

That's exactly my experience, too and that's why I like Armin's profiles more than others. Many profiles are "pimped" afterwards and far away from the original amp. I bought some profiles from another big seller here and I'm very dissapointed, when I switch off compression, eq ect. the pure amp-sound is too weak. It's easy to add compression and eqs to make the profiles louder and more "impressive", but with more effects you get more noise and you lose the original character of the profiled amp totally.

It sounds great - it was the solo notes that have such great sustain. My compliments to the player, the profiler, and the person who made that strat without putting in any plinky pickups. :)

The Fender strat is from 1966, everything is original besides new frets and a 5-way-switch. I'm just getting through the Mesa Boogie Roadster and Diezel VH4-profiles, they are excellent, too. More demos will come in the future. ;)

That sounds great!

No compressor? Does the profile naturally have that kind of sustain, or were you playing loud enough for sustained notes to "bloom" like that? Some of the held notes seems to get louder, and it didn't sound like you were keeping them sustaining with finger vibrato.

No compressor, like I wrote there's no effect at all, just a little reverb. The sustain is coming from the profile's sound, the guitar (Fender '66-strat) and -hopefully- my fingers. ;)

I didn't play loud, actually very qiet at room level via my studio-monitors (Klein & Hummel O110). The profile is really great and and inspired me immediately to Rory Gallagher's sound and style.

I dont mind paying a little more if i know for sure i'm getting quality and in this case I must say that i thought Guenther's demo was fantastic especially considering post eq etc was kept to a minimum.

The eq actually is flat, you just hear the Kemper going straight into my audio-interface (RME Fireface) without adding plugins from my software (Cubase 7). Normally I use Waves plugins for compression, eq ect., but NOT on the Kemper demos, there's no eq and no compressor. I try to keep the guitar-sound as pure and authentic as possible, I sometimes just add a little reverb or delay (mainly for the lead-guitar), that's it.

I'm just finishing another demo with Armin's "Damage Control Womanizer"-profile from Bundle I, with a -good- strat you'll get THE Rory Gallagher-sound ;)

Taste is very individual, I recently downloaded the Amp-Factory profiles from the Kemper-side and I didn't like one profile, but with the 1959 Plexi-profile alone (in different settings from clean to hi-gain) I easily could play a whole show.

I would suggest the Plexi 1959 from soundside.de (Profile Pack 35). With the profile on high gain or combined with one of the Kemper's stomp boxes you should get a think "Sambora-like" tone. You can hear a demo from me using a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul and the 1959 Plexi-profile on soundside.de, too.

1) I don't use any of the Kemper presets, actually I deleted the most.

2) 99% of the user-profiles don't work for me.

3) I mainly use Armin's profiles and my own.

If you have a great variety of different profiles you always will find the right ones for you. Thats why I like Armin's detailed profile-collection and why they don't "frighten me to death".

I prefer Vintage and custom-shop guitars, I don't like active pick-ups and I hate EMGs. I always will prefer an old Plexi, Fender or Vox to a boutique-amp with a 1000 knobs or a high-gain amp. I prefer the "pure" amp-tone, I don't use a lot of effects and I like high-quality cables like Spectraflex. That's my taste and that's why a lot of the profiles on the market won't work for me. It's very ease to find a "death-metal"-profile, but until know I didn't hear any Marshall-profile with the quality and variety of this 1959-Plexi.

To the price-discussion: if you want the best quality (I'm a professional guitarist and I'm earning money with my Kemper), you maybe have to spend a little bit more and you don't get it for free, too. I'm also tired of installing hundreds of crap profiles, Armin's profiles are so detailed and well done, they are worth every cent.

P.S.: I'm not one of Armin's relatives and I found soundside.de on Google. ;)

...mention The Boogie and Dr. Z ... both expensive and Boutique at one time...

The Dr. Z is very inexpensive compared to Van Weelden & Co and the Boogie Mk2 I bought used long time ago (Serial-Nr. 5xx). It's just my experience that amps are generally overrated when it comes to a great guitar-sound. Everything in the "sound-chain" is important, first the guitar and of course cables and effects, too, and the main thing will always be the player himself.

I'm more into Vintage guitars, but of course everybody can collect what he wants. ;)

Nevertheless the KPA is a wonderful tool and I use it all the time.

Is it really worth to buy these very expensive boutique-amps? I am a professional guitar-player for 25 years and I always used "standard"-amps like old Marshalls, my Boogie Mk2, Dr Z. Maz Sen., Vox AC30 ect. All amps sound aweseome, I do a lot of gigs with a small Fender Blues Junior (12", 1st series in Tweed) and it sounds excellent.

All the boutique-amps I have tried didn't satisfy my taste and I always prefered the standard-amps, my old amps are handwired and VERY solid, too, and for me they sound better.

And don't forget: at the end it's not the equipment, it's all about your emotions being transported through your fingers, great guitar-players like Larry Carlton and Robben Ford will have a great sound on nearly all equipment.

Have you got both the Elmwood and Greenback packs? if so how different are they?

I have both packs and I like both, talking about difference in sounds is always very difficult. ;)

I also use some crunch rectifier-profiles, for distorted sounds I prefer Armin's Marshalls (JVM + 1959 Plexi) and my own Boogie MK2-profiles. The 1959 Plexi is extremely versatile, you can get everything from clean to hi-gain, just using the Kemper's gain at one Profile, the 1959 Plexi is definetively awesome.

I haven' spent much time with the diezel vh4 and Mark 5, yet, but Armin's profiles are worth the money anyway.

By the way: I'm from Hamburg (Germany), working as a live- and studio-player and musical director, also releasing my own music (--> "Guenter Haas" & "Cinemascope" at iTunes).

Thanks guys, I just took one of the Plexi-profiles, there are tons of it and they're all great. Even I got a a lot of excellent amps and profiles by myself (Marshall, Fender, Dr. Z, Boogie, THD ect.), I couldn't imagine my Kemper without Armin's profiles.

Next to the 1959 Plexi I also use his Elmwood Modena M60, 1957 Fender Harvard, Mark Bass F1, Damage Control Womanizer, 1952 und 1957 Fender Deluxe, Marshall JVM 410H, Vox AC30 TB and many more.