Posts by K3MP3R

Wow. The Colin profile sounds insane. I could put this right on a track without any EQíng at all and it would sound better than anything I ever were able to produce or have my studio guys produce or even have most of the bands I´m friends with (who recorded their stuff in high-end studios) get with their recordings. I now understand why VES said it´s great but also bad to know what this sounds like. Now everything will sound mediocre in comparison.

Unless I hire a crew of 10 master thiefs and break into your kemper. My Ocean Kemper 11 team :D

Yeah hopefully they are just getting some hype up for some paid profiles instead of just teasing us. "Hey guys check out my unicorn. No, you can't touch my unicorn". Don't get me wrong, nobody should feel obligated to have to share anything if they do not want to. I'm happy with what is available for profiles and they will only get better as tips and tricks of the trade for great profiles leak as time goes on.

Wow Lasse ! These are all keepers for me, thank you. I'm still having a hard time believing the clarity and definition of these with some of them pretty much maxed out in gain and still crisp sounding.

I'd like to donate $20 towards your profiling fund if you have a paypal email or else I'll find a cd or shirt to buy if you don't. If your taking requests for the next batch, I would love some 5150/6505 profiled like you did with ChugChug (or whatever you decide works best for those amps).

I say get some more videos out on youtube, these look interesting. If you could put them up against a FRFR and a guitar cab. Don't even have to give any opinions (don't want to aggravate the tone scientists) just play and let the viewers decide (ideally it would be great with clean, crunch, and heavy all in one video). It would be a bonus if you also included links in the description for a FLAC or even mp3 320 of the video as well.

Not trying to tell you what to do, just letting you know what I would like in a video and would probably provide that for others if I were selling one of those speakers.

I get most of that. Basically want to see two profiles with the only thing being changed are amp settings. Where 1 is profiled with the sound you like coming from the cab and 2 is profiled based on the sound you like coming from an external studio monitor that has the mic'd amp as the source.

It is not really supposed to prove anything, just something to try and see if and how the profiles differ.

Kind of a random test like the other one that refined using different guitars.

Does anyone know if there is two profiles done by the same person with this process.

Profile1: profile the cab with the sound you like coming out of the cab.

Profile2: send the profile mic to a mixer and run a monitor off the mixer to another area. Then profile the amp when you get the sound you like out of the monitor and not the cab.

I just want to see the difference in the profiles that are made that way.

Guitar tone:

I like that story. It is a nice idea of where I would like to be once the dust has settled. I think the profile frenzied that happens with a lot of users is a combination of having so many types and options to play with with the addition of learning phase that happens to us and our ears as we compare the kemper with tubes and modellers and different speakers. I'm sure there's lots that just plug it in and love it from the get go, but there is a pretty deep rabbit hole if a person wants to try and understand everything that is happening.

As far as what we would like to see in the future, I think we really do not know until we hear it. I started thinking about the jokes about amps that go to 11. I kind of now think that if you profile an amp that is maxed out, the kpa still has room on the equal so we really can go to 11 and beyond like you said with the new amp sound that you delivered for your friend.

With high gainsounds more gain is not always better as there seems to be more compression and blending going on that makes amps sound more alike. Probably not a kpa thing but a gain thing in general.

That would be my request is some more refinements in the high gain areas. I'm not even sure what that would include but it would be something like the Randall Satan where the gain has its own eq.

I think what CK is saying is that the FX are modeled (like on a POD) and not emulated (or whatever tech) through the profiler like the amps and cabs are.

It would piece together why the amps sound more natural than the Screamers and ODs. Its not a bad thing, its just that storing a profile of effects in the FX bank is not gonna happen. We could still have two profiles, one with the OD and one without and switch between them as easy as turning on and off the effect. Maybe its not ideal with what a user was looking for, but it is still pretty sweet to have that option.

I totally agree. I really dig metal, but cookie monster vocals are a turnoff.

You won't be hearing any metalcore at our gig Friday night!

Hey, cookie monster's got some pretty decent lyrics:

[Youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWac5UT80no[/Youtube]

In all honesty I actually envy anyone who can just turn off what they do not like to listen to. I am stuck in a love-hate relationship with metal where I really like a lot of different guitar and drums from all styles of metal but hate any really heavy singing in lots of it. I kind of found my place and enjoy a lot of the bands with the dial voices/singers that alternate the decent lyrics and heavy stuff.

Welcome

It's tempting to have GAS for other gear once you get the Kemper. I would recommend trying out some different cabs and also some full range PA speakers like the DXR 10/12 or a Matrix or CLR if you find one before you buy. It's relatively easy to make lots of different gear work but you never know what you will like best unless you try some different ones first.

Enjoy

When researching the coaxial for the CLR there was some chatter online about the Matrix using a Beyma speaker. Probably looking something similar to this one.

[Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/cG3i7z6.gif]

They also have a coxial with a built in horn though it is $ 549 while the first one is $ 159. Just some more ideas besides the celestion offerings if someone was looking at making their own coaxial/component cab.

[Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/csdZNxS.gif]

Edit: I do not see any ports but a quick hand test playing some bass heavy music through it should reveal if there are. They probably could have placed a couple small ports on the sides of the passive amp to aid in cooling, though a port will change the sound quite a bit so I would guess they did try one at one time when designing the cab and decided then whether or not to use one.

Also I gotta add. Guys ALOT of the records put out by these guys in the last 2 years have Kemper all over it, seriously. Alot of it just isn't publicized, or really known by the bands because these reamp all the time with it. Bands don't care, as long as it sounds good ya know? Newest example that not many people know about:the 2 new death angel records.. All Kemper... Jcm800 profile. It gets used alot more than people realize trust me!!!

A lot of it is just plain ignorance of not understanding what it can do and how it works that leads to a lack of acceptance. To be fair the KPA did seem to have a rough start. My first impression of this thing from youtube had WTF written all over it because of the "space toaster" blinking lights look and the fact that they were more concerned with demoing the profiling process than the sounds which made it seem weird as well with all the sounds coming out of it. It wasn't till I started discovering a bunch of really great soundcloud demos that made me really research the KPA and make me want one.

With the bands not bragging about using the kpa, it is actually understandable. If you tell someone it is a kpa (what they hear is "not a real amp") they rationalize a reason not to like it. But if you show them an awesome track and they like it and tell them "oh BTW, we used a kpa to make that" they are more inclined to actually accept its capabilities and say it is a good unit. Another good reason is sponsorship. Sometimes you just have to keep the KPA backstage behind a (insert brand name here) sponsored stack that the audience can see.

[Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/V7ITKTr.jpg]

There are a few good demos and one by lasse in particular where it is so hard to tell the kpa from the real amp on a DAW recording that it is funny reading the comments where they "claim" to know the differences but are then shut up when lasse reveals where the switching happens is way off from where they said it happened.

As for recording, it reminds me of Mudrock's interview where he says that having to take the time to keep dialing in a recording sound with an amp is time consuming for each take or session, so the effort to dial in that sound and save it on the KPA is well worth it. The same goes for live where they can have the KPA into whatever PA is at the event and have their sound rather than haul around a bunch more gear or have to work with gear that is not really your sound.

K well that makes more sense then. Still if they do claim to have some superior skills for making profiles I would think they would want to get in on the paid profile bandwagon since there are a lot of people dishing out money right now. Once the market is flooded with profiles, there will only be a select few with the skill and experience to "wow" people enough to make them want to buy profiles.

I don't remember even saying that comment and did not even find it in this thread. If I were to comment about it I would say they probably would release (Whether paid or free) what they use to us. Its not like people that use the same amps as famous bands go and steal their signature sound and make an album with it. There is just too much equipment and settings that are in between an amp sound the sound you hear on an album. Heck I can hardly ever sound close to a soundcloud clip with a profile let alone the differences that happen to the sounds after mixing and mastering. I love some of Ola's tones but don't care for hardly any of his profiles. People just have different ways of getting to their intended outcomes of sound.

Some updates on specs:

This is not coaxial this is component, ie, 12 driver underneath and tweeter supported on top via mounts on top plywood

Plywood is 3/8 thick where woofer is mounted

Woofer mounted from bottom

Paper cone and paper (maybe paper composite) surround

Tweeter is Celestion T5487A and I would guess has matching Celestion woofer

Those damn extreme couponers are everywhere now.

Joking aside that sucks but I hope it helps you improve the checkout system in the future. Maybe you could have a way that would give everyone with a registered kpa to get a hash code making the offers only good for one code per kpa. Probably too much work but an idea to throw out there anyway.

I did the survey and I never do surveys. Did not use the code either. It was just to hopefully contribute to future updates qto the site.

The horns in the CLR look more square to me:

[Blocked Image: http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t48/Guitardojo/Atomic/CLR_Wedge2.jpg]

That is just the plastic horn that gives the tweeter underneath its direction for sound projection. Its is still a coaxial speaker underneath. Maybe they gave the speaker a new name with the different designed driver used but it is still going to perform similarly. Not trying to knock the clr, just explaining what the driver is. The benefits of a coaxial over component are apparent when you move around the room/stage as the coax delivers highs and lows together equally for the player. With a frfr it is possible to have to much or to little of the highs mixed with the lows depending on your position in comparison to the speaker. For someone further away, the sounds blend by then so are not as important if it is coax or component.

Deny

I do not have any numbers right now. I am still researching the best approach to tame this instead of more gear or tips quick fixes. Sometimes it just needs to work but with my brain it is only a matter of time before I need to know how and why it works. The understanding of how the different eq's operate in the kpa is going to be key. Not talking about amp eq either, we want our intended sound still delivered.

Here is a great read about eq types that is really easy to digest.

http://www.presonus.com/commun…/equalizer-terms-and-tips

Basically with that knowledge it should be doable to either shape the eq curve and roll off the lows and highs to more closely simulate a cab speaker or just find and roll of of a sloppy low end or a piercing high end if that is what is the issue.

I'm trying to take the perspective of having a set frequency response curve that can be locked in and gives set perameters for what is delivered to my monitor rather than trying to tweak a bunch of profiles seperately. This just includes where in the spectrum I would start tapering off the highs and lows, I don't want to be compounding eq settings as that would mean that the settings would not really be compatible with too many profiles.

If you just want a certain frequency or area of this twang* tamed, then that should be doable too. Use a high pass and slowly lower till you find the culprit area and then use a eq that you can set to that specific area and lower the level of output in that area. But if you find that you need the pass is needed on the dxr, then there is a decent chance that the lows may be exaggerated on other speakers too. So a curve may be worth the work and then you can leave the dxr full range but at lower levels for those frequencies.

CLR has a horn. Here is what a typical coaxial speaker looks like:

[Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/CT0c6bV.jpg]

Edited: The CLR uses a component set up where there is a tweeter with an attached horn suspended over the driver in the center. See my post below for pictures.

The next picture is a clestion coaxial. Looks like a conventional speaker at first in the picture but the cone is actually raised up over the driver and houses a tweeter.

[Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/K9xtqMO.png]

I've tried the KPA with a QSC K10 and a pair of low budget studio monitors (Event 20/20), and to the best of my perception the high end weirdness is still there.

By your post I feel you know exactly what I'm talking about, seems I'm not crazy after all... Well at least I'm not the only one :p
    I've been messing with the definition and pick parameters in the amp block and have reached more or less the same conclusions, the definition parameter can be useful within certain limits, the pick parameter seems to take out too much of the amp character, I need to give them a little more tries with fresh ears though. Thanks for the shelf suggestion, will give that a try as well.

Since you seem more concerned with getting a specific amp sound rather than just dialing in your own sound I would stick to a shelving eq or studio eq that can lower a specific range In the top end that reduces what you don't want and then touch the definition to taste so that you don't deviate to far from your sound.

Also since it sounds like you have isolation for your profilingi would use this to your advantage and run an output so you can try and dial in the Mic sound to what you like instead of capturing an amp at specific settings. Maybe mixing mic's will get you there too. Lots of good bids on YouTube for that. One I liked was mixing the rear of an open cab with an off axis center in front.

My old K10 was harsh in the high end. I don't get the same from my CLR.

I get pretty much the same highs on both the clr and dxr while the clr tends to have more cab punch feel since it technically is a coaxial Version of a guitar speaker.

Basically what I'm getting at is I'm still knocking down highs on some higher gain profiles with both my speakers so we are probably describing a different high end issue.

I'd have to agree with what you say Ben. Which is why people often recommended using the studio eq and shelving eq to reduce highs as a high pass filter may take too much out or the sound and feel empty. The high pass is great for diagnosing where in the spectrum the unwanted high end "insert problematic description here" is located. I also like to take a bit off the top end anyway as some profiles may be broadcast to bright or harsh on the ears.