Posts by lightbox

But your profiling a guitar rig right?

As far as I understand, I only profile part of a guitar rig. For example time based effects won't get profiled.
    And what I tried to point out is the fact that the result of the profiling process is only part of what is stored in a Kemper Profiler Rig.

... the meticulously painstaking process of supervision and super-supervision and re-revisors at wikipedia.org ...

Yes, something we should be able to avoid in our Wiki. It's just not as big as Wikipedia and generally the folks here are very different to some of Wikipedia's watch dogs. :)

Talking about watch dogs:
    If you create a new page on wikpa.org, please make sure to add it to the main category by adding the following markup at the very end of the page:

Code
    [[Category:Main]]

We can add more than one category to each page, but if we agree on this main category on every single page, it's very easy to export / transfer the whole wikpa content to another Wiki system or to make simple backups of the content. :) I've already added the above category to all existing pages.

Thanks,
    Martin

But I guess after many more FW generations updating older, obsolete entries might turn into quite a gigantic work!

hehe, that might be true. CK already warned us when he said:
    "The sound of the Profiler will never change" .. he didn't mention anything else than the sound. :)
    We'll see how it turns out. Christoph already promised me that we will get support from the mothership if we manage to make it a great resource. I hope he meant active editing support where needed. :)

If the community or Lightbox ask us to host the wiki due to reasons of administrational efforts or costs, we'll be happy to do so.

And I certainly appreciate the offer, although we won't do it like this for now.
    I'll explain why:

Currently it's running on one of my servers and I have direct access to all components of the Wiki system. I can do updates, backups, setup extensions, configure the whole system easily. And I'm responsible for what I do. I can handle potential risks easily and I have full control of what's going on.

This situation would change completely if it's hosted on another company's server. Even if they setup a dedicated server only for the Wiki because this way there would be no direct and indirect connection to any kind of sensible data. It would still be difficult to give me the necessary administration rights without an agreement on legal liability etc. Everybody knows that no software is free of bugs or security issues. Even if you try your best to prevent security issues, there will always be some left or some new appear. I want to be able to add functionality to the Wiki if needed without a lengthy security audit process or lengthy communication. Now I can and this makes it very easy for me to maintain the site and the Mediawiki system.

Another scenario would be to completely hand over the responsibility and administration of the Wiki to Kemper GmbH. I'm not so sure if this would be a good choice for now. They are a small company with very limited resources. I can't imagine right now that they can dedicate one employee to take care of the forum and the wiki and the rig exchange full time. Everything you publish on the web that is community related needs a lot of care and time. You have to be part of it, somehow. Otherwise you'll quickly loose contact and miss user requests, bug reports, other system flaws that should get fixed to make it a nice and streamlined experience for everyone.
    Don't get me wrong, they're trying their best and the existance of the Forum is great, no question. But since I am VERY experienced in running forums, I notice many things that simple don't get the love they would need. I can't even blame them to hard because I know that they are packed with other important work. But still ... a complete and feature rich community system needs a lot of constant work. I don't want to add to the work load by throwing the Wiki system at them right now. :)

First of all we (the entire community) have to prove, that we actively use this Wiki system, otherwise it's a dead-end road anyway. ;)

Hope this makes sense,
    Martin

... or even easier maybe:
    Keep the S/PDIF interface for your recording of Git/Stack.
    When you do ReAmping, you go through S/PDIF In with your dry guitar track but you record analog Main Outputs as stereo track. This way you don't have to switch the Profiler's configuration AND your DAW's input configuration/track setting.

Even if you might not have ownership in legal terms, but I would boycott something if I found it was ripped off, no matter how good the product is. That includes pirated music, books, movies, etc :thumbup:

While I already agreed that is was a mistake to take the name, I still want to clearly point put, that I would have NEVER done it to take the name for MY product, music, book, movie, etc.
    There is no such thing like a product. I setup a 100% free (free access, free editing, free non-commercial licence) Wiki for the whole community. Probably the best intentions you can imagine, although it certainly went wrong. I didn't want to do any harm to anyone. The problem is solved now and we can focus on making this Wiki a great resource for everyone.

The fact that Gianfranco remained very polite and we could discuss and fix the problem made it possible to keep the Wiki going. If there would have been strong gusts and thunderstorms, I would have simply shut down the Wiki again and nobody would have had much benefit from that, imho.

Cheers,
    Martin

... mit dem neuesten update jetzt midi Pedale kalibrieren ...

Ich glaube, da gehts um ganz stinknormale Expression/Volume Pedale mit Stereoklinke und nicht um MIDI-Gelöt.
    Die neue Kalibrierung findest du im System Menü auf Seite 4 von 9, wo man auch die Pedale (de-)aktiviert.

One more thing you might want to know:

How to create a new page in the Wiki?

It might sound strange but ALL pages already exist (in some way). You don't have to do anything special to create a page. Just call the page's name you want to create. Only one thing you need to know: Always begin the page name with a capital letter (large, big letter). :)

Example:
    http://www.wikpa.org/YourNewPage

If you want to create a page with one or more spaces in the page name, just use underscores instead of the space.

Example:
    http://www.wikpa.org/Your_New_Page

The page will be there already, you just have to edit (and save) it.
    In the beginning you might post just a short descriptive text what you plan to publish on this page. That's enough as a start. Of course you're welcome to post your first Kemper novel as well, hahaha.

Looks like the wiki needs a Midi section.

Is this a good place to make suggestions here.

I've created two pages that could host MIDI information. Just add content and I'll keep an eye on it to help formatting if needed.

1. MIDI
    http://www.wikpa.org/MIDI
    This could be a general description or partly a copy of the MIDI implementation manuals of the Kemper Profiler.

2. MIDI Tutorials
    http://www.wikpa.org/MIDI_Tutorials
    This could become the right place for tutorials like "How do I connect and configure the FCB1010 for the Kemper?"

Again, it's very easy to add content. Don't be shy. I will keep an eye on all edits and I will help to apply nice formatting if you're not yet familiar with Wiki markup. Content is king, I'll take care of the rest as long as necessary. :)

Cheers,
    Martin

Have started a page "Signal Chain" today. Will take some more time to finish, but it's a beginning. Want to make screen shots but it's a nightmare because I've setup my lunchbox in a pretty dark environment and a place where it's difficult to put a tripod for my camera. Will have to think about how to do it.

By the way, we have 32 registered users already! Wow, that's great.

Cheers,
    Martin