Posts by djazz

Timo, I'm still getting the bug "suddenly in tuner mode" and "suddenly goes silent". I set the pedals to off and it goes away, but if you are saying that it got fixed in 2.1.0 via learned pedal behavior, I'm saying it's still there as I am at 2.1.1.8823 Perhaps I am misunderstanding your post regarding "2.0.1 changed the learning behaviour of the pedals a bit, as a result, it is possible that an empty pedal connector ("no pedal connected") could cause MIDI Volume set to 0 in awkward situations. This is fixed in version 2.1.0."??

I should be able to select all preformances within a bank by just sending PC#:

Did anybody do this with success?

I was able to be successful with an older DMC Ground Control V1. I went into the programming of the DMC and assigned Bank1/Switch1 to PC#1 and it correctly selects Performance 1, slot 1. I did this for 11,12,13,14,15, 21, 22 . . . . . 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 etc. I am only using switches 1 -5 on the DMC and I use the Bank Switches to change from 11 to 33 etc.

It should be working fine, as it is for me. I'm not sure what your issue is, hopefully not a bug.

Another one that is missing is Tech 21. I used many other modelers but always had an issue with the clean sound. I've always searched for that nice warm Fenderish clean "tube" sound with some reverb added. The KPA is great that way. The Tech 21 Blonde Character Series along with a reverb pedal got a great warm clean sound and you could add other pedals with it to basically have a large pallet of tones without an amp. I A/B'd my mic'd Blues Junior through a P.A. with the Tech 21 set-up and was happy enough not to bring the amp. However, the KPA is so much simpler that I sold everything that I had.

Did anyone else have an issue with the clean sounds of other modelers?

By the way, 6 ticks for me plus the Tech 21 and Johnson modelers . . . . so this is also a dream come true for me as well.

As a jazz player, I use clean sounds mostly. There are many great profiles out there of clean amps, everything from Fenders, the Gibson Goldie, the Henriksen jazz amp etc.. and they sound great as is, but can be tweaked to your liking. What I've found is that changing the cabinet gets me what I want. The Tills Cabinets (TILL SCHLEICHER on the rig exchange for cabinets only) can be downloaded if you don't already have them. Try a bunch of them with your tube amp profile and you'll notice a big difference. I'm not as involved with all this as many others are on the forum, and I don't quite understand it, but once I found these cabinets it really got me the sound I was looking for. I think there is another thread that talks about how most of the tone in a clean sound comes from the cabinet because there is no distortion to profile.

Dave

I've got a stereo cable coming off of the FS-6 going to the KPA. I set the Pedal 1 to "Switch (Stereo) Stomp A/B", but it only turns on/off Stomp A. The B switch isn't working. What am I doing wrong? The polarity and mode switches on the FS-6 are set the same.

I couldn't find a profile of this pedal, so I thought some of you might be interested. All I had was a Blues Junior, but the amp was set Clean and the distortion is coming from the Plimsoul with it's unique sustain characteristics. Hopefully some might like this.

Rick:
    I'm a jazz player. I posted a nice jazz tone using one of the purchased profiles of a jazz modded Deluxe, and it sounds good for jazz as do many of the cleans with various cabinets: http://soundcloud.com/dking_jazz/4-deluxe-clean-djazz There is some good advice here, if you just need one sound, an amp may be fine for local jazz gigs. I like the KPA because of effects as well, I often use delay and reverb with my tone trying to get a sound like Metheny or Abercrombie or Adam Rogers etc. I'm more of a modern jazz player so I like the variety and I do use some drive for the Scofield or McLaughlin sound. With the KPA, I feel it's all I'll ever need, especially as they add things like a looper etc.. I think McLaughlin uses an Apple laptop, and he was using a ZenDrive and some tube pedal as a preamp, but I would think we'll see him using this someday. I'm surprised he's not already. The portability and recording aspects are awesome. Of course, you'll need a PA. I use Bose L1 system with a B2 bass module and it sounds awesome but I still keep a Blues Junior and even a Nifty Fifty for simple gigs where I won't carry all the Bose stuff. With the Bose, I can mic the bass player and some of the drums and we get a great mix for a small jazz group. Lately my bass player doesn't even bring an amp, he plugs into the Bose. So, it all depends on your objectives.

Dave

Hi Pierre:

I don't have an EJ rig to share, I'm still working things out myself. But the possibilities are endless, especially as Kemper releases new features. You can get there if you take the time to understand how he gets those tones. I use them for inspiration and as a guideline. For example, EJ uses an Echoplex, Deluxe Memory Man, Tube Screamer, Fuzz Face, TC Electronic Chorus, Red Compressor, Marshall etc. all of which are profiled or somewhat available within the KPA. Same goes for Bonamassa's gear (so we don't get too far off topic). Browse around the internet and get info on their rigs, then try to get the sound you are looking for:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forum…s-close-up-pics-more.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djya0Ii04D0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys2Svvkpzd4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZianLF_jUf0

For example, for that signature clean sound, pick a nice clean Fender profile. Create a Memory Man style patch similar to his using an Analog Delay perhaps (notice the settings on his memory man, but use your ears), then add a Chorus (his TC sounds can be done within the KPA). Of course played on a strat sounds closest. Listen to the videos and I think you can get very close.

Dave

I'm more of a jazz player in favor of John McLaughlin, Metheny, Scofield etc., but I heard of JB a few years ago and I do enjoy his playing and as mentioned his singing. He also has great compositional ideas. I can play this when I'm with my wife or friends and they like it. If I put on my other stuff, they tell me to change the music. Like some others on this forum, I play rock/variety gigs as a one man band with backing tracks as well as occasionally jazz gigs. Where I'm from, playing jazz doesn't pay too well anymore. I was using an amp and effects set-up that I created after seeing Eric Johnson's and Joe Bonamassa's set-ups. Tons of stuff to haul around making the price I'd play for higher. I've since sold most all of that gear. All I use is the KPA and it sounds as good or better in my opinion. I wonder if we'll see these guys doing the same? I saw Eric Johnson in Vail, Colorado at a small club and he had his whole arsenal with him, buzzing away at times with his tech trying to isolate the problem. That's a lot of gear and complications to worry about to make a buck. Also, I keep wondering when we'll see John McLaughlin using one of these. It's a much better solution than his laptop set-up, except he likes the synths there as well. With Bonamassa and Johnson, it could be an endorsement thing.

Maybe this has already been discussed and maybe it shouldn't be discussed, but I wonder if Apple would ever offer Kemper a deal to make the KPA a part of Logic Studio, replacing Amp Designer Pro? I had used Emagic Logic for years before Apple bought them out. It started as a sequencer and then with technology I couldn't believe how it made hardware more and more obsolete with soft synths, convolution reverb, and the ability to record digitally to the computer vs. analog tape. I would think that the Emagic guys made quite a bit of money on that deal. Apple seems to buy up technology in many of their apps to put them ahead of the competition and I could see them buying the KPA technology as a plug-in as well, so they'd have the best guitar amp simulator/profiler solution available in a music production software application. I'm not sure if there is anything in the KPA hardware that isn't in a computer already to make this possible? Of course we'd still need the hardware version for gigging, or bring a laptop. Pro Tools could do this as well to get a jump on Apple and let Apple partner with Axe-FX. Just wondering what the future will bring, because with the KPA, who would ever look at Guitar Amp Pro again. They may as well delete it from the software.

I will do some more test. Probably I need to improve my refining process.

I downloaded the Velocette 10 335 profile (are there others?) and I don't get a clean tone, I get a slightly dirty tone, still good for single note lines, but not very clean. Is this because I'm using a PRS with Humbuckers (would have thought it would be similar to Les Paul or 335), or was there person who said above they liked the Velocette as a clean profile likes a certain amount of dirty in the clean. They also mentioned the HH#Lancer-Cln. profile I donwloaded it and it is truely a clean profile. No break-up at all with the PRS. Help me with what I'm missing with the Velocette being a great "clean" profile, maybe I'm doing something wrong here.

Thanks.

Thanks guys, I'm pretty sure that's related to having a lot of rigs, I had already cut down from over 2800 to less then 2000.. :) Hopefully will get it running again later today when I get to the studio.

If you can't get it working soon, just go to Guitar Center and buy 30 or 40 different amps and that should hold you off till you get 'er working again.

It doesn't sound like the AG Stomp will do that with the features described. I can see why you'd want it, to minimize what you need to bring to a gig? The GR-55 did some of this but via the modeling tone using the GK pickup and you can't profile it. Sorry, I'm no help here. I guess we have to bring a nylon to the gig still.

Yamaha AG Stomp Features:

[list]
    [*]Acoustic Microphone Modeling
    [*]8 Microphone Types (Close and Distant)
    [*]Mono and Stereo Mic Setting
    [*]4-Band Parametric EQ
    [*]5-Band Feedback Reduction System
    [*]Blend Control
    [*]Limiter, 4-Band Stereo Chorus, Delay, 3 Reverbs
    [*]Phantom Battery Power
    [*]Tuner
    [*]Digital Output
    [*]Headphone Output
    [*]3 Built-in Footswitches

I got the same error when trying to do the computer deletion process. I put the USB back to original back-up and then tried the process again. I think I hit a button on the KPA during the process instead of waiting and got the error. If you are patient and wait, you don't ge the error. I can't recall all the details, but it seemed like I was trying to hit the exit button to see the rigs, but did that too soon and got the error.