Posts by endlessnameless

I think Gary W summed it up really.

While I understand the reason for certain special ideas being a secret. I also think that confirming they are working on say 'an editor' or 'better/more delays', 'more flexible routing' or 'spring reverb' doesn't really give much away.

I think reasonable people only get annoyed if you break a deadline - but at this stage all this lack of news is just as frustrating.

I thought I wouldn't even be thinking about alternative products - but Helix is looking nice now - help!!

I love my Kemper but I wish it had certain additional features. Many of these a lot of us want. I am hanging on for these possibilities. But I am also considering alternative products.

Sometimes I wonder why firmware updates are shrouded in secrecy. I guess certain companies don't want to let people down if the features get canned. But it would certainly help the itch I have when looking at the rest of the market.

Hi all,

I booted up the Kemper yesterday and the profile sounded strange - sort of hollow and phasey. No FX on or anything. I turned the dial to select another amp, then went back to the original profile and all was fine.

I recall that there was a big issue with the sound of profiles going strange, which would be remedied by turning to a different profile and back to the original. I think this temporary 'corruption' of the profile is still there, albeit to a lesser extent.

I have noticed that not all FX play nicely in the loop of the Kemper (they sound dull and muffled). But I generally run a delay and reverb after the Kemper.

I recently dusted off my old Magicstomp and put it in the loop - the delays and verbs in that can compete with the best.

............ and what fx do you prefer to farm out to external pedals? As it stands at the moment, as much as I love the Kemper, there are certain FX types that I prefer coming from pedals. I thought the Kemper reverb wasn't too bad, until I placed my trusty TCE Hall of Fame in the chain. The difference was like chalk and cheese. Suffice to say, the HoF is now a permanent fixture. I've also struggled to get a decent, thick 80's-type flanger sound out of the toaster, although that might be down to my own ineptitude. Chorus is another effect that I'm struggling with. Try as I might, I can not get a really thick Andy Summers' type sound at all. And, lastly, the obvious one, delays. I'm currently debating whether or not to buy a Strymon Timeline to cover that area of things, or maybe holding fire to see what the next update brings. Ideally, I wanted the KPA to handle all of my sound, but am thinking this to be a tad overly optimistic.

What pedals (if any) are you lot using to supplement your Kemper sounds?

Yes, I had heard the rumours. That's why the Timeline hasn't been bought yet. Just in case ;)

Care to share? My take is this:

Drives - very good models in the Kemper such as the Rat BUT I still prefer my analog drives in most cases.

Chorus - mainly use my small clone - warmer than the chorus in the Kemper

Pitch Shifter - I use the Kemper

Reverb and Delay - I use external units. The Kemper misses advanced reverb like modulated. I also find the delay is good but isn't very warm and the parameters are baffling. Why not have stomp like controls and different delay types like tape/digital/analog etc?

Sorry, it's once again me, but here we have what @DonPetersen mentioned.

While it is relatively straightforward to capture Direct Preamp Profiles from line-level outputs of bass amps, or the send outputs of preamps, capturing them from tube-amps that include the power tube section is a bit more challenging. It requires you to tap the sound where it is about to hit the speaker cabinet. This tap is the speaker out- put, where high voltage and high wattage occur, meaning you will need a dedicated DI box for this purpose. This specialized DI box is capable of scaling down the voltage to a line-level signal, suitable for the Profiler, on a XLR output jack. The high-power signal is forwarded to the speaker cabinet through a different output jack.

I would like to profile my Plexi again which is not possible, because it sounds good only at INSANE volume and i do have neighbours. And i do not want to buy a DI box only to profile ONE amp and then sell it on ebay for half the price. or can you recommend a cheaper solution? I do have - nevertheless - an
    ARTcessoires DT Dual Transformer but this will be of no great help here?

Can't you hire a rehearsal room locally for an hour or two?

Thanks for the updates. I was under the impression that FX wise the Helix would have much more choice than the Kemper - for example modulated verbs and different delays like on the DL4 (like specific tape delays etc). Is this the case? Also how are the drive models? The ones in the M9 weren't great.

My wife is very good and doesn't question my gear purchases. However...the problem can be making time for her vs playing with my gear. She doesn't like it if I leave her sitting on her own all night!

I suggested a defined 'music time' in the week so she knows exactly when she will see me next! ;)

Anyone with kids? I need hints on how to balance that one vs music time shortly...;) Get the kid playing guitar early!

Oh yes, they are ! Actually they gave exclusiveness to G66, you can't buy the axe from any other place like, say, Thomann.
    Even if you want to order the Axe from their US online shop, andyou are ready to pay the customs taxes (which would make it still much less than the G66 price), you can't.
    That's the number one reason why I didn't consider purchasing an axe. I don't regret my choice.

To be fair G66 are an amazing company - they really look after you even if you don't end up keeping the product.

And yes this is not a joke - Andy and I (and maybe others) got some problems.

I talked with some manufatores and they claim currently preparing sone legal actions against profile sellers.

The latest changes on my website seams to be fine for all manufactores.

I don't think anyone thought this was a joke but glad to hear that your changes are acceptable to them. I was just trying to explain that you may be getting bullied for no good reason.

Its a big difference selling something - eg music and explaining what kind of gear you have used or to sell something and use the name of the gear.

You would get the same problem when you call your song "Mesa Boogie MK V Song"

Armin - with all due respect I think you are missing the point of the prior posts. The point is that you may not have to go as far as using silly acronyms or pig latin names to describe profiles if you are simply using the name in a sensible manner. You can say the word Marshall or Fender if you are not using it as a trademark. Context is everything.

The example of describing mics or gear to create a record is relevant and applicable. It illustrates that there may be no actual trademark infringement if a trademark is not used as a 'badge of origin' or likely to confuse the consumer into thinking that the product is endorsed by the amp manufacturer.

Your example of calling it Mesa Boogie Mk V song - is probably the same as calling something 'Fender Pack'. This could arguably (in absence of any other explanation) cause confusion that the product originates from the manufacturers. However, if you stated 'A collection of Profiles of Fender Amps Vol 1' and included an explanation that you used Fender Amps to create profiles but the profiles are not endorsed or associated by Fender - I don't see how you are infringing a trademark - you are describing what equipment you used to create an impulse response/EQ curve.

Having too many options doesn't guarantee satisfaction. AT Line 6 they insist on making products that do too many things when in the end of the day there's a relatively large market for products that focus on one thing. Look how many are buying Kemper mainly for good tube amp sounds. Imagine if line 6 can make a product focused on Modeling at 1/3rd of the price.

I would have been interested in a products that focused on modeling, but when I saw everything included in the Helix (including the kitchen sink :D ), I bought the KPA. I'm sure some might think they need all these things included but, six input/outputs audio interface, controller . mic pre and phantom power... and the exhausting list goes on and on, I already have most if not all that it has and don't desire to combine them all in one package.

Yeah I kind of think that the more things they have in there the more compromised each would be. The preamps are unlikely to be stellar.