Posts by allright

Maybe usefull for somebody...

Still not completely satisfied with the DXR's specially on live sound volume... >80db.
    Very good speakers, but the good sound of the KPA with Yamaha's studiomonitor HSxx series or headphones are much more better.
    So there must be some a little problem in the frequence spectrum from the KPA output through the DXR's.
    By the way no difference in sound between the xlr or jack inputs, only a little bit volume difference.

About 10% of the RM clean profiles where usefull for me and > 90% off the crunch/lead profiles were to bassy/honky sounded.
    I tried everything I read on this forum to resolve the problem, but I found only a few things which were usefull.

It works for me for all sounds: clean/crunch/lead.
    Make it more like amp in the room sound en sound better in the live mix:

- turn noise gate to zero (I allways turn of the noise gate and when needed put in an stompbox gate 2:1 (threshold between 2 and 3)
    - change the cab (look in the RM for author "LOR" and save the cabs: 1on-pres5 / 2off-pres5 / s-pres8 / 2off-pres8 )
    - Definition (change to your choice, mostly between 5-8 )

Still too honky / bassy, put in an slot:
    - studio EQ (LF: -3/-6db between 80-300hz, HF: -3/-6b (6-8Khz,, MF: +/- 3db between 400-1200Hz, qfactor >1 up to your choice)

The studio EQ solve most the problems because it cleans up al the bassy/muddy stuf. Put it between -3/-6 db, start about 80Hz and
    turn it slowly up until the lower notes sound equal in volume with the mids and highs).
    Too much high (specially with spdif live) do the same with the High Filter start ad 6Khz en turn it up until it still not hurt your ears.
    With the studio EQ I can use most of the profiles now which were un-useable before, even all the boomy Mesa profiles.
    I put and lock the SEQ in slot X gate 2.1 in slot D

Maybe there are better cabs, but for until now this cabs works for me.
    And thanks to the author:LOR for the cabs.

Tip: tweak only live profiles on huge volume :)

Good luck.
    Gr. Peter.

Guitars: VGS-EMG passive single and VGS-EMG passive bumbuckers.
    Monitor: Yamaha DXR10
    PA: Yamaha DXR12 (for small clubs).
    Mixer: Motu Ultra

Hallo Djuhntt,

I read everywhere the yamaha's are ok and even the dxr10 is a little bit better then the dxr12. So i bought a few days ago an dxr10, just for reference to the dxr12.
    I must say the dxr10 sounds a little bit better, some say more like an guitar cab, i would say the have a little bit more flat eq. Otherwise all my home made presets i turn the bass (in the cab or eq in slot x) a little bit down. In the rehearsal room i missed the bass and have to turn it on, specially when you stand about 10m or more from the dxr12's. I have not yet tested this with the dxr10.
    Further i think that most profiles with more gain not sound well with the yamaha's. So when an (new downloaded) profile sound a little bit ok, i change the cab to de buma mesa or bogner barcelone. When one of this cabs make it sound better i saved the profile.
    I found out that even bad sounding profiles with these bogner/mesa cabs (in combination with the yamaha's) can sound ok.
    The other way is possible to, an not good sounding profile can have an good cab (for the yamaha's). The Bogner barcelona profile works not good with the yamaha's for me, but the cab in the bogner barcelona profile is ok (by the way the cab is named bogner barcelona too).
    Yesterday i found another good sounding cab for the yamahas, the 5110II v30 from GRStudios.
    With many profiles the sounds blows out of the speakers, they cannot be tamed, sounded like some people say, if there is an blanked over the speaker. With the
    Buma/Bogner/5150 cab most profiles can be tamed and then the profile is useable for me for live sound.
    By the way i now use standaard main/monitor out -6db and master 0 db and the use the gain/volume knob on the yamaha's. -6db for going FOH mixer works well. Monitor- and mainoutput eq both flat. Input sense always arond zero. "Definition" under the amp section always 5 or higher brings the sound to life.
    But... it is not yet as good what i hear on the headphone output from the Kemper compare to the yamaha's on the monitor- or main output. With an headphone many profiles sound ok. So my searching is still going on.
    Gr. Peter.

After about 4 mounth searching for a good sound, try an Bogner Barcelona cab or an Buma Mesa cab special for high gain live sound. Maybe there are better cabs, but for the time being ... Not forget to put the noice gate to zero and sometimes put the low shift under cabinet sim between -0.3/-1.0. Mostly clean and distortion sense to zero. If an (high gain) profile not sound good (muffed) with those cabs (al eq to zero as starting point and noise gate to zero) then for me the profile(s) is useless for live. I think much better then put an EQ in whatever slot.
    Setup: VGS guitar with passief coils -> Kemper toaster non power, main output xlr (flat eq) -> 2 x DXR (xlr input, gain 12 o'clock, line select, dsp off, hpf off).
    And off course FCB1010 uno.
    Now it's time for order an spare Kemper rackmodel.
    There is u huge huge huge difference between sleepingroom profiles, recording profiles and live profiles. And with live profiles i mean profiles on (huge) volume
    which cut thrue the mix and which sound good for guitar intro's.

Hola Greenblob,

I translate my Dutch straight to English, that's why name it sleepingroom volume.
    But for sure there is a lot of difference between single guitar sound and let's name it in the band sound.
    Now i like the FRFR way of playing, because in front of the speakers the sounds is almost everywhere the same, especially for the audience.

By the way the Mo Joe's are "middle hot" pickups and can be split coil to single coil, maybe that's the reason why the sound ok with the Ibanez, they sound very
    like Fender coils. As i said i tried a LP VOS gold with P90's but it was not better than the Ibanez. I have an (100 euro) Suzuki gitaar that sound even ok with the Kemper. Tomorrow is friday, that's my kemper day. I go through a few hundreds presets and at evening go drink a few Heineken's and talk about music with some friend. So trying again to convinced everybody into a Kemper, tralala...

Adios Allright.

Haha Waraba,

Your story looks very like mine perception.
    And now finally i find out an good sound it is an combination of things.
    I had to knew this a long time because i owned for a long time an studio and livestage.
    For guitarsound now i found the combination that's satisfied me.
    JS100 +Kemper+DXR, it's not yet an 10, but certain an 8 (with certain profiles)
    The coming week i gonna try different guitars from cheap until expensive.
    And try a lot of profiles (and keep only the ones that sound immediatly good without changing to much).
    Later then finetuning these presets and go on stage again.

Gr. Peter.

Hallo And44,

By the way i think i bought your profile pack (pack 5 i think) so i gonna dig them later this week.

And yes everything is an learning curve.
    For me i do that always by excluding things, using different kabels, aks many people how things sound, trying different in- and outputs etc.
    The only thing i did not do in the last few months was playing with an good guitar through the Kemper and the DXR's (and other PA's)
    Other wise i knew months ago what i now know.

Greetings,
    Peter.

After more then six months my Kemper now sound excellent.

Is this a long story: yes, too long then only read the last few lines.

On my Asian 1 mounth holiday, Oktober 2012, I heard about the Kemper, read as many as possible, look any Youtubes and decided from my vacation address to order an Kemper on the internet.

So after holiday when I arrived at home there was my big surprise.I played about 2 days with the Kemper, changes many settings, downloaded many profiles, but the sound: nothing special. I had the same with the Eleven Rack (wich I gave away after 5 mounths). Even before I was never satisfied with my JVM205c, Crate amp, Valvetronix AD120vtx, Class 5, Bulk Sonica, Blues Junior/Deluxe, Hotrod?s, H&K etc. I always spend money about amps, but always try to play the cheap guitars (wood is wood and strings are strings). My latest cheap guitar is an Ibanez JS100. Oktober 2012 I changed the stock elements with Dimarzios Mo Joe's ans Elixer strings. Sound a little bit better but not special, did a few gigs and nobody complained, so?

How did the Kemper sound with the JS100: it sound bad, like somebody say if there was a blanket in front of my speakers, it sound hollow, too many bass, harsh, to much high etc. I downloades hundreds of profiles from the library, tried the stock profiles. Only 5% of all the profiles sound a little bit ok, the rest was unusefull. Allways started with all effect off, onlyÿamp, eq, cabs.Changed: cabs, changed clean/distorted setting, volumes before and after the amp. Nothing works well.

I read the last months more then 100 treats, trying to get my sound alright. Take it to the rehearsal room, tried it with different PA'ss, tried it direct into tubes heads, combo's, transistor amps (in the front, in de fx-returns, direct in the power section). Of course with cabs on and off, with monitor out, master out (xlr/trs). Very far away I could hear the potential of the Kemper, but the magic keep stuck deep away.

I read everything on the forum about (active) monitors. Read about the JBL's, RCF's, Yamaha's, EV's etc.

At home I have an Dynacord powermade 800 and 4 x EV-Z90's + 2 subs. Tried everything on the Powermate: mic-in, trs-in (stereo), poweramp-in etc. in combination with Kemper: monitor out, master out (xlr, trs), tried all possible combinations, to exclude what course the bad sound. Of course tried many (type) EQ is many stomp positions, changed in the amp-sections all settings, only clarity give a little bit better sound. Changed the master- out and monitor-out EQ, changed cabs setting. Tried an Crown 1500xls with the EV's and with some guitarcabs: it not sound good.

Read again many stuff on the Kemper forum about PA and monitors and decided to buy 2 x Yamaha DXR12. There was not a big different in sound between using de xlr/trs on the DXR, only volume wise. With the new DXR's a little bit better sound than the (passive) EV-Z90, but nothing magic.
    Read treats about how guitars influence your Kemper sound, read about what CK writes about the better sound with better guitars. I am from Holland so I think bla bla bla?. (why expensive when you can do it cheap)

Maybe I bought an Kemper with bad AD-DA converters or other problems (I had 1 problem with the Eleven Rack). Changed to older OS, did some factory resets, (init) flash memories etc. No better result.

Did an small gig straight in de DXR12's as FOH and the sound was ok, not special because it fits in with the voice, drums and bass (take all bass on the Kemper out under 100Hz). The Kemper not sound special but it sound ok. So everybody (drum, bass. Voice, guitar) into the small Dynacord Powermade 800 and the trs master-out from the Powemate to the xlr-in from the DXR.

Another gig with a bigger Dynacord PA was also ok, Kemper xlr-out straight to the FOH and Kemper monitor-out to 2 x DXR12. And here the same, the Kemper sound ok (fits in the total sound) but nothing magic. Some college musicians say the guitar sound good, but for me not special.

In both gigs I had to finetune my live-direkt-PA sound during the first 4 songs, because making a sound on sleepingroom volume is something else than stage-sound or direct PA-sound. Later at home I played my "live sound" presets and they sound horrible.

Sometimes a stock profile did work well ( 6 on the scale from 1-10), but never better than an 6. Those few profiles (about 10) with an scale:6 I used live.

Every weekend I tried different settings and finally I take the Kemper to a friend with Protools 9 and Yamaha H50 studiomonitors. And there a little bit of magic comes . I play with his (more expensive) guitars (Les Pauls, Fender customs etc.) an yes the sound was getting better. With my JS100 over his Yamaha?s H50 the sound was better then at my home, especially when I brought the Mo Joe's more up to the strings.

Back home (JS100-Kemper-DXR12) tried again everything and the little big magic was gone.So I thought my DXR are not flat (EQ) enough?

I already told my friend for many months that I had something special and they can sell (most of) their tube amps, (like I did) because the Kemper is the solution. But last months I was thinking about selling my Kemper, because the sound was nothing special. But how I could sell (or give away) my Kemper while I said to all my guitar friends for months they have to sell an Kemper (because so many people on the forum or youtube are veryÿsatisfied with the Kemper). So I decided to keep the Kemper and buy some "professional profiles", especially Marshall Plexi professional profiles, because all plexi profiles hurt my ears (harsh). With these professional profiles deep deep deep away I could hear the "magic" glassy sound of the professional profiles, but not with the JS100-Kemper-DXR12.

I had 2 more new Dimarzio Mo Joe's and I decide to build them in an cheap Squire stagemaster. I read the wiring diagram and placed the element, skipping the potentalmeters etc., so straight from the element to the guitar-output jack. Re-used the, I think, 5 year old strings, plugged into the Kemper and DXR and: YES it good quite sound. I had all elements wiring outsidethe guitar, so I could change quickly single spool to humbucker and vice versa, could change polarities etc. Sometimes when changing polarities (red,black, white and green wires) the good sound was gone. And then I remembered something?

And what was the problem: my elementsÿin the cheap JS100. I did put the bridge pickup in the wrong direction (oktober/november 2012). I tested it with turning the bridge Mo Joe pickup (90 degrees). The pickups where probably out of fase and now the polarity between the pickups are ok.

Why dit I not mentioned a good sound with some other of my guitars? Because they have not good sounding elements (quite normal on cheap guitars). But any cheap guitar with good elements can sound good with the Kemper (JS100). And did an expensive Les Paul (euro 3200) soundÿdirectly good with the Kemper. Not always, I tested an cheaper? LP (euro 1800) and it sound better with most stock profiles. Problbly it is an combination of quitar + element(s) + Kemper.

No no it must be: guitar + element(s) + profile(s), because the Kemper is out of question.

Conclusion1: the MAGIC is coming?.. The searching is not over I gonna test with many other guitars (friends) and profiles (i have to go through about 800 profiles again) to find some good combinations.
    Conclusion2: not good sound? It can never be the kemper?..
    My problem were the elements on my guitar.