Posts by lightbox

If you're running an open air festival which is 12 hours without pause and every guitar hero performs on this small, shared lunchbox, the artists will have to change the rig every 22 seconds on average to make use of the 2.000 rigs we can roughly store on the KPA. 'nuff said? :whistling:

Some kind of headphone filter for hearing rigs staright from the KPA would be appreciated though.

One more layer of filters doesn't help, imho. What exactly do you want to compensate with a headphone filter? Lack of a decent pair of headphones? No, I don't think so.
    Maybe you want to adapt the sound of your headphones to the sound of the venue and your PA etc.? No, sorry. You just need a pair of headphones that you're comfortable with and some experience with them. Phones Output should provide exactly what you get when recording. Otherwise you're getting into trouble quickly.

Cheers,
    Martin

... and to add something spectacular for the far future:

I would love to see a "Kemper To Go", a small battery driven "Rig Player", without all the profiling and editing
    features. It should be built with just the most important knobs and buttons to simply play a rig already tweaked
    and fine tuned on the "real" KPA at home.
    One input for guitar, one phones output, one SD card slot, one USB interface to access the SD card from laptop etc.

The device can playback WAV/AIFF/MP3 files stored on the SD card and we can jam along with a Kemper Rig
    stored on the SD card of course. It can serve as a looper as well, so you can record your rythm guitar loop with Rig A
    and then solo over it with Rig B.

No need to go into to much detail, but a pocket size "Mobile Kemper" would be KPAwesome!

I keep seeing threads for makeshift alternatives to the kemper bag. Whats wrong with the KPA bag??

I don't like the zipper at the bottom of the Kemper Bag. And the zipper at the top has no cover.
    Doesn't look weather proof at all. Also I like to have some more (bigger) "external" storage space.

The problem with the 770's are if you can't amplify the signal enough for some sources.

There are 4 different versions of DT-770 headphones, from low impedance to high impedance (32 Ohms, 80 Ohms, 250 Ohms) and one pair of "very closed" DT-770 for drummers.
    You've probably tried the high impedance model with 250 Ohms which need some extra power indeed.

The Sennheiser HD 280 Pro is 64 Ohms, so it is a pretty loud one. This is probably the #1 requirement for DJ headphones. ;)
    But I wouldn't even think about using them to actually listen to music or even mixing or mastering stuff.

Cheers,
    Martin

Hi gang,

has someone ever tried to profile a dual amp setup?
    I'm really curious if it would be possible to profile something close to Joe Bonamassa's rig into one KPA profile.
    For example the Marshall Silver Jubilee and the Carol Ann JB-100.

Cheers,
    Martin

Where does exactly the corn come in?

I think "Korn" meant cereals like oat and barley and it is important part of the "Pinkel" sausage.
    Of course I could be wrong and he meant "Korn" in terms of liquor (little bit like vodka).

I think it's not wrong to say, both variations of "Korn" would easily go down your throat in large quantities if meeting for a "Grünkohl & Pinkel" session.

Cheers,
    Martin

But other than these two points gain staging is not important anymore - that is if you are not using an older Protools version ;)

Finally someone wrote it clear enough to understand. I didn't find the right words to explain.
    And that's exactly what I'm doing since many years without any problems, preserve the original dynamics as much as possible with no clipping. No gain staging on my side since ages.

Cheers,
    Martin

48kHz sample rate (and more?)
    AES/EBU connectors (or even better ADAT and MADI)
    8-channel USB audio interface (2 channel full rig, 2 channel stomps & stack only, 2 channel Delay & Reverb only, 2 channel clean bypass)
    Word Clock Sync
    more internal memory

Also I want to add, that we need the Librarian / Editor and a custom folder structure on the KPA. Editor in this context means an editor to properly tag the rigs to personal needs.
    And talking about this, I would like to see a different file format for the rigs. Some XML based files like XOP would be great.

When I got my KPA I instantly tried the factory rigs included and thought: "Well, hmm, ok, hmm, ...."
    Then I listened to examples of the rigs offered by Armin and and44 and I immediately knew/heard that these are way better for my taste.
    Even if these audio examples are recorded with different guitars, I could judge their sound. Something I'm seriously missing from the rig exchange.
    Of course I have downloaded a few and some of them are great, yes.

But the rigs I currently enjoy most and fine tweak to my taste and guitars are those from and44.

Armin did (and is still doing) a great job of providing a massive ammount of profiles for every amp he gets his hands on. He really tries to capture as many aspects of his amps as possible. Problem with these is the sheer number of profiles. I haven't had the time to find my favourite gems in the mountain of 1076 profiles I bought from Armin.

Maybe you noticed that I called Armin's work "profiles", while I tend to call and44's products "rigs". Maybe I don't do justice, but that's the way I currently feel. I'm sure I will build and tweak amazing rigs from Armin's work as well. But this might take a lot of time to range his massive profile woods. :) I don't regret any of my purchases because I totally respect the ammount of work and time spent to create these packages for us and I'm always happy to support great products by paying a reasonable price.

Just my point of view,
    Martin

A PROFILE is basically the digital snapshot of either an amplifer or a cabinet or a combination of both if you will.
    The RIG is the combination of profile(s) with all the other effects and settings like stomp boxes, EQ, Gain, Reverb, Delay etc.

Hope that explains it to you? ;)

Cheers,
    Martin

Have tried it with 2 different rigs and your settings. One rig clean, the other one crunched. Didn't try high-gain though.
    I haven't found any issues. The only thing I can hear is a slight phase cancellation effect in the very background. But I consider this brilliantly natural.

Since you didn't post the second page Ducking parameter, I guess you're on a vintage firmware? :D

Cheers,
    Martin