Posts by endlessnameless

Depending on needs, I don't think it's necessary to commit to the big boys, as long as you DO commit :) For somebody doing simple mixing, editing and recording, many of the smaller daws will work perfectly fine.

I agree that Harrison is a poor DAW for workflow. It also crashes a lot. BUT it is the best sound of any DAW I have used for mixdown.

So I do all my editing and automation in Ableton then I import my mix into Harrison as stem to add some tape compression and a bit of mastering EQ. I think it sounds really good. No matter what I do in Ableton with tape compression and mastering plugs such as Waves or Slate etc I can't get close to the open and warm sound that Harrison gives it with very little tweaking. Seriously I couldn't believe it myself.

If you think about it Harrison have more experience making consoles than other DAW makers so they have all that dithering and gain staging stuff sorted.

VMR is nice because everything is in one window rather than all over the place.

One thing I do find though is that using less plugins has actually improved my mixes to an extent. They can really take away the body from the pure recorded sounds if you pilea lot on - so I would use the VMR sparingly.

From what I've read, (which is plenty of late!!!) - the Kemper Community is split between extremely thrilled and inspired by the company's brilliant additions and responsiveness to user requests; and by pithy whining sots who can't seem to appreciate what brilliance the Kemper team imparts to all of us, at whatever timeframe suits them best, to use however we should choose or not to choose the updates they so freely give us. Be friggin' grateful and stop your Whining!

In conclusion, shut up and enjoy the most exciting period in guitar amplifier history, or just start your own company all you know it all's.

(just my humble opinion)

I think we have to be careful here and not paint everyone who isn't excited about morphing, or wants a bit more info about timeframes as some sort of cartoonish characters who are whining ungrateful babies.

I am sure there are some unreasonable comments on this forum - I have seen a few. But providing updates to functionality for free is something everyone is doing in this market to keep the user base engaged and build reputation and attract new buyers- so people have come to expect it. No business is a charity. And even when it isn't free (Eleven Rack updates for example) people are usually happy to pay for them. I would pay for the new delays in a shot. But Kemper has chosen not to charge for them.

So should we have some sort of ban on people who don't have any criticism? I love the unit and I will praise it where necessary. CK is clearly some sort of genius - the Kemper amp sounds amazing. But constructive feedback is an essential part of improving a product. I don't think 'BUT ITS FREE SHUT UP' is the best way of dealing with it -perhaps we just need a praise and a criticism thread so people aren't butting heads the whole time.

I went head to head with the Eventide Space vs. the Strymon BigSky, and the Eventide Timefactor vs. the Strymon Timeline. In both situations, the Strymon's were better. Not by much, but they had a little more tweakability/range, and their algorithms seemed a little more "smooth" whereas Eventide's seemed a bit "over the top."

Otherwise, Strymon has some algorithms that Eventide doesn't have, and vice versa. Eventide certainly excels in the harmonizer department, better than anything else out there, even to this day. I'd certainly go for an H9 if I needed an all-in-one box for the guitarist that doesn't use a lot of delay or reverb, but, for the Reverb or Delay heavy guitarist, I'd choose Strymon over Eventide any day.

Of course, it's all my personal opinion, and it makes me really, really excited to see what Kemper's doing with the delays. I'd love to see how they compare to the Timeline (and, for that matter, to the Timefactor).

Doug I suspect the Strymon sounds are better because of the dry through? A lot of people say the Eventide bypass adds a bit of digital crispness where as the Strymon sounds more natural due to the analog dry routing.

I would be interested in when the delays are actually arriving (is it in Feb?)- it's really not that clear. Very excited about this feature especially being able to move them about - means I can finally put my modulated reverb pedal in the fx loop and have the delay in front.

I think too many people fixate on gain as the only parameter worth changing on an amp (or Kemper rig) to get different tones/effect/sounds/atmosphere. Its not just clean vs. dirty that they are offering.

Agreed but I am not sure why I wouldn't just kick the reverb in rather than sweep it in smoothly. It only appears to be a useful function for transitions from part to part. Which doesn't seem that useful for me unless I am doing some ambient stuff - which would work nicely.

I use a TC Electronic Desktop Konnect 6 which is firewire. It doesn't have spdif but the Kemper sounds great into it through the analogue outs into the pres.

Maybe I am stupid but I don't see how the morphing feature is that different to rolling down your volume knob to alternate between clean and dirty, and how often will it be a better alternative to just simply switching channels.

I mean how often do you need to sweep between channels in a song? I can think of ambient atmospheric music perhaps - but practically you just kick in the distortion or delay or pitch shifter or whatever rather than a smooth leisurely sweep.

Rather than simplify things I think that adding yet another parameter to the mix just overcomplicates in my mind - I hope to be proved wrong but I can't get excited about it just yet.

Regarding the delays etc has there been an official announcement? Seems like it may not be coming this time around? Or are we being drip fed news?

Its quite mind boggling that looking for reviews over the net for this product it has almost a perfect score everywhere and even on amazon with hundreds of reviews no one has said anything about the headphone output being lacking.

Well for the price the Scarlett USBs are perfectly fine. But when you have a pro piece of audio hardware going through it like the Kemper you soon realise the issues with the fidelity. Lets face it these interfaces are not marketed at the top of the range. My experience with the Saffire range has been this exact thing - the headphone outputs are just 'ok' but they are not as 3D as other interfaces.

I have had many years experience with Focusrite interfaces. Their headphone outputs are poor in my opinion - I believe there is some sort of digital gain staging going on and the output is weak and two dimensional. I remember contacting Focusrite and they explained there is some sort of reason they have a weak output. I compare it to my TC Desktop Konneckt and the difference is night and day.

One thing I will say is if you want a really quality interface I would probably steer clear of Focusrite - they are just 'OK' interfaces IMHO -I think the build quality is poor (noisey crackly knobs after a while) and the mixer software confusing. I also have an ISA One which has been replaced twice for noise issues.

Focusrite customer services are very good mind.

Another fan of the Nexus - I love it too - can't believe that they stopped making them - really a great unit. I find it sounds better after the Kemper rather than in the FX loop of the Kemper - I think the FX loop seems to dull the sound a bit of some FX units.

As far as Kemper FX are concerned - the RAT OD is pretty good actually. My real rat is slightly better but not by much. The Kemper Muff isn't great.

Kemper Chorus is pretty good but quite 'hi -fi' sounding. My Small Clone is much warmer.

Kemper Flanger is good and pitch shift FX is very nice. Delays and reverbs are OK. Wish the delays had easier parameters to set them up how I like. The current parameters are hard to tweak.

This isn't really about 'warranty' coverage. It's a myth. In Europe you get rights about goods lasting a reasonable time. In this case the Kemper screen shouldn't go like that within a few years if used properly. This is an expensive bit of hardware, not a pocket calculator.

Your contract is with the dealer, but it isn't relevant what warranty they gave you - ultimately if the goods are not of satisfactory quality then you are entitled to a repair at their expense.

Hello all,

I have BFD2 which sounds very realistic. But I find that programming is very tedious. I was thinking of getting a Mac for Drummer and Logic. Drummer appeals to me because of the 'follow' feature and the simplicity of not programming every hit but having a human feel.

Can I use Drummer to drive BFD2 as a sample engine? Also thoughts on Drummer specifically for my purposes are welcome.

Thanks
    Mark

What can I say that hasn't already been said - TAF profiles are amongst my very favourites and the ones I generally use all the time now - Andy you are clearly a very talented individual - it is an art and a skill to create such wonderful profiles and I wish you the best of luck in your future ventures. I look forward to purchasing more profiles from your site as time goes on - like a good amp they are timeless.

Made this video today playing the Helix alongside the Kemper with similar amp profiles/models for those interested.
    Enjoy

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Thank you for this SteelGuitars - I watched it this morning - it was something I had been waiting to see. From what I can hear the Helix sounds very nice - especially clean where I could barely tell the difference. With high gain I think the Kemper sounds more natural (less plastic top end) but the Helix is very respectable.

I would love to hear more - especially clean to mildly overdriven fenders compared - thanks.

Also how do the FX compare to the Kemper?