Posts by zerocrossing

First off, it's good that you opened a support ticket.
    Apparently your unit is unable to boot completely.
    Therefore I'd put the latest OS in the root directory of your Kemper USB to force a boot & burn process.
    When you have done this simply plug in, then start your profiler by keeping the < and > switches pressed.

Quick question, I'm having this same issue but I can't find out how to "force a boot and burn process."

Thanks

I was playing around with some of the Fuzz effects, which are great IMO, but one thing I miss is the ability to get that crazy f'd up sound from something like a Fuzzfactory when you turn the stability down. I'd love for this to get modeled in the KPA.

Funny, for a long time I've been just ignoring this forum and playing my Kemper. I have zero anger about not getting something I was "promised." I'm just finding out about all this. Seems like a magic present from the gear gods, but until then, I have a really nice piece of gear. Is there something broken about the reverbs and delay? I never thought so.

When someone posts about having trouble getting the same sound in a profile as the sound of their amp, they are usually not comparing the sound of their mic'ed amplifier to the sound of the profile.

A profile will sound like the amplifier+microphone, with the specific microphone placement used. If you a/b them with studio monitors, they will sound the same. A profile cannot sound just like the un-mic'ed amplifier. However, with the right mic choice and placement, it can get very close.

It's so true. With so many guitarists I think they shy away from any amp modeling tech because they're comparing the amp models to a raw amp in a room and not a recording of that amp. There are other products for that though. The Kemper isn't it. Every now and then I get the hanker'n for a real live tube amp, but then I remember what my life is actually like.

I kind of agree with you.
    The use of the wah funktion should not kill the pitch pedal function, when linked to the wah pedal.
    This rule is still fine for the volume pedal function, when linked to the wah pedal.
    I might change this for a future upgrade.

Is anybody disagreeing?

That would be a bit better, but why not go the whole way and give us the ability to choose what pedal does what per rig?

BIZARRO BIZARRO! Have a peanut! 8)

So... I updated my Kemper to the latest and it seems to have changed the way expression pedals were used... not sure how but I seem to think it was better before. Sorry about the memory lapse, but I've been home with a newborn since April and not much music happened in the months leading up either.

Anyway, the current implementation seems so awkward. I can imagine doing really cool synthy stuff using the new pitch effects coupled with filter effects... but then I'm forced to have my expression pedal assigned to either pitch or filter sweep. Frustrating. Also, why can't I just assign any parameter I want to either expression pedals?

tgs (and I) does not ask for nothing more than fidelity in profiling.
    PS: there is a universal rule to make a good mix? and if I have to record some guitars with no bass and drums, can not use the KPA?

Oh come on. Bit melodramatic, eh? I've been using the Kemper for quite a long time as my only "amp" solution and it sounds great to me and if I want some extra bottom thickness, I have no problem getting it. The EQ effects are excellent. Even when I've recorded real amps in the studio I don't think there ever was a time when I didn't EQ the recording in post. Show me an engineer who doesn't give some EQ love to a guitar channel in a live show and I'll show you someone in league with Satan and liberally using black magic. :P

I've never profiled an amp... and I probably never will because I already have access to more amazing sounding profiles than I could ever even use. Sure, if they can get even closer, who'd complain? However, if you want "exact" then you'd better stick with your amp because there really is no such thing as perfect. Like my friend Lao Tzu used to say, "expectations suck." ;)

Funny, this is the range of guitar freq that I always tend to eq out anyway. Don't you feel it steps on the bass and drums if you have such a low end bump? Accuracy aside, what you're asking for is what ends up making my mixes sound muddy. :huh:

The fact that it's intermittent makes it super hard to diagnose. I once tracked something like what you're describing to the bridge pick up of my guitar. Maybe see if switching to a different guitar will make the problem go away.

Chose Type Formant Shift in one of the Stomp slots.
    Works like a Wah effect with Wah pedal.
    Done.

Is there a bug in the current OS version that prevents this? I've had it working forever... (with wah) but for some reason I can't get it working at the moment. I can't even get a wah to work. Maybe I'm missing something, I've been away from the Kemper for a while. New baby's keeping me very busy with a "wah" of her own. :wacko:

I'm considering the Mission Control EP1-KP-GN, though the color is less than unimportant, especially considering the lighting in my studio and the fact that it'll be under foot when I'm using it. :rolleyes:

I currently have a Roland EV-7 I'm using for the job and it works great but it's too big for me. I'm a small guy and the excursion just doesn't feel right to me. The volume knob helps limit it, but over all I just don't feel comfortable with it. My second pedal is a Yamaha and I like the lower profile and shorter throw.

I've also considered the Boss FV500H, but I saw there may be some issues? The main reason I'm looking at it is because the adjustable tension looked interesting. The Rocktron Hex has this as well. They're also in stock where as the Mission Control isn't and a bit cheaper. Should I just wait for the Mission Control?

I just listened to the samples again. First time I read the post I was just on an iBook and I couldn't hear anything egregious. Now I'm in my studio and... I'm not hearing any excessive fizz here either Maybe a little too much on noisy3. Of course you're going to have more distortion when you play multiple strings as you're by default increasing the energy going into the amp. The only thing I can tell you is to perhaps try an EQ pre amp profile to dial down stuff above 8 khz or so. Experiment with different amps. Some real tube amps just sound a bit fizzy when you start to crank the gain up.

I found I was getting some fizz because I had the humbucker of my Steinberger too close to the strings. Dialing it down did wonders. Also be very, very careful about your input gain setting and make sure you're not going into the yellow on output gain. I had to do a lot of gain matching on profiles to get it just right but it was well worth it. Now the fizzies are gone.

I for one and really impressed with all the included stomp boxes including the TS emulation, but I have no real deal to compare it to any more so I have to rely on memory. I'll tell you one thing, it's the only thing I've heard in a long time that made me go, "Oh yeah, that does remind me of my old 80s Tube Screamer..."

...but here's the deal. If there's an amp, stomp or effect that is crucial to your sound... you should use it. Nothing will ever replace it. I love the sound of a Fuzzfactory, so I bought one. The Kemper's germanium fuzz emulations are excellent, but not close in terms of the Fuzzfactory. The good news is, you have one, so you have to do nothing.

For the rest... I take things as they are instead of what they're supposed to be. It's an easier way to live.