Posts by lightbox

What really worries me most with this issue:
    They're going to sell the very same combination of KPA and power amp without any safety regulations issues. ?( So the purported problem must exist in the process of upgrading an existing non-powered unit. That sounds VERY strange to me, even more because it was always said that it has to be done by Kemper itself or by an authorized repair/service partner. Only difference as far as I can see: The combined product is called "PowerHead" or "PowerRack". But where's the problem to re-label the product after the power amp addition and send it back with the corresponding documents? That's really weird, isn't it?

IIRC, the Kemper should be extendable. An extension card or an extra board with better DSP engine should be able to extend the abilities of the Kemper without obsoleting it - like the (brilliant) original plans for the power-amp which only fell through due to bureaucratic issues.

While I totally understand what you mean, I can't see this happen. We're not supposed to open the lunchbox and to putter around with the internal electronics. There are no external extension slots where we could just remove a card and insert a newer one. Call it a design flaw or call it common practice. :) It's really hard to guess the future if you invent new technology and already have a bunch of work to get it running, support it and extend it on the software side of things. Also, it doesn't make things easier (firmware development) if you potentially generate a bunch of different hardware configurations by providing extension cards.
    I wouldn't blame CK for this ... even less if I consider a potential requirement of a redesign of the whole user interface (front panel, form factor) for a next gen device. Of course, we are used to exchange hardware in our PCs easily. New hard drive, new graphic card, additional memory, new CPU, etc. ... but a PC box doesn't have a lot of "user interface" apart from the power button. Everything is done via some sort of "external gear" like the monitor, keyboard, mouse, graphic tablet, you name it. I'm pretty happy that the KPA is an all-in-one device and I don't mind to get another, improved device in a few years, if it's worth the investment. In the meantime there's quite some room for software based improvements in our existing KPA, I'm sure.

Cheers,
    Martin

Maybe we should agree on the main strength of the KPA first. It's the tube amp simulation, right? And CK already stated many times that this core of the product isn't likely to change ever. It's there and it's as good as it gets. So the question to ask or answer is: How can this main purpose of the KPA be extended and supported in a meaningful way?

My personal take on this is this:

• Accessibility and management of existing rig collections
      This all comes down to the librarian software, the internal search and/or filter options of the KPA. There's lots of room for improvement at the moment with little requirements for internal memory consumption or computing power. Perform mode could be a huge improvment and it doesn't seem to be far away. We'll see and judge when we get it.
    • Remote control
      Many folks are eagerly waiting for the KFC, but I think this isn't an extension to the core of our KPA but more of an accessory option, a second Kemper product that may replace other existing 3rd party solutions. No internal horsepower needed and nothing you can't do now with other gear.
    • Dual Amping
      Well, this would be a substantial improvement to the core purpose of the KPA. But it's not likely to happen in the current generation of the KPA, I think. That's probably requiring to much horsepower from our box ... and it hasn't been part of the design foundation of the KPA we own. I would expect this to happen in a second generation KPA a few years from now.
    • Internal Effects
      Ok, here's my personal take on this. It's great to have all the internal effects we already have. And they are very good quality. Every additional effect has its own memory and computing power requirements, but these don't add up without limits as long as we're limited in effects slots for simultaneous use. I for one can't see many missing effects that would seriously change my decision to buy or not to buy. The only missing effect I (highly subjective) would really love to see added at some point is a decent feedback simulation.
    • External connectivity
      A pretty general headline which includes everything from USB MIDI to USB Audio to S/PDIF 48kHz to S/PDIF slave mode to other non existing connections like AES/EBU, MADI, AoE etc.
      Some of these are a real pain in the a**, others would just add a bit of flexibility but won't happen in the first generation KPA. I don't have a clue about computing power requirements for the features that could potentially be implemented with the existing hardware. That's something I would really like to read a comment from CK.

Hmm, again a pretty long answer. But I wanted to go into detail from my point of view as much as I can. :)

Cheers,
    Martin

While we're waiting for a Route 66 rig pack to see the light of day ... enjoy this:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I absolutely LOVE the part from 6:35 onwards! :)

I could be wrong, but I believe that looper capability has been part of the KFC design from the beginning.

... which would require an audio connection between KPA and KFC. Thinking about 2-way standard MIDI plus 2-way audio ... 4 cables plus power supply, I think we can call this scenario a design flaw. :D
    So how could we get all this in one cable? Either USB ... CK mentioned that Audio over USB is not likely to happen. Or Audio over Ethernet and MIDI over Ethernet. A combined protocol was mLAN, but this Yamaha development is at EoL since 5 years.

Long writing, short meaning: I have no idea how Kemper would include Looper functionality into their KFC without using a custom cable e.g. with 2-way S/PDIF plus MIDI or Ethernet.

But if you're right I'm curious to see how they solved this problem. :)

Now let's have a look at the results so far. :)

• Pitch Effect's (94)
      :) done
    • Performance Mode (90)
      :) almost done, has been on demo at Musikmesse
    • Play Rigs directly from USB Stick (without import) (82)
      Should be possible, but I think this would become obsolete the moment we get our hands on the librarian software and USB connectivity. Maybe not worth the effort?
    • Kemper as USB audio interface (61)
      Not very likely. CK already said it wouldn't be on the list.
    • Looper (60)
      Not sure about this one. Not enough internal memory for this kind of feature. Would require recording and playback from/to USB stick and as far as I understand some pretty heavy change to the internal signal chain? I can't imagine this to happen inside the current incarnation of the KPA.
    • Undo/Redo (53)
      Should get implemented although this wouldn't be a huge marketable feature compared to the other stuff in Kemper's pipeline.
    • Slaving & 48kHz on the S/PDIF in/out (50)
      This is a major issue for many, imho. But I don't even know if it would be technically possible with the current hardware? A comment from CK would be highly welcome!
    • Additional Delay Effect (Slot's A-D or X, Mod) (48 )
      Pre-Stack Delay sounds reasonable to me. Don't we have delay stomps already? (Not sitting in front of my lunchbox at the moment)
    • Feedback simulator (47)
      This is one of the requests I find highly interesting, although I don't have a clue how and where to add this effect. Maybe in the Amp section?
    • Spring Reverb (40)
      Hmm, not being a huge fan of spring reverbs for guitar sounds. But I can't see a reason why it shouldn't be possible and extend the KPA's capabilities for those who like it.
    • EQ block with models of different 'real' tone stacks (32)
      Not sure about this as well. Something like the cabdriver we already have? Or does this mean to mix a second amp profile (dual amping)?
    • Additional Room Effect (28 )
      :) done, as far as I understand this request
    • Polyphone Tuner (28 )
      Now that the tuner bug has been fixed, I'm very happy with the tuner we have and its precision. I'm not experienced with polyphone tuners. Have there ever been such tuners with decent precision?
    • MIDI over USB (26)
      Haven't understood why it isn't there yet. MIDI over USB is so common nowadays that this should be a no-brainer (if technically possible).
    • EQ block freely assignable before/after Amp block (19)
      This should be (relatively) low hanging fruit, I guess. A simple "pre amp" / "post amp" switch in the EQ block menu, of course.
    • Expander (9)
      With so many parameters to shape the sound, feel, interaction of the guitar and the KPA, I can't see much use in a dedicated expander. Sorry, but I'm honest here.

Now that's it for now from my side. :)
    What do you guys think about my remarks?

Cheers,
    Martin

OT: I asked specifically for the Runaway at the Fender booth.
    They told me it got stuck in CE procedures and nobody could give me any timeframe as when to expect the Runaway on the European market. ?(

Thanks a lot, Ingolf. Hope they fix that issue faster than CK implements feedback in the lunchbox. :D

Last word was end of May here in Germany.
    You can probably add some for the US ... or maybe it's a cross-atlantic deal? No powered KPA in the US until we have the Fender Runaway Feedback Pedal here in Germany. :D