Posts by db9091

I had the 11R and had to go through a lot of trouble to get it to sound close to a recorded amp in the mix. And that was only A/B comparing it to my recorded amp.

I had 2 boutiques and 2 well known amps, so for me, as a home player, plugin modelers weren't cutting it. Nor was the 11R.

When I saw video and testimonials about the Kemper, especially CK at NAMM my brother was with me and saying it seemed unbelievable but yet there was the evidence: NAMM and lots of video's showing how it profiles. He was very impressed and said to me "Sell THAT (11R), Buy the Kemper, profile your amps, sell 1/2 your amps". He recommended not even profiling the 11R (I did do a few profiles, one of which seems to be liked on the exchange)

Kemper has changed my entire outlook. I see it as the FIRST time Digital = Analog. When we are fighting off Cyborgs in 2050, we'll point to the Kemper's debut as the starting point! ;)

What do you think the best simulators are?

For me, a home studio, it's much simpler. I have cords galore. It's much less of a mess and less weight than my pedal boards.

But I can see the issues live where you'd have to carry 2 pedal boards maybe to trigger both units? Not a problem for me.

I also did say I was turning OFF the Amp and Cab part of the Ultra.

I'm comparing the Ultra to the 11R, in "Modeler World" in terms of how I was surprised how good it was.

Now there is a HUGE difference between "Modeler World" and "Profiler World" so the Kemper Fan Club can calm down when I dare praise another unit.

If the Kemper was not in existence, the ULTRA would be the 2nd best modeler in the world.

As it stands now, it's the 3rd most realistic unit to replicate an amp sound. It deserves some praise for that.

As an effects unit, it's amazing for the used price.

I had the Apogee Duet for my Macbook pro but I found problems matching levels when recording. It just didn't flow well for me.

That said, the audio quality is outstanding on that unit. I'd still highly recommend it. I just don't record on the mac, so I sold it.

I currently use my M-Audio Fast Track Ultra if I need to go to my mac. Had it around, I use it more as a breakout-box sound card than for recording.

I have a friend who swears by Echo, but I don't know if their USB is different than their PC Internal soundcard with break out I/O.

Do you use the Kemper's "ALT" as the second return for the effect's stereo?

I did it my way because the ULTRA has stereo I/O and the Kemper appears to have only MONO, but I think a recent OS upgrade allows for the ALT to be a stereo return?

If so, I can do it that way.

I got the Ultra in.

I put the Kemper in an effects loop in the Ultra. The Ultra's menu and interface are pretty intuitive, I was surprised, considering the trouble I've had with others in the past.

It sounds great through the Ultra, and the effects work with it flawlessly. One thing that surprised me is having the authenticity of the Kemper tones, I didn't find the Ultra in any way unpleasing or so fake I was turned off. I found many of the amps to be "usable" in a recording sense for my needs. I probably won't use many of them, and currently I turn off AMP and CAB in the ULTRA so it doesn't color the Kemper tones, but I was surprised.

For example, after getting the Kemper, the 11R to me was like garbage sound. Harsh digital crap. The Ultra is anything but harsh or crap. I figured going a step below the FX-II might be markably worse, but if the FX-II is remarkably better than the Ultra, it's not because the Ultra sux. Good product.

So now I have a first class tone in the Kemper, and a very versatile effects rack. Time to sell pedals!

Bass: Rickenbacher 4003
    Acoustic: Taylor 510 with LR Baggs iMix

My former routes were:
    Bass->Roland 100->Sansamp->Waves Q10 to EQ for more Gurgle or..
    Bass->LA 610->Q10

But I wasn't as happy with the recordings tone. So I started using:
    Yamaha KX88->Motif Rack XS->DAW
    Bass Plugging TRILLIAN within DAW (pretty impressive plugin)

For Acoustic I tried various microphones:
    1) iMix
    2) Neumann TLM 103
    3) Fat Head II with Lundahl
    Typically 2 of them at a time through my LA 610 or Chameleon 7602.
    I'm not the best engineer, so I still wasn't happy with the tone of my recordings.

Today, I used the Kemper.
    Acoustic -> Kemper -> Rig: AFV-JMP, an Amp Factory rig (tweaked for my Tele to be more bluesbreakers-like, just happened to be the rig I was one)
    Bass-> Kemper -> Rig: A-Bassman 59, a SoundSide rig (tweaked to be more bad-assed)

Results?
    I'm thrilled. Bass, Acoustic guitar, through the Kemper. Went into my Presonus LOUDLY and I had the Kemper volume turned down to boot.
    This thing tracks like a monster, and is insanely loud out the box.

The setup for each took about 10 seconds. I spent more time punching in edits than setting up wires or finding rigs to go well.

I have to thank Amp Factory and Soundide for those patches. Well, I already thanked them with my money, but they are great rigs. Versatile rigs, that is. Oh, and CK!

Ever hear of Punk? Or The Who? ;)

No, I'm just asking, just curious. There is an obvious difference between the Kemper and other rack mount units. They use boring old black buttons in grids that have little aesthetics. But I was thinking that maybe it had something function-wise to do with traveling, setting up, working around them, etc.

I've had issues with UA hardware. Flaky. Both my LA-610's broke. You have to send it back to the company to be fixed, there are no local places since they don't allow blueprints to go out.

Plus they move on from DSP hardware. UAD-1 is dead. Their plugins are DSP hogs and their hardware are DSP Power stingy and they charge a lot for it.

People used to complain about Waves plugins for having to plug in a dongle and it taking up CPU cycles to check them. UA plugins are HUGE DSP hogs and require a freaking external piece of hardware you plug in and hump around.

Good plugins, but expensive when you add up all the costs.

Also, their customer service has lied to me, so I stopped dealing with them. I judge a company by how it handles it's problems and they rank low on my list.

I sold my VOX AC15C1. Haven't missed it one bit.

I got my JCM 900 on consignment. Not missing it.

I sold my Swart AST. It was like selling my left arm (I'm left handed! ;) and so far.... No withdrawal. I made the buyer very happy selling it.

I kept my Tungsten Crema Wheat. Haven't played it since getting the Kemper, but I feel I gotta keep ONE around! It's my paci...

I wonder how road worthy those buttons will be? You look at other rackmount units and the knobs aren't as prominent or there are guards on the front.

Don't get me wrong, I love the interface of the Kemper, just asking those who gig how resistant to knob breakage, etc this rack mounted Kemper looks?

It allows you to program all the sounds of a set without changing the midi assignments. Intro, chorus, refrain, chorus outro (or whatever you want) per song without having to remap your pedalboard everytime that you change your setlist.

Still not getting it.

Currently, you can control via MIDI what rig you have chosen (assume a rig per part, Intro, Chorus, Refrain, etc) and whether an Effect is On/Off, and Expressions (Wah, Volume)
    But not other "sounds" as in Presence, Bass, Mids, etc.

Does it allow you to, when you say "program", string together a sequence of rigs independently of their MIDI assignments? If so, how would you switch to them Live?

From the video, it sounds like you basically get your EQ settings like you would on an amp, Bass, Mid, Treble, Presence, Volume.

Doesn't wow me from the description. Nothing that isn't there already by the press of a button instead of a turn of the switch.

What am I missing?

Will makes it sound easy.

I read a bit about it and got scared.

Will, can you set up banks with the 1010 and cycle through them? IE, 8 rigs per bank?

My main reason for not getting it was the Kemper interface was intuitive and the 1010 stuff you have to go through with getting a chip and Midi to USB etc then programming it, is the opposite of the Kemper experience it seems.

Don't get me wrong, I used to be a programmer, it's just I don't want to work at my play! ;)