Posts by crhfish

I just put up two profiles of the Hotone Purple Rain Plexi Nano. This is a great little amp and much to my surprise it put out some good plexi VH profiles. These are very sensitive to the guitar and pickup. Also changing the cabs changes the overall sound a great deal so if your into VH, play around with them a bit. I did these with my Q8 samson vocal mic straight in, no mixer. I used a 2-10 vintage JBL cab for the original profile.

I just put up 8 profiles using the Redbox 5. I had tried using previous direct boxes and did not like the results. These were good enough to put up so folks could see how this little direct box works. It might not be quite as good as a good mic, but for those with limited space, budget and time, its not a bad tool to have. I have 2 profiles each of a handwired AC15, a Marshall SLX, a Peavey XXX combo and a Marshall TSL 122 combo. These are unmodified except for some quick tweaking. The original RB cabinet profile is still attached.

I agree about the old red box. I had one and took it back the same day about a year ago. This is a newer version and to me it sounds much better than the old one. I can tell you right now for certain, for someone with limited access to good mics or no experience in using mics, etc, this new Redbox is a good alternative. Give me a few days and I'll put up some unaltered profiles.

Today I tried something new. I purchased one of the new Redbox DI boxes that has the ability to change the charters of the sound you hear. It basically has 5 simple switches to emulate a cabs character. The switches change the sound up a bit. So far the few profiles I have done were pretty good. This thing was only $99 and for many it would be a good way to get profiles without fighting with Mics. Plus it can be used when playing live. I tried DI boxes before and did not like them. This one is good for $99.

I thought I would start a thread about simple tips that can improve or at least change the way the profiler works. I'm not a professional so my idea is to make this thread for us home users, but really any good idea should be posted. I'll start with my own observations after spending the past few days profiling. My main setup is a small yamaha mixing board and two mics. I normally use a Samsom Q8 vocal mic and an AKG c1000 both run into the board. I use the tone controls on the mixer to help me a little. I normally close mic both of them but I only have one stand so one is hung in front of the amp and the other is on the stand. I spend a fair amount of time moving them about and on an angle until I get a sound I like. I found this week that a new cab I bought makes some cool profiles even though I usually change the cab after I am done. Its a Weber enclosure with some JBL clones designed for a very clean sound. I also use a 2-12 cab that has one vintage celestion and one modern celestion. Either can be miced. I have found that setting up the amp in the hallway of my daughters room with it facing the wall from about a foot away really helps. I guess it works like an isolation box but it also gets the amp out of the room so I can hear whats going on a bit better. Its hard for me to profile with the amp in the room. I profile loud most of the time and try and run the machine just below the input clipping. I have used direct outs on a few amps and then added cabs later. Depending on the amp, this can create some cool profiles. I have learned to spend some time with the profiles after I make them, a least a few weeks. I try and make around 10 for each amp sound and work it down to one or two. My old ears get fried pretty quick so I need some time to make sure I like them and that they sound ok with different guitars. My goal is to try and put on the exchange the best profiles I can replacing older ones as I get better ones to take their place.

Thats my process in a nutshell, I would be interested in any other simple tips i could try that might help me in the future.

Chuck from San Antonio

I have the Kemper and an eleven rack. By coincidence, they both put out stand alone editors at the same time. The one for the Eleven rack is perfect. It does everything, you can control it all, except the library which is kinda weird. But, and this is a big one, they are done with the unit otherwise. Its not a bad unit at all but it is lacking in terms of amps and effects.

The Kemper editor is a big help but it is only a library editor. I'll take it as I really needed something to manage all of the profiles. Meanwhile they keep upgrading the effects and usability of the kemper. I'll be honest, I can't keep up. There are so many effects now that I have not tried and I'm sure I'm going to find some new/old profiles now with the editor.

The kemper has enough knobs that I guess I don't really need a full blown USB interface. I'm used to it now and like the portability without being a slave to a computer. I never got used to using the eleven rack that way, it was to confusing.

I currently do not have a windows machine in the house exempt one downstairs that stays in the office. I do have an older laptop but its out of date and has not been on in a couple of years. I'm curious about a few things.

1. Do I have to be connected to the Kemper or can I just use the USB stick and sort out my rigs that way.

2. If I can't do the above, is it worth the hassle to try and get this old laptop running. I'm sure its an older version of windows. Right now I can't find the power cord to the dang thing.

Thanks

Chuck

I can't see how a guy in California could get a judgement against you in Germany and collect any money. Your attorney should be able to tell you what the odds are against this. He's got to convince a German court to take your money away from you?? In terms of real damage, who has been damaged more? You or him. To me, it seems the damage to you is pretty real. Did you profit in any way from the photo? Did you damage his reputation? Does not seem like it to me. In the mean time they seem to have scared you pretty bad. Who's acting in bad faith? You or him? The law, real law, is about compensating for real damage. I agree with the others, this guy is fishing. If it were me I would, through my lawyer, tell him to bite me and pound sand and try and collect. But I live in Texas and he would have a very hard time getting anything from me.

Me Too!! Take this profile and crank up the gain just a bit and put a treble booster in front (think coloursound). Adjust tone to your liking. With the right guitar there's some good VH tones in this one.

I agree. I also like it with a 1959 bassman cab thats out there. I never really know what to put up on the exchange but I'm leaning towards leaving it original and letting everyone else decide if they want to tweak. This little box is FLEXIBLE, jeesh, you can mix and match for days.

Went pawn shopping today with my son who was looking for old video games and I found this.

[Blocked Image: http://i48.tinypic.com/2cncwmc.jpg]

Its basically brand new, I don't think it was ever used. The transformer dates are from late 1964. Its all original with original tubes. I bought it for $50. Came home plugged it up and it worked....well like a champ!! I put up three profiles and all of them are unaltered with the original cab. I think its a great straight fender sound and I hope someone can use them. I have one on volume 3, one on volume 6 and one on volume 9. That little thing is loud on 9!!