Posts by Grooguit

I could use the mod slot for a boost, but then I'd lose the ability to use a mod effect there. I also use to have a g-system, which I sold to afford the Kemper. I loved having a boost switch, so I could simply boost whatever patch I was using. Perhaps global settings for a boost could allow the user to set pre or post amp or whatever? I'd prefer to be able to do more with fewer rigs, which is why I don't want to give up my mod slot for a simple solo boost. The more rigs I have to worry about managing, the more annoying things are. The ability to save an eq and a boost without giving up a slot would be a huge upgrade in terms of the flexibility of this product. I have no idea if such a change would be a feasible request, as I understand next to nothing about how this thing works. In addition, to be worthwhile, it would have to be something that would need to be compatible with the upcoming dedicated controller.

Its very common for users, as well as the comercial profiles to include EQs in the X slot as a means of tweaking the sound. The problem with this is that this is (at least for me) where I like to put my solo boost. Since EQ's are generally being used to shape the overall sound and therefore left on all the time, it makes sense fof them to be incorporated as part of the amp or stack. For example you, select the amp and hit the left arrow and it brings up a screen allowing you to use one of the eq options before the amp, or select to the right and it brings up a screen allowing you to add EQ after the amp. This frees up a slot for a solo boost or something else and when using an EQ all the time it puts it where it belongs, as part of the amp, rather than an effect you plan to turn on and off.
    Of course, allow the Kemper to still put the EQ effects in the slots like many users are doing now.

I had mentioned this before, but perhaps a global solo boost option (that didn't use up a slot) could also be implemented. Perhaps give the option to place it before or after the amp section and allow custom per-rig boost levels with the option for a fixed override global level. So some who want to have rig specific boost levels can set them accordingly, but if they change their mind and just want a set global boost for everything, say 5 db's they can turn on global boost and be set. Assign the global boost to a midi number and its done.

If either of these suggestions are done, it will make the Kemper much more flexible than it already is.

Other than a few things that are apparently in development, I don't see how this product can be improved much. (Upcoming footcontroller with looper functions, editor, and a few more effects, and implementation of a few buttons) How do you improved something that sounds identical to the original amp? Perhaps a new version would allow parallel models, an extra effect slot on each side, and perhaps the added dsp to accomodate this. They are a small company with a rather niche market of buyers, not mainstream like line6. It's taken them a long time to get pitch effects and performance mode. Probably will be at least 3 or 4 years before they even begin to worry about making a new version. My point is that this thing rocks in its current status, once the upcoming features are released, I don't see why anyone could be unhappy with this product, other than G.A.S. for a new version. At that point, if you just have to have the newest thing, sell this version on ebay and upgrade. But you might be waiting for a new version for many years. The question is, do you want to wait many years just so you can feel content for a while about having the latest and greatest, or do you want the best tool available now for making music, that will continue to be an amazing tool even if they do eventually release a new version?

Cool list:

Plus one for autoswell.

I absolutely love that effect, and abhor doing it with a volume pedal. I'm sometimes asked to do this in church over a quiet passage, usually with just the acoustic guitarist playing. With a volume pedal, you always have to pluck the note a beat early and then press the pedal down for every note. So timing can be an issue, plus you have to do the dance required, and put all that wear and tear on the pedal. Seems like it would be a simple effect to add.

Being a Kemper user for about 6 months now, my impression is that they don't release something till it is darn good and ready. You don't see a lot of issues popping up on these forums with things. Sure, there are a few but not many. Thing is, an editor will be awesome. But the fact that Kemper makes a small market product, you have to figure there are a 100 Pod users for every one Kemper owner. With the size of the company, it's certainly understandable if it takes a while as they just don't have the human capital to do everything really fast We finally got performance mode, long wait. The result: awesome. The same thing will be true of an editor and the dedicated controller. We finally got pitch effects, the result there, awesome as well.
    Consider too, that they don't get any more money from releasing updates that make current users happier. We already bought our Kempers. The only profit to be made from new features is the incentive to attract new buyers.

Kemper's biggest obstacle to growth is it's price point, and the difficulty to advertise. Think about it for a second. They claim, "you can sound like any amp, and even copy your own amps." When I first read their advertisement I was like, ok, another modeler that talks about sounding like any amp, which is what every manufacturer of modelers has been saying for over a decade. When I read the "you can profile your own amp" I was like, great now I can make a 2 dimensional lifeless copy of my budget amplifier instead of a 2 dimensional lifeless copy of some of the best amps on the planet. My curiosity at why the thing was so darn expensive led me to do a little research and discover why. Which it turn led to me making the best musical purchase of my life. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the Kemper organization is on a tight budget, because relatively few guitarists have even heard of Kemper, let alone own one.

Thanks for the info. Good to know. I've learned from my visit, though to take my Kemper as a carry on, as people from my party had bags lost going and coming from Brazil. Both times it appeared to be American Airlines fault.

Hello, I looking into using my Kemper amp in Brazil for possibly an extended amount of time, several months to a year perhaps. Having just been there, I know you can use a cheap adaptor to use American devices, like I did with my iPhone. However, I've heard it's not good to do this a lot. So my question is: will the European plug that came with the Kemper work in Brazil? Brazil has 220v outlets and the plug that came with the Kemper looks like its the same size as I remember, though the plugs look a little fatter than I remember. Anyone here have any knowledge about this? I'd like to take the Kemper with me if I'm going for an extended stay, but if I can't safely power it, I'm gonna take a few battery powered stomps and possibly a tech 21 character pedal that also runs on batteries. I've seen that there are supposedly EU/Brazil adaptor out there. Would the Kemper fire up safely and reliably using one of these?

Just got my Behringer FCB1010 with the Uno for Kemper integrated circuit. Absolutely love it, totally lives up to the hype. The only thing I can't attest to is to how it will hold up to wear and tear. It seems quite sturdy, tough. However, it's not unreasonably heave either. Very pleased

I'm in New Jersey, the Uno crossed the atlantic and I got it 8 days after ordering. Not too shabby. It totally rocks btw. I had just received the Behringer and didn't even bother using it until the Uno arrived. It works great, don't see why anyone would pay the at least twice the price for a two expression pedal board made by other manufacturers. Even ones that don't have expression pedals cost as much or more than the behringer. Extremely pleased. Love having the tuner on the board and heel down tuner mode.

Go with the Behringer. Get the uno for Kemper chip. It's the most compatible midi device available. Also the cheapest. Anything cheaper is some tiny little thing that doesn't give you much flexibility. If you swap the chip, there's nothing to program, much simpler than the Rocktron midi mate that I was using, which costs $220 and doesnt have expression pedals. The behringer costs $150, the chip I think I paid $20. Nothing but positives on this site in terms of build quality. The only complaints people have expressed were programing it, but that was when trying to program it without using the uno for Kemper chip.

Lately, a lot of users are stoked about the Yamaha DXR10. Supposedly, it is really flat and street price is $600. I have a QSC k10 which does a good job. I find that if I cut the highs on monitor output of the Kemper the slightest bit, it sounds pretty darn flat as far as I can tell. No complaints.

Just got my FCB1010 today. Have the uno4kemper on the way. Only concern is that the expression pedals seem flimsy. I'm no so much worried about breaking the plastic, because I'm generally gentle with pedals and such. I'm concerned about the internal potentiometer and such that get wear and tear with every movement. However, have you users found the expression pedals to hold up to regular use? I suppose that if the thing lasts a couple years, I can always replace it if it goes, considering it's half the price of anything else with dual expression pedals.

In general, once in a while I'm asked to do volume swell stuff, not often, and I seldom use wah or expression. However, I would like to mess around with some things using the expression pedal, perhaps I'd use them more if I had them, as I used to do back in days of owning the original floor Vox Tonelab. The main reason I am switching from the Rocktron midi mate is because the rocktron doesn't have dedicated bank switches. Banks must be accessed by hitting a second function button, then banking, then hitting the second function button again, then choosing a preset in a new bank. Very annoying and a pain to do between songs, forget doing it during a song. Plus, the behringer gives me one extra CC switch, since I no longer need to dedicate one to the tuner, as the Uno chip allows Heel down volume to enter tuner mode. That, and the fact that I can see the tuner and the programing is easier.

I highly doubt a company is going to design a cover so that no one knows that their product is being used. One of the biggest source of potential new customers are individuals who hear a Kemper being used. If they don't know what it is, they won't buy one. New customers are the fuel that fund Kemper's continued efforts to improved this already great product. Otherwise, if it remains a best kept secret, they'll go out of business, or at least not be able to afford to pay people to continue to develop this product.

This is possible since day one with the volume pedal.
    Do you get the trick? :)

Yes, I figured as much. Actually did that trick back in the day when I owned the original blue vox tone lab. I don't currently have a volume pedal, preferring simplicity in set up, only using a Rocktron midi mate, though I'm holding out for the future Kemper controller. The only thing I would like a volume pedal for is quick silent tuning, (so that I don't have to dedicate of my CC stomps to tuner) and manual swells, which I'd lose the ability to use if I programed the volume pedal to be a boost. Which reminds me of another effect I'd love to see: an auto-swell. I had one in my Pod HD500 and was pretty useful. I own a line6 m3 which has this feature, but don't like to bother to drag it to gigs as it's one more power adaptor and cable. Once in a while at my church, I'm asked to do some swell stuff in the background for slow songs, but find the pedal dance necessary to pull this off silly, and it's easier to get your timing right.

Thanks for the feedback, Chris. Not every day the owner of a company answers a forum question. BTW, the Kemper amp is the best piece of gear I've ever owned and can't think of another product which the company continues to improve at this level. The pitch effects being awesome. I bought this thing because I mainly just want really good tone, with effects being of secondary concern in quality. Particularly for live use, most of what comes through the mix is your core tone anyway, not the quality of your effects. In the studio, you have pluggins. (I'd rather have an awesome amp tone with a mediocre delay than an mediocre amp tone with awesome delay) However, I've found the effects quite amazing, as good as the effects in the TC electronic G system I sold before getting this. (and I loved those effects)

Would be cool if there was a global volume boost that could be set. It wouldn't even have to take up a block. Rather, it could be assigned a midi # and would automatically bump up all selected outputs by a certain number of decibels. The limitation would be if the volume hits the ceiling, but in most cases we're not setting any of the Kemper's outputs to max anyhow, at least I'm not. Thus engaging it would boost all the outputs by six decibels, if you'd like. Yes, I'm aware that you can place such a boost within a preset, but then if you decide that if your boost in general is too much, you'd have to go and edit each and every Rig. Globally, you could do this once without affecting any of your rigs. Plus it would free up one of the slots for something else. My T.C electronic G system had this feature and it was really useful.

Personally, I often don't want a high gain Rig for a lead, I just want to boost the volume of the current Rig I'm playing without increasing gain, just to jump out of the live mix. It would be nice if I could just adjust this globally at a gig and eat up one of my four post rig slots to do so. Since many of my rigs use some post EQ, I use a touch of reverb in all my rigs, usually want some delay to engage, I only have one slot left, which I'd prefer to use for some sort of modulation.

Hello all, first I know that an entire encyclopedia has been written about this controller on this forum at this point, so that it's quite likely that this question has been addressed. There lies that problem, it's hard to sift through all the info. I done quite a bit of research on this forum and haven't had my questioned answered.

I know, from watching a youtube clip with the FCB1010 and Kemper, that you can assign switches 6,7,8,9,10 to control CC messages such as turning on and off the any of the 8 effect slots or tap tempo, among others, just like you can on other midi controllers. However, are these global? Meaning, when I select one rig, can switch 6 control slot A, while on another another rig can switch 6 control Slot B? My current controller, a rocktron midi mate, can do CC messages, with 5 rear switches, but they are global, for all, thus switch 6 always controls the same slot, regardless of what preset I choose. This is annoying, because on some Rigs, I have one slot that I'd leave on all the time, but on others, I wouldn't want in on all the time.

thus my 5 rear switches control:
    5: Slot A
    6: X slot (for volume boost)
    7: Mod block
    8: Delay block
    9: Tap tempo

Thus I must put any effect that I want control of before the amp in Slot A. I'd prefer to be more organized within the Kemper and use effects in their best order, rather than putting things where they don't belong because I want to be able to accommodate the limitations of my foot controller. Can the FCB1010 with the new Uno chip do this?

Dude, buy the Kemper. It's cheaper and has the best possible organic tone you can get, and is easier to use. Most of it's apparent weaknesses that you may have read on this forum have been solved, it being such a new product. The performance mode has finally been added, so have pitch effects, which was a common complaint. It also appears that an editor is in the works as well as a dedicated foot controller and a built in looper. With some of these other demands and requests met, the Kemper team can now focus on completing these other needs.