Posts by lightbox

Haven't we been used to combine lots of gear to achieve the sound and effects we need for decades? Haven't we the same today, if we need to? If you need pitch effects but still are happy with the sound and other features of the KPA, couldn't you just find a pitch shifter that you like and put it in front of the KPA? I mean, seriously, the strength of the KPA is the amp profiling, the amazing reality of the amp sounds. You can't get this in any other gear in 2013, as long as you don't buy the "real" amps and cabinets ... and even then you'll still have to add your effects in some way.

If someone serves me some really good Spagghetti Bolognese, but for my taste some Parmigiano and some black pepper is missing, I'm free to add as much as I like. No reason at all to refuse the Spagghetti and go for a can of Ravioli. :D

PS: When you bought the KPA, the pitch shift effects still were in public beta. Of course it's not good to still have a problem after the release version was published. But still I think it's not valid to call it unusable. But that's just my own point of view, as always.

mDan, with all due respect, but that's simply bullshit.
    Other companies manage to sell pocket size amp simulators and guitar effects gadgets for 99 Euro (Korg Toneworks Pandora mini) or even less (Zoom G1Next @ 55 Euro) and they also use DSP, although in a pretty different way. Or if you look at the Zoom G3X, which is successfully sold for 179 Euro and certainly has more hardware cost than a miniKPA would have.

I'm not living in a phantasy world, I can roughly calculate development cost, production cost, profit margin and so on. It's basically only a question of how to advertise, how to distribute large quantities. The smaller the quantities the higher the individual price.

And regarding the KPA:
    It would be pretty easy to sell the lunchbox for 600 - 700 Euro and still stay very profitable. It all depends on the business philosophy only. Does CK want to keep the KPA an expensive device for few people, or does he intend to really conquer the market in all segments and in huge quantities. That's nothing we can decide, of course.
    But we can ascertain him of the potential to grow a lot, if he wants.

What exactly makes you think that a small device would hurt the KPA sales? I can't see a single point where they would eat each other's market share. They are 2 completely different things based on the same Kemper profiling technology and they serve very different purposes. And last but not least ... a cheaper device with limited functionality but exactly same sound quality could very likely open the Kemper world to a whole new market segment with potentially much more quantities sold.

Still there hasn't been a single valid point that would make a miniKPA impossible, imho. And I don't think a miniKPA would be the right way to just squeeze some more bucks and coins out of a saturated KPA market short before the product's EOL. That's just not healthy business.

The most expensive parts aren't the display/knobs/potis... it's the DSP board

Sorry, I still don't get your point. The DSP is very small, pretty cheap (16 Euro plus VAT if you buy quantities), R&D shouldn't be a HUGE task because the technology is already there and I don't have the impression that AD/DA is a serious problem for CK. So I stick with my 200-300 Euro price range. :)

200-300€? Forget it ;)

Hm, I won't forget it if you don't mind. ;)
    I'm 100% serious about that, I would buy it the very first day of its availability, guaranteed.
    Nothing beats the Kemper sound and I'm ready to pay for this amazing luxury.

I can't see a serious technical problem to create a pocket size miniKPA player for a reasonable price.I would happily spend between 200-300 Euro for such a device, if the following features are implemented:

• 2-4 AA or AAA batteries, no external power adapter needed
    • 3.5mm external audio input (volume adjustable)
    • 3.5mm headphones/line output (volume adjustable)
    • 6.3mm instrument input (input level adjustable)
    • Internal memory for up to 50 rigs (up/down switch for rig selection)
    • option(s) to activate/deactivate the A, B, C, D, X,Mod,Delay,Reverb slots (no parameter adjustment necessary)
    • mini USB connector to upload/manage the rigs
    • small LCD display
    • nice protection pocket/cover for the device

Bonus feature would be an internal, adjustable metronome with a simple click or stick sound, no fancy beeps please!

Hope I've not forgot something important, but this would be my personal feature requirements to make me seriously happy. The sound of the Kemper technology has been and will always be the main reason for me to buy.

Cheers,
    Martin

Vielleicht müssen wir hier einfach mal Klartext auf deutsch sprechen, weil irgendwie tut sich bzgl. des Problems überhaupt NICHTS und es kann wirklich nicht so schwer sein, die von kerman vorgeschlagene Ergänzung in der .htaccess Datei zu hinterlegen.

Unabhängig davon, dass auf der Hauptseite von www.kemper-amps.com immernoch das Kemper-Logo mit einem Link ohne zwingendem www versehen ist ... das Hauptproblem war und ist das Forum.

Man kann derzeit alle Webseiten mit oder ohne www aufrufen. Das erzeugt noch keine Fehler.

Die Fehler entstehen aber, wenn man im Forum einen Link z.B. zu einem anderen Forenthread posten will. Surft man, ohne das www zu benutzen, dann werden kopierte Links in der Forensoftware korrupt/unbrauchbar. Das passiert ständig und ist extrem nervig!

Die einfachste Lösung ist die von kerman gepostete Ergänzung in der .htaccess Datei, die dafür sorgt, dass ALLE URLs, die ohne www aufgerufen werden automatisch mit einem www versehen werden ... und diese Umleitung auch als permanent ausgewiesen wird (HTTP Statuscode 301), damit die Suchmaschinen sich entsprechend anpassen.

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^kemper-amps.com [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.kemper-amps.com/$1 [L,R=301]

Das ist keine schwarze Magie, kein Voodoo. Das ist eine simple URL Rewrite Direktive, die schlagartig das Problem löst.
    Es kann, wie bereits gesagt, nicht so schwer sein, das zu verstehen, oder zumindest mal nachzufragen, wenn man das nicht versteht.

Ich hoffe, dass dieses Problem nun wirklich mal gefixt wird, oder ihr euch mal jemanden sucht, der weiß wie man einen Server bzw. Webseiten administriert.

Danke,
    Martin (der mal Dampf ablassen musste, weil er bereits zuviel Zeit mit diesem großen, aber simplen Problem verschwendet hat)

PS: Wenn sich jemand finden sollte, der weiß, was er tut und in der Datenbank ein SQL Query ausführen kann, dann könnt ihr auch ganz einfach alle bisher geposteten, korrupten Links im Forum reparieren, indem ihr in der entspr. Tabelle mit den Posts nach http://kemper-amps.com/forum/forum/ sucht und das durch http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/ ersetzt.

• send a customer support mail to woltlab or
    • give lightbox a temporarily access to the server

what in the world is so freakin' difficult about this. it will take a minute!

Hi Geraldo,

your 2 solutions aren't exactly easy.

1. The links problem is not a Woltlab support issue, it's a server configuration issue which is Kemper's responsibility.
    2. The temporary server access sounds quick and easy, but it's much easier to just understand and copy&paste kerman's solution. If I (or kerman) would get server access, we could potentially copy sensible data (personal data). So I totally understand that without a decent contract, NDA, specifically configured and limited user rights on the server, no company will ever allow any external person access to their data. :)

The solution is so easy, that I would tend to say: If they can't fix that, they better don't run a web server at all. Embarrassing.

Cheers,
    Martin

I'm with mDan here. You can use the latest firmware, no problem. There might be some nasty clicks in pitch shifting effects. But nobody will force you to use them, in 1.7 and earlier you don't have them anyway. ;)

I think we're way past the time when there were some stability issues in early firmware versions. And CK told us many times, that the sound of the amp profiles will never change, as opposed to another infamous product.

Cheers,
    Martin

I created a topic regarding this issue with detailled examples, explanation and ways to solve this easily and kerman was so kind to post some code ready for copy&paste. The fix should take no more than 1 minute, if they have FTP access to their server. It's just ridiculous that they're not able to fix that since 1.5 years! And I have to confess that I'm starting to become a bit angry about the ignorance.

Nobody seems to really care about the technical and functional side of this forum. :(

... but for India, wow

Nepali people won't like to be called Indians. Nepal is a (great) country of its own. ;)

But yes, you're right. Many things have changed in recent years. If you walk through Kathmandu today, you will see lots of youngsters carrying guitar bags. Usually they have cheap chinese copies or heavily used second (or third) hand guitars. 17 years ago there wasn't even one.

Back to topic:
    Although the Laney amps are kind of low budget, it's still way to much money for 99.9% of Nepalis. The price tag for the Ironheart was roughly 800-900 Euro. Most young people with jobs earn somewhere between 30 - 60 Euros per month, just to give you an impression on the situation there. :)

My undisputed #1 profile for this "edge of breakup" is the '63 Fender Vibrolux Brownface from TAF Vintage & Rare Amp collection. You have to buy the whole bundle to get your hands on this amp's profiles. But it's worth it! There are some great sound examples recorded with this amp, especially by David Dyer and mDaniel. :)

Cheers,
    Martin

700 are some sort of service numbers. I have no idea if they can be reached from abroad.

You could try 011-49-2361-937-6824 during german business hours which should be between roughly 3am EST - 10am EST if you are located in the US.

Cheers,
    Martin

Have to agree with Will.

We get lots of choice and it's 100% up to us how we select, organize, simplify, change, reduce the profiles. The only thing I want to get separate when I buy rigs: I want to have one folder with modified rigs and one folder with the raw profiles.
    I hope that we will get a librarian soon, even if it's still beta and reduced functionality. The lack of the librarian software is a real pain in my broken right foot!

Cheers,
    Martin