Posts by lonestargtr

Just bought them and will try them tomorrow at rehearsal! Small suggestion would be to put all of the profiles into a single folder so you don't have to download 60 different files (1st world problem!).

I am working on that. All of the digital delivery systems I've tried to set up won't let me do folders of files. I'm still looking for the right fit. Sorry about that. We just finished a show so I've been busy for the last couple of hours so I routed them to the digital delivery system so you wouldn't have to wait til I was finished to get the folder full of files.

It's a work in progress.

thanks for the support and patience. I'm a guitarist not a web guru… ha

aha..thanx! there are 9 profiles of the ERT33 in the pack..a few of them has a Timmy-pedal in front

And just for clarification. There are a number of Divided By 13 profiles in the pack. There is only one ERT33 in that pack. All of the other variations I had of that amp weren't different enough to warrant a bunch of redundant profiles. I loved the chimey Voxy sound of the clean ERT33 so that's what I used in the pack. SuckaMC used it as a clean platform amp setting to put pedals in front of and his Rockett Blue Note does sound great with it. You might be able to get something close with one of the tube screamer modules in the kemper with just slight gain added.

The ERT33 is an EL84 based amp, similar to a Vox. I also included profiles of the FTR37 which is a 4-6V6 powered amp and it has kind of a beefier deluxe sound. The 3rd Divided By 13 in the bunch is the LDW39, which is EL34 powered and has more of a Marshall thing going but has this interesting top end that is very unique. I believe there are profiles with the Timmy pedal in front of the FTR and LDW amps.

Let me know if you guys have any other specific questions on the profiled amps and I'll do my best to answer them. Thanks!

Mike

Quick question if you can help, Michael:

I listened to your rock encore on youtube- Can you tell me if you know off-hand what tones you're using for those?
    Just one, or are you changing it up on the different tunes?
    Sounds great, just wondering if I can use those same tones you are (even though the fingers won't sound the same)! lol

Let me see if I can remember what all I'm using without it in front of me… The Brick in the Wall delay patch is my 3rd Power Blackface with a heavy delay on it. The clean Wall sound is pretty much the same profile but without the delay. The 3rd Power Crunch is the sound during the "All in all it's just a…" part. On the Thin Lizzy song, I'm using the 72 Marshall profile with a slight bump in gain for the solo section. It may in fact be the Marshall Solo profile. The KISS song is usually the EVH 5153 Ch 2+ setting usually. I have a few different options that I can use… the EVH and a Marshall Solo setting with even more gain dialed in as well as the 3rd Power Klon profile. I can pick which one I want for any of those songs depending on what I feel like.

Hope this helps
    Mike

Michael, that Anderson Cobra with 3 P90's sounds outstanding.
    I want one bad now!
    Where did you get yours?

I've had mine since '02. I called the Anderson shop and told him what I was looking for and he found one up at Manny's in NYC and I called and ordered it over the phone. Best guitar I've ever purchased sight unseen. There happens to be one almost identical to mine, but newer on eBay right now somewhere around San Francisco if you're really looking.

Thanks and glad you're liking the profiles!

Can I please say (in addition to the fact that the profiles do rock!) to those of you using IEMs on one ear in a live rock setting, there are a number of studies out there that say that is extremely bad and far more likely to damage your hearing. Please, from a fellow tone lover, don't do that!

I am definitely not condoning the practice of using just 1 iem. I have read some of the things about the dangers of it and I try to mitigate the damage as best I can by running them at lower levels than I would if I were using both. To me, there are inherent dangers of using iem's in the first place and they seem to be inversely proportionate to the skill level of the monitor engineer. If you have a great one, the danger goes down, but if you have a an inexperienced one, the danger to your ear drums is very real. When an assortment of speaker drivers are literally millimeters from your ear drum and you get a monitor engineer that keeps turning up what you are asking for and nothing is happening and then he realizes his mistake and unmutes the input without first backing the levels down, you are in for a world of hurt. And I get more tinnitis from wireless signal hits than just from simple monitor levels. I also make sure the ear closest to the drums is the one with the mold in to cut down cymbal->eardrum abuse. I have tried using two many times and just cannot get the feel and sound right. If you are going to buck the system and use 1 iem then be aware of the issues and try to save your ears.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the feedback and I'll be looking forward to more reviews once you've tried them out more. I wanted to let everyone know that I'm trying to get the digital delivery system set up so people can get the profiles sooner without waiting for me to send them manually. I think I have it up and running but wanted to let you know that if you run into any glitches to just post here and I'll be checking in frequently. I'm about to go on the road for a few days and wanted to get it set up in case I'm out of LTE/wifi range for any length of time. Thanks for your patience and support so far!

***UPDATE***
    Ran into a glitch with the digital delivery system that I'm trying to work out with tech support. Until then, I'll be manually processing orders. I try to get the profiles out within an hour and am successful in most cases unless I'm sleeping.

thanks
    Mike

Hello. Just bought your profile pack What made me buy was the fact that you profiled mainly for live use and that you have made them even and consintent, absolutly perfect for me. Best regards from Umeå-Sweden/ Hans Jakobsson

yepp, same reason here..haven't had a chance to try them through PA at live-level yet, but they sound great through studiomonitors

Thanks guys. I'm curious to get your input once you've tried them live. I've been using them live for almost 2 years and they're working great for me. Do you guys have the powered KPA's? What are you using for monitoring onstage? I use in-ear monitors (I only keep one in) and run the monitor out into the power amp in of an EVH head for pushing a little air and feeling the guitar onstage.

Matthias,

Was away from my computer for a bit. Just got them sent off to you. I'm working on figuring out a way to do it from my iPhone but it's not easy to attach file folders with iOS. I'll work on that.

Mike

I have to disagree. Any time a guitar is run through a FRFR cab that I've heard, the highs are coming out of a horn, which is not the same audibly as a guitar cab "in the room".

That being said, I'm not sure that's all too important. Either a. you are playing in a band with a p.a. and you want the cab/mic's as part of the profile to fully utilize the magic of the KPA or b. you just need to have the best guitar sound onstage or in your room. In the case of b., I've found that running the kemper into the power amp in/fx return of a tube amp and just eq'ing the KPA output and/or profiles to get it to sound a good as possible. I bounce back and forth with turning the cab sim off/on because depending on the tube amp, whether it's a combo or head/cab, you can adjust it to your liking. Sometimes I leave the cab sim off and others on. The KPA is so tweakable that you can eq it to work either way. I've been way less happy running the KPA into a powered p.a. speaker or dedicated FRFR powered speaker (Atomic). To me, it sounds very digital when it's not going through the power section of a real tube amp, plus the dynamic punch is way better with tubes. But always, if I'm going through a p.a., I'm using the main direct outs and just using the monitor as I state above. This setup freakin rocks.

I've profiled them both ways, but now I almost prefer to profile to headphones. My reference amps are ones that I am very happy with so I just compare to those with headphones. I also have an atomic powered speaker as well, but most of the "work" is done with just the headphones. I find that most studio monitors color the eq just as much or more as headphones. I bounce back and forth between AT headphones, Ultimate Ear molds and the Atomic and if it sounds good on all then I'll run the profiler program.

Hey Mike,
    How do your band mates feel about the Kemper? Just wondering if it was met with any skepticism when you first brought it out and if it dialed in pretty quickly.

Thanks

I don't think they were overly skeptical. I tend to change things on a regular basis anyway, but always end up sounding almost the same, so they weren't too worried. I did spend a few weeks dialing it in at home and then spending a few hours in a rehearsal room with a p.a. dialing it in. I got pretty close and then picked my favorite 6-8 rigs and built our set list presets based on those. I think our foh engineer was the most skeptical but he loves it. Between he and I, we do a pretty good job of selling Kempers everywhere we play. ha. To fully commit to it, I think you have to be pretty familiar and comfortable with it. Plus, I only use rigs that I profiled myself, so they already sound like my original guitar tones. That helps a ton. Otherwise, there are just so many options and it's hard to narrow it down. It took me a few weeks of playing around with it and monitoring it in different ways to get it where I trust that it'll sound good in most situations.

Any chance you might post your soundcloud sample rig on the user download page? I too have been using the Line 6 to get that octave up ringing sound (Edge). Thanks

Here are the settings I used on my soundcloud recording. You can use them with whatever rig you already have so you get "your" tone.

[Blocked Image: http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c205/lonegtr/tellhersoundsettingsjpg_zpsed8a62aa.jpg]

Your Soundcloud clip is great! It is an excellent example of a musical way to use Ducking. Excellently played, too

Thanks. I did it pretty quickly, but I've been noodling around with that sound the past couple of days. I have to play pretty soft to get that pizzicato string sound, so the pitch effect has a bit of a hard time trying to "hear" what I'm doing but other than that it's pretty cool. It's a lot of fun to noodle around with.