Posts by Karl_Houseknecht

3. When I did the profile, in profile mode the A/B was identical, i coulnd't difference between the real and the cloned tone. But when I switched to Browse mode I noticed more bass and a bit different tone, I turned off the cabinet cause I had the kemper conected to my powerstage of the amp, but still a bit different. Is this normal?

You probably answered your own question there. You're hearing the difference of the "preamp/poweramp" part of the profile and that with the cab/mic engaged. There's probably more bass in the cab/mic portion because of proximity effect.

LOL! I see that I am not alone in this. That is good to know.

I thought, hey, I'm really good at tweaking stuff. Plus, getting there is half the fun. NO IT IS NOT! I spent something like 5 minutes getting some Mark V profiles from the rig exchange to work really well for home practice and recording, and I haven't spent more than a half hour so far gathering 2 profiles of my real Mark V. Although I do have more experimenting with mics and placement to do there. But still, it isn't hard. And the latest firmware update didn't negate all of my "hard" work. Bonus!

Forget tweaking. I like actually playing better than that.

I did the toaster last time and the rack this time. Both are really good options, but I chose the rack this time because:

1. Not as many LED's to fail.
    2. USB on the front
    3. The "case" is a no-brainer. 3U 10" effects rack for $90.
    4. Can always add a 1U power amp later and just get a 4U rack to have it all in one place.
    5. Don't have to listen to constant jokes about having a ham radio on stage.

I don't miss the mod knobs or the LED rings at all.

After selling my inital KPA and going through an Axe-Fx II detour, I'm back with a profiler rack. Thought I wanted a powered version, but I think I've found the place for this unit in my herd as a studio tool and occasional direct to FOH unit when I don't want to carry an amp to rehearsals. I'm working on some profiles of my MarkV and they are just freakin excellent so far. Don't know why I'm having better results this time around, but I probably never should have sold in the first place. Using the Axe as a gigging rig was a giant mistake with the updates changing everything. Now I get the same sound from my MarkV gigging rig but at whisper quiet volumes. And the same FEEL. Even turning down the volume knob on the guitar feels right, which is way more than I could say for the Axe where it got brittle and thin.

It's all in finding the right profiles. :) And having a nice amp to fall back on. (and create profiles of)

ACY, I gotta thank you again for this profile. I'm heading to the studio tonight and taking only my KPA and Blackout Tele (well, and a Tube Screamer). Will be using only your profile for clean through dirt. So versatile. This one profile covers everything I'd need. It's almost...it's almost like it's a...real amp. :D Will report back with how it all worked out.

Again, if you buy a product based on the hope new features/add ons will be added, you bought it for the wrong reasons and have set yourself up for disappointment.

That would be a true statement if there hadn't been an official statement from the company right on their product page saying that an upgrade process to fit the power amp would be in place. I purchased a non-powered head based on that information. It was misleading, and no rebate on a new product is going to make it better. If I go to sell my unpowered head right now, it's going to be competing with a glut of other non-powered KPA's on eBay that otherwise wouldn't have been there if an upgrade path had existed, and my sale price will be reduced accordingly.

Sorry, very bad business on Kemper's part.

I love my Kemper, but there is a constant feeling of being deflated at buying it sometimes. I went for the non-powered version because I thought ok, I will buy the power amp later.

We was told you can upgrade it down the line. A little while later - sorry, you have to send it off, but it costs a fortune. Finally, we are told we can't upgrade at all and offered the most impractical rebate ever. Yeah, sell it and get another one and we will give you some money off. What a kick in the teeth for the early adopters.

Exactly how I feel. Glad that the Camplifier exists. When the time comes for me to add an amp, that's what I'll be getting.

It's a good thing the unit sounds so amazing, or I'd be tempted to go a different route.

This profile is ridiculously good. Throw on the Treble Booster...wow. Just awesome dynamics. Pick light and it's completely clean. Dig in and it's rock. Thanks for sharing it!

This is why I love the KPA. It's pure GAS satisfaction with every profile download.

You're welcome. I just did this one for myself. Had no idea anyone would actually use or like it.

Try the "clean" one that I also uploaded and put either real or modeled pedals in front of it. This is why I initially bought the KPA. So I could profile my clean tone and have a backup for my gig pedal rig. And so I could just carry the KPA when I didn't feel like lugging the amp.

Armin's Axe-Fx pack was worth the $20 purchase, IMO. I know they're only at firmware 7, but they sound and feel like the Axe to me. And wasn't firmware 7 the most realistic firmware and didn't it sound exactly like a real tube amp or better? :)

And while pretty good, for $20 I was able to successfully fend off any GAS I might have harbored toward the Axe. The grass is not greener once you get there.