Posts by MLScola

Thanks Cybertwin, Jesper and Lokasenna!

I know Hysteria well, excellent example of well arranged parts and tones.
    Loved "Raven" ... good song, great solo, great tone. Liked Paramore.
    Will check out "Casualties" shortly.

Have to hook up my studio monitors immediately!

Sometime in the future I need to check out DSD, Blu-Ray, Pono, HDtracks file formats etc. I want to hear if any of these High Rez recordings are worth the effort and expense.

Nakedzen,
    How about this ... any guitar recording that YOU think has unusual detail, depth and tone and represents a remarkable guitar recording. This whole thing started when someone tossed out the term Hi-Def which made me wonder if there was such a thing as a Hi-def guitar record. That's why I asked the question. Because if there is, I'd like to hear it. Who better to ask than the Forum?

Yeah, Hi-Def as a term is kind of a can of worms .... I'm looking for any guitar recording that anybody thinks is particularly stellar, something special, beyond the "normal" fidelity. So, any and all suggestions are valid including advance file formats.

Is there such a thing as a Hi-Def guitar recording? Damned if I know. Would love to find out.

I thought Jeff Beck's "Emotion Commotion" was pretty nice sounding album with a 64 piece orchestra but I would hesitate to call it HI-Def. Great recording though.

You know what? I stand corrected.

Michael_dk is probably right about input levels and his recommendations seem to be good conservative studio practices. Better to err on the side of caution. Digital splatter is ugly stuff.

I'd debate that it would be very hard to tell the difference between a track competently recorded thru -10 input as opposed to +4 (assuming noise is not an issue) but that's just my opinion. Would be an interesting test though.

It might help to think of -10 and +4 as the size of the pipe, as in -10 won't accommodate as much signal as +4. One advantage to +4 balanced is better noise rejection. But that doesn't matter much in terms of sonic fidelity (unless you're in a noisy environment) because your KPA output can be set to work with either (and almost any) level. You can use the KPA XLR outputs into mic level inputs if you set the KPA output level between -22 to -32. Adjust as needed. Regardless of which input level connection you choose, try to get your levels CLOSE to zero on your loudest sections. But don't stress on hitting zero exactly, peaking a little shy of 0 won't hurt your tone at all.

As long as your DAW's recording input is seeing good input level and nothing else in your signal is overloaded or starving, it doesn't matter much how you got there.

Ha! I worked as a Pro Audio rep for years and you just know manufacturer's Marketing Depts can't resist a good buzzword. Anything for sales.

Was having another conversation on fidelity with a fellow Kemperite when the subject of Hi-Def guitar recordings came up. Do they exist? Would love to hear from the Forum regarding your favorite guitar records.

Think of the question this way : any guitar recording that YOU think has unusual detail, depth and tone and represents a remarkable recording.

Better fidelity for sure. High Definition? Well, that's a word I'd be very careful with. Hi Def to me means pristine quality, deeply detailed sonic landscape, the ultimate fidelity. Some folks might hesitate at calling any Rock Hi Def but our Forum might be able to point to some magnificent "Hi Def" guitar recordings. First thing comes to mind is Jeff Beck's latest offerings with an orchestra. Love to hear others suggestions on this, think I'll start a new thread.

Take your time on the Redplate stuff. BTW, check out the cleaner versions, too. Get back to me when you can.

Level is noticeably lower than Song2New and duller in general. Also noticed your stereo field seems narrow. Assuming you want your guitar mono and in the center, have you tried panning your drums wider?

Hey Phil,
    It'll be sad to see you go but everybody has to do what works for them. A lot guys still prefer amps. But I wish you had profiled your Rockerverb, maybe that could've made a difference to you. Then again, if none of the factory or TAF rigs were to your liking, perhaps the whole KPA/profiler/modeler isn't your cup of tea.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to dial in one of your favorite rigs. But every time I pulled one up, honestly ... they sounded okay to me. I play humbuckers but I also love twang and single coils so high frequency overtones in my distortion doesn't bother me. Of course I could be deaf from too many years on stage ;-). Still, I wish I could have been more helpful. Maybe someone on the Forum who has experience taming "fizz" could chime in?

However it turns out for you I wish you the best of luck on your tone quest.

Cabinet settings in the tone stack, high and low shift, cab character, etc. My guess is Phil is sensitive to upper mids and high freq, particularly in distortion.

Hey Phil, I saw this on wiKPA. When you get a chance try this on a profile that "fizzes". Tell me if it improve the sound for you:

Don’t you like what you hear in the high region ?
    On nearly any profile, if you don't like what's going on in the highs, press and hold the Cabinet button and you will see a parameter called Character. Turn it up to about 3 o'clock. Have fun!

Well, you mentioned you like the sound of your Rockerverb and this is exactly why and what the Kemper was built for, so ... you might want to dial your best overdrive, drop a dynamic mic in front of it and give the profiling function a go . It's really easy. With any luck, you just might love your results.

Duke asks a good question. Any red lights anywhere in your recording chain?