Getting an Ultra

• The KPA sounds much better, to my taste, with the Ultra in the loop of the KPA. The Ultra adds a dull homogenized color to the KPA signal, rendering them more like second class tones. All subjective of course.

OTOH, running the KPA in the Ultra's loop allows you to run two amps in parallel: KPA on one channel Ultra on the other one. It might have its use. :)

• Do you use the Kemper's "ALT" as the second return for the effect's stereo?

I did it my way because the ULTRA has stereo I/O and the Kemper appears to have only MONO, but I think a recent OS upgrade allows for the ALT to be a stereo return?

If so, I can do it that way.

Yes, go into the Input settings to configure stereo.

• OTOH, running the KPA in the Ultra's loop allows you to run two amps in parallel: KPA on one channel Ultra on the other one. It might have its use. :)

Very good point.
    But this assumes that the Ultra has a usable amp tone. ;)

Unless you mean run an output from KPA combined with a KPA tone through the loop of the Ultra?

• I also did say I was turning OFF the Amp and Cab part of the Ultra.

I'm comparing the Ultra to the 11R, in "Modeler World" in terms of how I was surprised how good it was.

Now there is a HUGE difference between "Modeler World" and "Profiler World" so the Kemper Fan Club can calm down when I dare praise another unit.

If the Kemper was not in existence, the ULTRA would be the 2nd best modeler in the world.

As it stands now, it's the 3rd most realistic unit to replicate an amp sound. It deserves some praise for that.

As an effects unit, it's amazing for the used price.

• As it stands now, it's the 3rd most realistic unit to replicate an amp sound. It deserves some praise for that.

As an effects unit, it's amazing for the used price.

As an effects processor it is an outstanding unit for the money absolutely no doubt about that, but it is not the third best amp simulator on the actual market thought... For me using an Ultra with the KPA is not an option because it involves too much cables, too much weigh, too much gears to carry, too much potential issues. I like my rig to be as simple as possible! ;)

• What do you think the best simulators are?

For me, a home studio, it's much simpler. I have cords galore. It's much less of a mess and less weight than my pedal boards.

But I can see the issues live where you'd have to carry 2 pedal boards maybe to trigger both units? Not a problem for me.

• lol relax, nobody said anything ill about "praising another unit." This is not TGP.
    The Ultra is great, but only in the scope of effects. I play rock, blues, hi-gain, so none of it's amp models come close to what the KPA provides. So I only use it for effects, which is why it's the effects loop signal instead of the KPA.

Oh and you can control up to five different devices with the FCB1010. I control the KPA, Ultra, Mobius, AdrenalinnIII and GR55 with my one pedal. All of them are in the KPA's effects loop.

• What do you think the best simulators are?

For me, a home studio, it's much simpler. I have cords galore. It's much less of a mess and less weight than my pedal boards.

But I can see the issues live where you'd have to carry 2 pedal boards maybe to trigger both units? Not a problem for me.

I didn't try all of them but while the Kemper and the AFXII are obvious winners I would say that the Zoom G3 that I use as a backup rig is a tremendous value for the money in amp sims department and it would be my third place amps simulator hardware.

I would add that for a home studio player there is plenty of great amp sims softwares available!

• I had the 11R and had to go through a lot of trouble to get it to sound close to a recorded amp in the mix. And that was only A/B comparing it to my recorded amp.

I had 2 boutiques and 2 well known amps, so for me, as a home player, plugin modelers weren't cutting it. Nor was the 11R.

When I saw video and testimonials about the Kemper, especially CK at NAMM my brother was with me and saying it seemed unbelievable but yet there was the evidence: NAMM and lots of video's showing how it profiles. He was very impressed and said to me "Sell THAT (11R), Buy the Kemper, profile your amps, sell 1/2 your amps". He recommended not even profiling the 11R (I did do a few profiles, one of which seems to be liked on the exchange)

Kemper has changed my entire outlook. I see it as the FIRST time Digital = Analog. When we are fighting off Cyborgs in 2050, we'll point to the Kemper's debut as the starting point! ;)

• I had an ultra. The echo and reverb effects really do compare to the eventide stuff (even sweeter, for the price you got it for). The noise gate was good too. The weak sections were, the looper time was too short and looper control functions were sophomoric. Unusable except for short burst loops. It never really could reproduce the POG or POG 2 sounds either. So if you don't do loops, and don't want to sound like a Hammond B3, you are set. The firepower of a Kemper + a Ultra ...whoa. Not to mention each one will function independently, if the other goes down on stage. 8)