Posts by Karl_Houseknecht

I'm probably missing something super simple here, but when I bypass the delay block on a rig, the tails cut off. Am I missing a setting somewhere to enable this? My eyesight isn't what it used to be and the printing on that screen is pretty tiny. Thanks in advance.

This smacks of yet another attempt to somehow discredit the Kemper, IMHO.

I'm the person that the OP quoted, and I can assure you it isn't. Why would I discredit a device I own and enjoy? I have no affiliations with any modeling company. I simply have gear that I use as tools. Regardless of how the technology is implemented, my opinion still stands. But that doesn't say I don't love the Kemper. It's sitting here right next to my Axe-Fx and Helix.

Also, you might want to visit the original post on TGP and see the entirety of my quote in context before you jump to the conclusion that I'm trying to discredit the device.

Karl_Houseknecht: it can't be the KPA causing your latency-problems, I've been using the newest PODs, too and they have more latency. Or maybe it's the profiles you are using, profiling can make a big latency-difference.

Signal chain was: Guitar -> KPA -> Near field monitors. Nothing else. No computer, no audio interface, no DAW.

What part of that signal chain would most likely introduce the latency I was hearing? Also, if the KPA can't be causing my latency problems, how do some profiles contribute more to it than others?

Compare and contrast: I use the Axe and the HDx into my audio interface with direct monitoring enabled. Zero detectable latency.

Karl_Houseknecht: what other modelers do you use? For sure PODs have more latency, I don't know the CLR, but with my FRFR-cab (Matrix Q12a) I can't feel any added latency.

I don't want this to be about the other modelers, but for the record, I have an Axe-Fx II, POD HD500x, Eleven Rack, and POD 2. None of them have that slight delay between the actual pick attack and what I hear coming out of near fields like the KPA did.

What we will inevitably see sooner though is the possibility to connect digital devices like the KPA and the CLR digitally to prevent from latency adding up.

Not to belabor the point, but I don't feel or hear ANY latency when connecting ANY other modelers to the CLR.

Anyway, good discussion and thanks for the responses, but I'm out for now.

1) The KPA-latency is individually depending on the used profiles and effects, a latency of 2 or 3 ms is quite low and reflects the natural situation sitting next to an amp.

That's pretty low, and reasonable. I would not be able to feel 2-3 ms. Or hear it.

2) Latency is everywhere and totally normal, if you use guitar-amps and you don't have your ears inside the speakers, you will have latency. If your distance on stage to your guitar-cab would be 3 meters (normal stage-situation), you would have a 10 ms (!) latency.

My amp is rarely more than 2 meters away from me on stage. But even so, there's no feeling or hearing the latency. Early reflections smooth it out for sure, but I also usually have a monitor up front throwing back guitar at me. 10ms is audible. And I could, at times, hear the latency from the KPA even direct to my near fields at home. So it's at least 10ms.

That may be so, but I know I don't have any latency problems with my CLRs and any other modeler. So either the other modelers' latencies are quite low (doubtful in at least two of the cases) or the KPA latency is higher than the norm.

Very interesting responses regarding latency. Some of you feel it but can live with it. Others might be de-sensitized to it because you've become accustomed to latency from playing software based guitar sims. Others claim it isn't there at all.

I'm probably just overly sensitive to it but that was one of my reasons for moving away from the KPA. Actually, the LED thing was the last straw but I'm glad to hear that's fixed now. I'm probably going to steer clear for now and watch what happens with regards to reports of latency over the next software or even hardware revisions.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

I've been through 3 KPA's in the last couple of years. First one was DOA. The second toaster developed LED failures. The third was a rack unit and some of its LEDs failed. Also, I was noticing that, compared to my other modelers, there was a perceptible amount of latency. It wasn't much, but it was enough that I could feel it and it kind of annoyed me.

Has anyone else noticed this latency and does anyone know if there has been an attempt to address it in recent firmwares? Also, what about LED failures? Is that still a thing? I'm thinking about picking up a toaster just to keep at home and as an Axe-Fx backup but I remember the latency problem and that's a deal breaker if it's still there.

Is this one of those amps that's really hard to get a good sound from ?

Not at all. As was said, it's all in how you dial it in, and that is philosophically different than dialing in a Marshall or Fender. Mids and bass are usually kept lower, below 12:00, and treble is your friend to a certain extent. The post EQ is where the real tone shaping happens.

When I was a little kid, I used to think there were tiny people inside the TV, acting out the shows. Now that I'm an "adult", I know that was silly and, of course, total fantasy.

But I'm absolutely sure, and you can't convince me otherwise, that my actual Mark V has been cloned and is now inside my profiler. I expect that if I open it up I'll see it sitting there right alongside a tiny AC30, some Marshalls, a recto, and my other Mesa. I'm sure CK is there too.