Posts by meow461

Only thing that ever worried me, is Im flying the amp brands on my website for commercial reasons, and Im still not sure if I need to change all the names, or if this is still 100% legal or not.. - any solicitors here care to comment on that?

Just open a Line 6 manual, and use their phrasing - they have certainely taken a lot of legal advice before publishing their stuff. Example, from the "Variax acoustic manual" page 22 :

---------------------------------------------------------
    GYPSY

based on 1933 Selmer(r) Maccaferri
    Rosewood back and sides, ebony fingerboard, 648mm scale.

Italian guitarist and luthier Mario Maccaferri designed his best known instrument during his short association with Selmer(r), a French manufacturer. The distinctive cutting tone of these unique bent-top guitars was used to great effect by legendary gypsy guitarist Django Reinhardt. We've modeled the first "D-Hole" version, without the controversial internal resonator.

[[picture of the guitar]]

Selmer is a registered trademark of Conn-Selmer, Inc, and is in no way associated or affiliated with Line 6. The product name, description and image are provided for the sole purpose of identifying the specific products that were studied during Line 6's sound model development.

---------------------------------------------------------
    So my guess is that you have to chose a non copyrighted name for your own prduct : here "GYPSY" instead of "1933 Selmer(r) Maccaferri", you can freely refer to the name, picture and characteristics of the product you describe, and you have to put the usual disclaimer... And you are probably safe with that...

Best regards.

Jean-Jacques/

When you change any value pertinent to a rig (gain, tone, presence, volume, stomp selection, etc), a little 'E' appears on the screen, near the author's name, to indicate that the current rig has been edited. However, in the current version of the firmware (1.5.1), some modifications fail to be noticed :
    - hold a stomp button (A, B, C, D, X or Mod), select with BROWSE a different effect, push EXIT : you have modified the rig, but the 'E' flag has not been set.
    - hold AMPLIFIER (or EQ, or CABINET), select a different preset, EXIT : then again, the rig is modified, but the 'E' flag has not been set.
    So it would be nice if this could be corrected in a future version of the FW.

For now, the 'E' flag is just an indicator, and it doesn't prevent you from selecting another rig, and losing immediately all your modifications. I have many times modified a rig, find a tone that I liked, and wanted to compare it with another tone that I remembered... Just to discover that after doing that, all my modifications were definitively lost.

So, a very nice feature would be, when a rig has been modified, to have a pop-up that displays a message like 'Current rig has been modified - push once again the button (or "turn once more the BROWSE knob") to switch to the new rig, use 'Snapshot' to take a snapshot of the current rig first, or use 'Cancel' to stay with the current rig'.
    Of course, the apparition of this message would be an option, and if you don't select this option, everything works as usual (I don't have to say that I would keep this option checked!).

So, with this feature, we could be sure to never accidentally lose our modifications, but keep them in snapshot.

Now, a second question is the relation between a rig and a snapshot. In the current version of the FW, a snapshot contains exactly the same data as a rig, except for the date, which indicates at what date/time the snapshot has been taken. When tweaking a rig, it can be extremely useful to switch quickly from one version of a rig to another. So I propose, when you select a rig for which you have taken snapshots, that the "< PAGE >" buttons become active, and let you switch from a rig to its various time ordered snapshots. Here again, an option could let you decide, when you switch to a new rig, if you prefer to load the initial rig or its last snapshot.

I really think that the save on edit feature, and the rig/snapshot chain navigation constitute together a coherent improvement to the user interface.

Best regards.

Jean-Jacques.

I really like the Push/Hold paradigm of the user interface of the KPA. I mean by this expression that, for all the buttons corresponding to items (input, effects, amplifier, cab, master, etc.) of the signal path (and in a certain sense this is true also for [SYSTEM] and [QUICK]), there is one "simple" function (like to toggle on and off a switch) for which you just push the button. To enter the edit mode (the pages that allow the edition of the parameters relative to the item), you hold the button.

However, the [RIG] button is the exception to this paradigm : if you hold it, you just toggle on/off the fact that the current rig is a favourite, and you need to "just" push it to enter the edit mode. I find this very confusing, and most of the time, I invert these two operations, and I flag the current rig as favourite (or not) while I want to edit it, and vice versa.

So, my request is : wouldn't it be more logical to have the [RIG] button obey the general Push/Hold paradigm, rather than be the sole button that work the inverse way ? Could this correction be implemented in a future FW ?

Regards.

J. Jacques.

PS: I know there is currently no simple "Push" function associated to the [INPUT], [MASTER] and [SYSTEM] button, but holding these buttons allows to enter the edit mode, so I'm satisfied with the way they work.

it would be great for me to be able to clear the whole name in one shot by pressing and holding the clear button.michael

I completely agree with that.
    It could be nice, also, when using the "Character" knob to select a letter, that turning the knob fully to the right send the cursor to the first left position, and turning the knob fully to the left send the cursor to the rightmost position. Each time I change a name, I get the (possibly wrong) impression that I would save time if this feature was available. Then again, it's just a really small feature. :whistling:

Also, a "Cancel" soft button, with the "Insert", "Clear", and "Done", would be nice to exit the edit mode without changing the Tag content (the [EXIT] button does a save).

Regards.

J. Jacques.

or turn "autoload off" when you are navigating blindly through hundreds of rigs?

Or "don't use your KPA" ? LOL. Thanks for the help :D

This ended in a Software Error : dsprxbufferfull ../arm/dsp/dsp.c line 421
    (took the picture, but has no web site here to host it, neither have any support email to send them).

Well, the problem seems clear...

J.Jacques.

Just found a "feature" with 1.5.1 -- I don't remember is this already existed in previous FW. When using the BROWSE knob, with Autoload set, and turning quickly the knob (because I know the rig I am looking for is hundreds of positions away -- like I'm on "Rocker Dirty" and I want to load "AC Clean R121") the screen seems to freeze, while the Kemper is clearly loading, one after another, all the intermediate rigs (you can tell this by seing all the leds around the knobs and in the upper panel changing very rapidely). It seems that the priority is given to the function of loading the rig, rather than displaying the names of the rigs I am browsing. This takes time, I don't know which is the current rig, so I stop turning, I wait, I try again, and so on. Of course, I would consider much more natural the other way -- first, I browse, and when I have selected a rig (like : I haven't turned the knob for a half second), this one is loaded...

So, my request : in a future FW, could browsing have priority over loading ?

Regards.

J. Jacques.

If I'm not completey dumb that is just a communication controller for the ethernet and the USB....The DSP should be mounted on the other fixed tray at the side (underneath). AFAIK it should be a dual core Motorola one....somebody tell me if I'm wrong...

Yes, certainely.

As most systems of this type (like, for those who knew it, the Soundart Chameleon, a great device in its time), the Kemper is clearly an association of a DSP, which takes care of generating the sound that you hear, and nothing else, and a microcontroller (like here the LPC2468 ) which takes care of managing the user interface (leds, buttons and knobs), the kipr files, and some of the I/O plugs, and dynamically reconfigures the DSP. The LPC2468 has probably no problem managing the user interface, so upgrading to "better" algorithms and more features is possibly just a matter of replacing the current DSP by a more powerful one (with all the compatibility issues that will occur...).

(just my $0.02)

J. Jacques.

Hi, guys!

Updated from 1.5.0B to 1.5.1B without problems.
    I have 439 rigs - mainly the system rigs, but some that I profiled.

Installing the new KAOS from the USB key took about 20".

First reboot took 2' 20", with various messages (updating front panel resources, tuning storage, scanning sound data).

Then I restored the system rigs.

Second reboot, 1' 20".

Since that, every reboot takes about 1'.

No problem so far...

Best regards.

Yes, fretboardminer, you're right, it is an acceptable solution.
    Thanks for your answer.

(and BTW, I haven't played "Dizzy Miss Lizzy" for... dozens of years. I'll have to try that once again in my life :)

J. Jacques.

Hi!

I use the KPA at home with a pair of Behringer B2031A monitors, and I find the sound perfectly
    enjoyable.

My neighbour upstairs is a charming old lady (well, my age, actually), and from times to times,
    at night, she is hitting her floor (which is my ceiling, if you are following well my story). At first I
    thought she was trying to indicate the correct tempo, but after discussing with her, it was just that
    she thought I was playing too loud -- how stupid was I.

Of course, I now turn down the master volume as the clock approaches midnight, and my neighbour
    is happy. However, while the sound I get is excellent when the master volume is at 5.0 or 6.0, it
    becomes quite flat with a master volume set to 0.2 or 0.3 -- which is, as you know, due to the fact
    that the human ear's sensitivity changes at very low volume levels. So, each time I need to take a few
    minutes to tweek the main output EQ to "improve" my sound.

Now, 40 years ago, I had on my hi-fi systems a switch (loudness, or contour), that tried to compensate
    for this phenomenon by increasing the bass and treble volume, and this was much better than nothing.
    Unfortunately, there is rarely such a thing in modern Hi-Fi equipments, and I often think this
    feature is sorely lacking.

So my request is : could we have such a knob in the output section ? You could set this feature "on"
    or "off" ; and you could set the lower level at which it has no effect (like a master volume at 5.0 in
    my case), and of course the effect would increase as you turn down the main volume -- or the master
    volume when both are not linked.

I understand that this is not of a vital importance, but I think this could be a very welcome improvement
    for all us players in their room...

Best regards.

Jean-Jacques.

Yes, your're right...

I have in fact an internal web server that correctly displays the pictures, and a public web server that is supposed to be
    automatically updated every day - but in this case, this seems not to be working. I'll have to check that ASAP, which
    means tuesday. Might be the sizes of the pictures.

Thanks for pointing to the problem!

Regards.

Jean-Jacques.

Hi!

I had yesterday this strange phenomenon. After about half an hour of playing, I powered off the KPA by turning the chickenhead knob to the 'off' position. It started displaying "-- OFF --", then I did something else (like puting the guitar back in its case). One or two minutes later, while looking at the KPA, I found that everything was off, except the screen which was glowing with a dark pink color, and slightly pulsing. I should have taken a picture at that moment, but I just turned the knob to "Browse". The KPA booted correctly. No problem. Switched off again, and this time everything went off normally. So, no real inconvenience, it just happened once. I am using 1.1.1. I was just curious to know if someone had already seen that before...

Best regards.

Jean-Jacques.

Hi!

Just added a few profiles from a 2006 Kustom Coupé 36, recorded with a SM57, under the author name "J.J. G."
    Some pictures of the amplifier can be seen on my site.
    Best regards.

Jean-Jacques.