Posts by StealthAMD

Hey Martin,

I looked around for you just by curiosity. Can't find anywhere a place where you could set a "custom" path.

I have looked inside the content of the App, looked in /Library/Application Support, /Users/userid/Library/Application Support to no avail...

Unless I am completely off-track, seems to be hardcoded to find the databases to specific locations with no possibility to overwrite the "standard" path by editing some xml file somewhere...

Marc.

started typing on a computer keyboard ( if you can call a ZX81 a keyboard LOL) by the age of 11

Ah, funny!

The first "micro" computer I have ever touched was an Osborne 1 and I was hooked...

The first computer I bought was a Sinclair ZX81 in 1981 and was 11 also. I paid for it by cleaning up my room and passing the vacuum in the house when I was a kid.
    Needless to say that no one, even my parents, knew WTF I would be doing with that thing.

I still have the ZX81 actually with the 16KB add-on. ;)
    I thought that I could never use all that memory space at the time... ^^

As far as the punching bag goes, I would avoid it... It's a pretty violent warmup let's just say.

Cheers,

Marc.

@ G String

Can't Kemper make some pressure at WotLab?

I am sure you have asked them but is there a more efficient way that by using a Forum?

Anyway, they came out with this not long ago:

https://www.woltlab.com/forum/…Lite-2-1/?action=firstNew
    (Security Update for Burning Board 3.1 / Lite 2.1: fixes a potential cross-site scripting vulnerability in the WYSIWYG editor)

If this is what you are seeking to fix.

Besides, for a corporation, Burning board is not free... You should have some ways to have them fix their security hole as part of a support contract if you know it exists.

I know that they will try to sell you version 4 with all the latest patches and all the bells and whistles but you can try to push your luck pretty hard if you are committed to not drop the ball. It works for most of my customers which are clients of the largest business software company in Germany, maybe still the largest in the World or close second... I am not sure anymore...

Regards,

Marc.

To the OP's original question:

Response: Oh f*** yeah!!!
    And this is every single time that I have a moment between travels (cross-countries) for work to isolate myself in the basement and power-on my KPA, it is one of pure bliss.

I have been a KPA owner for 1.5 years now and I still cannot believe what I hear, feel and how much better a guitarist it has made me.

I finally stopped searching for sounds, tweaking devices endlessly (Many Pods and one VG-99) to finally just play what I can hear in my head and focus on just that, playing guitar.

I do have to tweak the profiles in the KPA obviously but now it takes me only 2-3 minutes to get into the 95% ballpark of what I am seeking instead of hours of never being satisfied.

I just love my KPA. It let's me focus on my guitar playing (attack level, technique), tweak the guitar knobs more to hear subtleties I wasn't able to appreciate or hear before.

Mind you, I have never owned any decent real tube amp before as I was not a good guitar player and the tube amps were actually intimidating me because they were showing blatantly how bad of guitarist I was because they are so loud!

Now I can appreciate a real tube amp because of what the Kemper has brought to the table.
    Even then, I will not trade my KPA for anything... Too many possibilities.

I still love my KPA, the best investment I made for music with my Tokai ES-135 guitar. Excellent combination.

Cheers

Hi guys,

I have a Late-2008 MacBook Pro that gives me shocks all the time. It's like a hard and loud static shock. My wife ever hears it before I react with some loud swearing. Nothing else that's plugged-in using the same APC power bar does this and that includes my Kemper. No hum sound going passing through the speakers apart from when the shocks occurs (the speakers will power the "tick" and headphone too through the Duet2 interface).

I also noticed once while charging my iPhone that I was getting grounded (feeeling a constant current escaping from my MacBook/USB/iPhone) since my hand was kind of resting on combination of the 3 of them... Not a fun feeling but nothing dangerous, more like an unpleasant tickling.

Now my new work MacBook Pro late-2013 doesn't do this at all even when plugged on the same APC as the old MacBook and the rest of the equipment.

I kinda learned to expect to be shocked when I sometimes touch my old MacBook (it is not consistent) but every time I swear like a mad man at it :)

My old MacBook does that wherever I am by the way, even when I travel to different places with it. My guess is that the magnetic power connector kind of leaks current if the right conditions are present; like my sweaty left hand...

Cheers,

Marc.

Don, you are truly lucky to have witnessed first hand the making of these profiles.

I'm sure that there is some sort of wizardry to someone that has that touch and feeling about what sounds right and doesn't that you can't explain with numbers or with all the knowledge and experience in the World.

Must have been an awesome and humble experience.

Hello Viabcroce,

I might try to move my setup in one of the "guest" rooms which are still in the basement but with a lower ceiling and with carpet flooring "on top of concrete...".

I guess you can say that I have options...
    I just don't feel to be confined in there but it is worth trying even if it's just to understand better the dynamics of sound in a particular space.

As for the profiles, I am recently on a "pure" factory rigs setup streek for more than 2 months now.
    I am away from home now but the rig I play a lot these days is the CAE something OD2 from the factory rigs. No stomps are on this profile; just a lot of gain out of the box, enough for what I want.

Even then, the behaviour I was mentioning is also happening with factory rigs that have no stomps, much lower gain and that have the main rig EQ buttons at their neutral position.

BTW I found in the garage a "somewhat dense, but not too much" foamy black material that looks much alike the isolation pads mentioned in one of the previous posts. I will try that when I come back home and see the difference it makes.

I am not complaining about the behaviour, I am trying to understand and find ways to fix or attenuate what my ears don't agree on. Since more than a year now my KPA has been a real journey and an awesome way to learn and become better in every front mainly because of you guys, always happy to help and pitch in.

Again. Thank you!

I know I've said that before but I really enjoy being part of this group.

Hello,

Thank you all for the good hints.

My monitors are on my desk indeed and I will try isolating pads.
    The acoustic of my room is also probably the main culprit... It is basically a concrete basement with ceramic tile for flooring and brick walls (yes, inside the room) for the main part. Also the room is pretty large (25 x 40 ft). Room treatment is out of the question as my wife would not appreciate at all since it is also our living room.

I will play more with the bass cutting and fiddle more with my EQs.

Since I have little (read no) experience with real tube amps, I never encountered this before with amp simulators.
    If this is a also behaviour of real tube amps, then the Kemper is, again, right on the money :)

Again, many thanks.

Hey guys,

When I palm mute I find that the sound coming out is much louder and have lots of bass even if I try to be very gentle when doing so.

I have notice this with all my 3 guitars (with PAF pickups, passive SD Humbuckers and active SD Blackouts) so I wonder if the problem is the player or something not set properly with my non-powered Kemper.

I have the main outputs connected to a Duet 2 which sends the sounds directly to a pair of KRK Rokit 6 and a KRK 10s sub (I don't pass through a DAW). I notice it also when using headphones directly from the KPA but the behaviour is not as obvious to notice this way.

I even tried to bypass the sub but I can still hear this louder bass just going through the Rokit monitors.

I tried a wide variety of profiles but they basically all this behaviour even thought it is more tamed in some profiles but still present.

I tried playing with the Clean Sense and Distortion Sense but I had no luck.

Even if I turn down considerably the bass knob I hear the difference in sound level (Palm muting vs. normal playing).

Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc.

Hey guys,

I was watching the iTunes festival at SXSW earlier this week and I discovered "Band of Skulls".

They sound good and like a ton of bricks for a 3 members band. I am always impressed when I see and hear this happening.
    A little bit the same way as when I saw Stevie Ray Vaughan play for the first time and every time afterwards ;)

Band of Skulls have been around since 2008-2009 from what I've read but I just heard from them this week...

Anyway, give them a shot if you like bluesy/heavy rock type of music.

For a first listen check out the song named "Asleep at the Wheel". Video of Asleep at the Wheel (USA Youtube)

I was pleasantly surprised. I like the way they play live.

BTW, there was another band in the iTunes lineup that was using 2 Kemper racks (band name is London Grammar).

I like the 4 digit number, or more, to unlock the USB Port.

If someone want to get funny and break it by using some of the "features" of going to boot to the diagnostic and flash firmware screens, the code would still show up.
    If the user fails to enter the code it would then wipe the Kemper with a fresh firmware without the precious gigs after a few attempts.

Cool feature that is often overlooked for so many more other things also...

I still always find weird to speak to my computer instead of typing on it though...

It does pass somewhat OK when I am alone with my wife but it gets very strange when I am in my cubicle and colleagues start thinking that I must be totally crazy talking to myself or to "something" I see that they are not aware of. :P

Hi,

Here is one that can be found on the Rig Exchange I think... I know it's free though.

It is a Profile of a Custom Audio Electronics OD100 that I have tweaked a bit.

I must have 25 different snapshots of this Rig and I love it with basically any Green Day periods. You just need to adapt it a little bit for each.

I use this profile mainly with a Tokai ES-135 that has Pickups in the spirit of the original PAF. It also works well with Passive Seymour Duncan Humbuckers and also with Active Seymour Duncan Blackouts.
    Again, you need to adapt the profile a little depending on what you are using but not that much.

I also found that, let's say, I have the profile set for the Dookie album and I want to switch for the American Idiot album, I just lower my guitar tone from 10 to about 3-4.

The profile, raw, doesn't sound that great on it's own but in the mix, it is pretty close.

Another good point for using this profile is that Billy Joe uses a CAE OD100 mainly as an amp when playing Live. The techs are feeding the outputs of this amp through all sorts of sh*t after but I don't know the details.

Here is copy of the CAE OD100 that I have tweaked.

Let me know if that works for you as I am also interested to know if I am close in tweaking or not. You know, all this tweaking can be really subjective sometimes.

Cheers,

Marc.

That's sad... Isn't there anything Kemper can do to up the production to meet the demand for their products?

I feel lucky to have bought 1 of the last 2 units available in Canada a little more than a year ago.