Posts by Grooguit

As a side-note, church musicians are starting to become quite a large market for music gear, as more and more churches have transitioned away from organs and hymns to modern music with full bands. I imagine that as the Kemper catches on, you'll see it becoming quite popular among worship guitarists. Mainly because the mix for worship services is generally kept at a lower volume than a typical concert, and going direct is highly valuable in that kind of environment, especially in smaller churches. Actually, worship guitarists are one of the biggest pushes in the low wattage tube amp market, second only the apartment dwelling home recordist market.

It would be nice if there was an auto swell effect. I'm planning on using my Kemper (that I just ordered today) in church, as it is the ideal direct solution for guitarists. I'm often asked to do volume swell stuff, and it would be cool if I could get that violin like attack with out doing the volume pedal dance required, (as it's typically called for on those prayerful moments with just the acoustic guitar or piano playing. Yes, I can do that sort of thing if I pluck one beat ahead and then crank the volume knob back and forth for each note, but I'm too lazy and I screw the timing up. Wouldn't this sort of effect be quite simple to include. And yes, I also want pitch effects. For my uses, I like adding an octave above and blending it in with the original tone, gets that organ-like sound. That's the main thing I'm going to miss from my G-system.

I'm quite thrilled and hope this satisfies my G.A.S. for a while. Sweetwater was willing to match a deal that musicians friend was running. They were giving 15% off purchases over $400. I told my sweetwater rep and they were willing to match. No sales tax of course, over the phone. I'm getting the QSC K10 in a couple weeks and my live rig will be complete. I play 3 out of four weekends a month at my church, usually a Saturday and two Sunday services, plus Wednesday rehearsal, so it will be real nice to have my 32 pound K10 in one hand and a guitar case and kemper bag in the other, plus a backpack with my cables, electric cords, and other gig stuff. One trip from the car to inside. No more heavy cab, amp, and pedal board to lug around. Love it. Since my church has an aviom set-up, I can use my nice headphones and do my own headphone mix if I want, so I'll only need to lug the K10 when my band plays. The sound guy likes it when I go direct so win-win.

Thanks for the advice. I just picked up a midi mate at sweetwater and they knocked $32 off the price, so I got it for about $180, they also took 15% off the Kemper and kemper bag. So I got the Kemper lunch box (in black) the midi mate, the Kemper bag, and two midi cables for $1997, not half bad. All new off course, not b stock or anything like that. Considering that the Kemper alone normally sells for $1979, its like I got everything else for $18 bucks.

I'm finally buying a Kemper today. I'll need to have some sort of midi foot controller until kemper releases theirs. I though about the behringer, but have heard its a pain to program. So I'm considering a tech 21 midi moose or a rocktron midi mate. Both have limited features and I don't need a volume pedal. If the Kemper comes out in a few months, I can live without some of the features that the rocktron has, but if I'm going to be waiting till next Namm for them to release a foot controller, I might just pony up the extra dough as the midi mate costs $40 more than the midi moose. In addition, I really would love the simplicity and battery powered feature of using the midi moose and not need an ac adaptor on stage for it. However, its going to be a long wait, I don't want to be without tap tempo.

Anyone have any guesses on the timeline of a release? Lot of folks on here seemed to think it was going to be announced last week at namm, along with the long-anticipated performance mode so maybe I've just answered my own question?

Oh it also has a horn tweeter and is a ported bass tuned enclosure, not a guitar speaker. also has 5 band eq, and the tweeter can be attenuated.
    Carvin's description:

The AG100D 100 watt combo amp delivers full, pristine sound through a tuned-port full-range speaker enclosure. The 3 input channels are individually designed: one for guitar, one for bass, second guitar or other electric instrument, and one for mic, keyboards or other devices. Each channel has a separate volume and EQ (3-band active on Channel 1; 2-band active on Channel 2 & 3), while Channel 1 also features a MID sweep control. A 5 band master graphic EQ allows you to further tailor your sound. Channels 1's voicing is designed for standard electric or acoustic guitars while Channel 2 is suitable for bass guitar, a second guitar or similar instruments such as an electric mandolin, electric violin, etc. You can play bass and guitar simultaneously without degrading the guitar signal, and the bass tuned enclosure and high frequency tweeter, combined with 100 watts RMS of power, is ideal for acoustic or electric basses. Channel 3 will also accommodate line level signals from keyboards, tape decks, drum machines or a balanced microphone, and provides phantom power for condenser mics. Channel 1 & 2 have standard 1/4" phone jacks for electric instruments, and Channel 3 has a 1/4" phone jack for tape/CD players, drum machines, etc., as well as a balanced XLR mic input with phantom power, which makes the AG100D well suited for a "One-Man-Band" stage set-up.

The AG100D also features 24-bit digital effects, allowing you to add echo, reverb, chorus and flange to each channel. Each channel has its own effect send level that will adjust the amount of signal sent to the effects processor. An external effects loop (1/4" in, 1/4" out) allows you to connect external effects.

The rear panel features a jack for the optional FS22 footswitch, which allows you to remotely turn off or on the two assigned effects. A post-EQ stereo line out jack can be used for recording, as a direct feed to a mixer, or as a headphone jack. A 1/4" speaker extension jack allows you to connect an additional speaker such as the 112AG speaker enclosure. The tweeter L-Pad control allows you to reduce the tweeter level if distortion is heard at excessive volumes.

Carvin's AG100D is the ideal solution for performers who don't always need a full PA system or multiple amplifiers, but want professional features and lots of power. Ideal for small clubs & coffee shops, rehearsal spaces and other areas where quick and easy setup and a small footprint are an advantage.
    - Power amp: 100 watts at 8 ohms— THD less than .03% @ 90% output
    - Freq. Response: 20 - 20 kHz
    - Speaker components: heavy duty 300 watt PS12 with horn tweeter and rear L-pad
    - Tuned bass reflex enclosure response: 48 Hz to 16 kHz designed for bass guitar
    - 3 Channels for acoustic guitar, bass and PA
    - Channel 1 for acoustic/electric guitar with Bass, Mid-Sweep, Treble, Effects controls & Acoustic/Electric EQ switch
    - Channel 2 for instr. or tape with Bass, Treble & Effects control
    - Channel 3 with XLR & 1/4" inputs for Mic & instr. with Bass, Treble & Effects controls
    - Phantom power on Channel 3 for use with condenser mics
    - Effects Loop (send & receive jacks)
    - DUAL Digital Effects Selectors and Parameters
    - Master Level control
    - Master 5 Band Graphic EQ @ 100, 250, 800, 6k & 12 kHz
    - Built-in insert for speaker stand
    - Forest Green covering
    - 90-260VAC 50-60Hz
    - Dimensions: 17" wide x 12" deep x 22" high
    - Weight: 35 lbs
    - Made in San Diego, California

I'm looking for an affordable amp for live use. I'd like to place it behind me like you'd do with regular guitar amp. It's 100 watts into its 8 ohm speaker. It has an effects loop, so I could bypass everything. Although, it has three inputs, two of which can be used with line level signals. It also can be used as a bass amp, acoustic amp, and mono keyboard amp. It's also pretty affordable at $400.

Here are my needs: While I will be playing my Kemper direct in most instances, as I play about 100 church services a year, modern music. I would sometimes use the Carvin (or something else) to give me some stage volume, though we have an aviom system. However, one of our services is located in a different location for an audience of about 75. I currently use my amp un-miked. The drummer plays with hot rods on a fusion kit, bass guitar through a bass amp, and the only thing run through small portable PA is vocals and sometimes the Worship Pastors acoustic guitar. For this reason I wouldn't need a ridiculous amount of volume.

However, I also play with a band that plays shows about once a month. Were a standard 5 piece: drums, bass, to elec guitars, vocals. We have our own PA so I can supplement my volume with our small PA. We also play some bars and other events where our amps are miked through the house PA. Some gigs we have had to not mic our cabs, and this is my only concern. Currently, my 50-watt Carvin Tube amp into a 2x12 cab has a ridiculous amount of volume, way more than I need. This is because our drummer isn't an animal and has a softer touch than most drummers. We make an effort to keep our volumes at a reasonable level, loud enough to sound full and powerful, but no more, as we often play in small bars whose patrons like the ability to talk. Would this amp give me an acceptable amount of volume and head room in these instances? I could also supplement my volume needs in these minority of occasions running a guitar amp (through the effects return). Also, I might buy a second AG100 down the road if I like the sound, but could use a touch more volume in these other gigs.

So, I'm on a budget, not looking to spend much more than $400. I would also like the benefit of being able to sit the lunchbox kemper on top of the Carvin. Their color scheme matches as well. Seems like most FRFR powered monitors wouldn't be very suited to sit the Kemper on top, thus requiring me to bring along an amp-stand, which wouldn't be the end of the world. I've read some reviews that the AG100 used to have some quality control issues years ago, but have been ironed out. Otherwise the reviews for being a small PA, acoustic guitar amp, and useful bass amp have all been glowing. However, I find no reviews on how this thing would serve as a power amp+FRFR speaker for modelers like Kemper, Axefx, pod, and others.

Any thoughts?

How about the ability to do the same with effects. So if you have ten clean rigs (because you want access to a clean sound in the leftmost preset (rig) on each bank of you foot controller. You might think, my reverb is a bit heavy in this room or concert hall and I want to back all of them off at once? Of course now I know that with the lock feature it wouldn't be as miserable to do this as I thought before

Keeping the g system looks like what I might just have to do. Don't get me wrong, the g system has excellent effects and is a top Notch product in its own right. I just want to avoid the four cable method. Selling a couple of stomps was something I would have done to afford this thing anyhow so well see. I know that this is a very small company, not like line 6 that has an extended product line priced for the masses. Might take some time before they develop the performance mode, pitch effects and their dedicated controller. I wouldn't mind using my g system to control the kemper, but in that case I'd just be using the kemper for its amp profiles. So I might just wait till these features are added, as I haven't made my mind up about which version to get yet. Prob will get the rack version as you can sit it free like the lunch box or rack mount it. If I keep the gystem I'm. Going to have to rack mount that as well, in which case ill probably want to include a power conditioner and probay will just get a separate power amp, as I can't justify an additional $700 for the built in one. Of course ill need a larger rack case if I go with a separate power amp. If money wasn't an issue then maybe. But money is an issue because I am a professional musician, so catch 22 I guess

Timo thanks. That makes sense. I can lock a stack, then scroll through my live rigs and hit save only on the rigs whise whose stacks I want to modify andonly on those. That's a more workable solution.

We should be able to have it both ways. That is, if you want to create a rig with a fixed stack you can. But also have the ability to choose a stack that is saved globally. Put another way, you could choose "ac30 max" from your local stacks if you want, then change it if you would like and save it as part of that rig. But instead if you ALSO have the ability to choose "global stack one" as your stack for that rig. Then you can assign global stack one to as many rigs as you'd like. You could then tweak a stack to hearts content and assign a global stack number to it. Kind of like assigning a midi number to a stack. Perhaps a better name for global stack would be something else, I don't know.

I'll re-read the section you suggest. I understand that you can assign a local preset that you created to any number of rigs, but if I'm correct, once you do that they are now stored independently within their respective rigs. So if you go back and make changed to the original local stack, it doesn't update all the rigs that you copied the original version to. So if you didn't like your tone on that stack you'd still have to go back and edit each rig. Although you could fairly quickly edit the local stack and then go to your ten rigs and copy the edited version, but even that is a hassle to do on he fly during a sound check.

Hopefully they add that feature. I can't think I'm the only guitarist that likes to organize that way. You can only use just so many basic tones live as every tone sits different in the mix. Hopefully they'll debut performance e mode at namm, but since they already announced the rack and power rack, I wonder if they'rll be any more surprise. Hopefully pitch effects and performance mode, as I can't take this from the studio to rebersal to stage, if I can't take it to the stage!

I'm still confused. Thanks for your help. What good would it do me to lock a stack? Then I can't switch to another. I need to the ability to stick with a few basic tones and have many presets that use those tones. I know I can switch effects on and off within presets but I prefer to have more presets with the effects I want to use already engaged, rather than than have to switch presets than toggle effects on it off. On my TC I have it set up where I seldom touch anything but the 5 preset switches during songs, and the banks between tunes. I need the ability to tweak those 5 sounds on the fly but then retain the ability to switch to all the presets that use those five sounds.

If the kemper can't do this, I may have no choice but to keep my TC which I love the effects and managibility. I could use the kemper in one of the TC's audio loops simply assign a midi number for each of my 5 basic sounds or so, and the pick 5 stacks on the kemper and give them each one of those matching numbers. Then I could have the best of both worlds. Of course then I may have to wait longer to afford my kemper, as the dough I'd get selling my g system should be much more than buying Kempers supposedly soon to be released foot controller. Although, I wonder what it will cost, as the built in power amp ads $700 to the cost of the kemper, I won't be surprised if it ends up costing $500. However one of the things that attracted me to the kemper is its all-in-one function ability. I'd love to sit the rack on a cab, plug it in and run nothing more than a cat5 cable to the foot controller and need only a single guitar cable.

Still confused. I've read the manual, and have been researching this amp for weeks on this forum but don't know if I understand. I dont know anyone that has one and am the sort that needs to get my hands on something. Are you saying I can have tons of presets (which the kemper calls rigs) and have specific amp profiles assigned to them, many these rigs having some of the same amp profiles and have an ability to edit a specific profile one time and have all the rigs that use it change together?

What the kemper needs is the ability to assign a stack as "global stack one" " global stack two" and so forth. Then when creating rigs for live use, you could assign a global stack as opposed to a local one. This way you could edit global stack one or swap it for a different amp stack and all your rigs that have that use that stack will be fixed at once.
    While I love to create various presets, when I'm in concert, I only want four basic tones: clean, a lighter overdrive, distortion, and a heavier lead distortion. However, I use various presets with these four basic sounds and create quite a few banks, some for specific songs, with all sorts of combinations of other effects so I don't to do much tap dancing in the middle of songs. Since I have dozen of presets each using one of my basic tones, if I want to make changes to my lighter overdrive sound, for example, I have to make the same tweaks and hit save 8 times.
    This is why I sold my pod hd and got a TC electronic g system. While I miss the variety of amp tones, I love being able to use a few dirt pedals in the built in audio loops and create presets to my hearts content. Then if I don't like my overdrive sound I only have to tweak my pedal.
    I'd love, with the kemper to be able to create tons of song specific rigs over many banks on their upcoming foot controller yet use just four different stacks for the rigs I use live. Then if I wanted to say swap out a fender deluxe reverb for an ac30 on my overdrive rigs I'd only have to assign a different one of my local stacks to the hypothetical global stack that my overdrive rigs use.
    If I understand things correctly, the kemper will only let me create local stacks and rigs, changing the settings for a local stack won't change the stack setting for all the rigs that use it will it?
    By the way, this is my only fear of getting the kemper. At least unlike my pod hd the kemper let's you create local presets which would make it quicker to swap and edit stacks for my live rigs. I also won't buy this until it comes with a dedicated foot controller and pitch effects. I need a higher octave pitch shifter!