Posts by Gary_W

Roses are red,
    Violets are blue,
    I just bought cheap profiles
    So my love life is screwed ;)

Many thanks for the 20% Andy - my poor Kemper has been resting for a few weeks as I've been up to my eyes in either work or bits of DIY at home so haven't picked up a guitar in weeks!

Looking forward to settling down with my purchases as soon as life allows it. I've bought the Custom Shop AC30 and the Dr. Z..... I haven't tried the demos on any of these but listened to the samples and past experience tells me I'll enjoy them :)

Please forgive me if this is a silly question (we're having a load of work done on the house at present which means I've been out of the guitar world for weeks and consequently I haven't read too much on this stuff)

As 3.0 is separating cabinet and amp, does this mean it would be possible to profile distortion / overdrive / boost stomp boxes? I guess it does..... I built quite a few prior to getting the Kemper and it would be cool to experiment.

What would be cooler still would be, at 3.1, if we could put any of the preamp / stomp box profiles into an FX slot.

Even if this is not on the product roadmap, I am still very excited about this update. I built my own dummy load a few years back as, prior to the Kemper, I would record my amps direct and then use Redwirez impulses for the cabinet. I know that mic+cabinet does a better job but only if you are good at mic+cabinet positioning and frankly I suck at it. For this reason, my profile attempts of the amps I've got at home have been very disappointing. I'm living in hope that I can finally get my amps back.

Many thanks for taking the time to do this - I very much appreciate it.

I still have my Tonelab tucked away in the loft..... I couldn't bring myself to sell it as I thought it was great at the time. The build quality was excellent and I think that getting this out and having a play might well be in order :)

Thanks again :)

I'm hopeful of changing firmware so as to allow assigning multiple parameters to a single exp pedal..... I have a couple of Strymons and it's nice to be able to (for example) alter the modulation on the delay and the delay mix at the same time.

Of course, you could do some really crazy things too.

Yes, it's nice to have more than one expression pedal but I only have two feet and generally at least one of those needs to stay on the ground :)

So there are 4 1/4 inch jacks on the back of this. It makes sense for two of those to be expression pedals (does anyone have 4 expression pedals??).

The other two - is that so you can have an FX loop on the floor with you for external stomp boxes? Or is one of them for your guitar lead so as you can plug in on the floor where you're stood? Or is this for external stomp switches? Or something else I've not thought of?

I know that no-one can answer this right now except for Kemper / Beta testers who aren't saying - just thinking aloud via my fingers :)

Some 'Vintage Style' fuzz pedals rely on the interaction with your guitar pickups to actually sound good. They have a low input impedance and, in terms of 'tone suck' they are 'guilty as charged'. The thing is to mod them for true bypass (so tone suck isn't an issue when it's not in use) and understand that if you put a buffer in front of them, they won't sound as intended when you *do* use them...... the circuit design should account for the flaws of the input impedance and if you second-guess it by putting a buffer in front of it then you'll potentially make them sound harsh.

Before you spend money....

is is there a software mixer with your interface? The picture says the two inputs on the front can be line or mic. And there is a high z button.

i have a Focusrite interface and in the software you can tell it mic level or line level for the front inputs. Getting this wrong could cause your issue.

I can't say for sure if this is the same issue I had but I wrote about this some time back.

Basically, any guitar I use sounds great with the Kemper with *almost* any of my plectrums. Dunlops, Herco, Dava and Tusq all sound different but all sound how I would expect were I playing the real amp mic'd up.

I then saw these things and thought 'that's probably a whole lot of hype but I'll try one and see'. http://v-picks.com/productdetails.php?q=33

On the Kemper, it sounds like I'm playing a Japanese Koto if I use this plectrum. Very odd considering that it did not have the same effect on a valve amp.....

Take home message for me? Use the cheap ones I always used and then the Kemper sounds great.

I

Ok, sounds like a secret weapon.
    Or it is not ROHS compliant. :)

I'm betting on B between your choices. Or it might even be that they haven't bothered getting a CE mark :)

As to the cables and buffer devices.

For a buffer device to work so as to negate the effects of the cable, it's got to be at the guitar end. Any tone loss due to capacitance of the cable cannot be magically restored so it's guitar end or nowhere :)

As soon as you hit a nice high impedance device then the tone suck stops. This can be the input of your amp OR an effects pedal with buffered bypass.

The thing to stop you using a buffer at the guitar end? Vintage-style fuzz pedals and wah pedals (real ones, not modelling :)). Vintage fuzz circuits when 'on' are low input impedance and naturally suck tone. The designers thought of that and made them brighter than they should be to compensate. So if you use a buffered device *before* the fuzz, the fuzz will sound shrill and horrible. IMO anyway :) And wah pedals just sound messed up after a buffer.

So for me, I use a very low impedance cable and again they're not expensive. A 3m Klotz La Grange is under 30 Euros and that will do the trick, or it does for me anyway :) When I built effects pedals for a hobby (which I'll probably come back to at some point) I had a board full of home made stuff plus a few commercials. The first thing in the chain was my wah, then a couple of vintage fuzz. All had been modified to true bypass but even so it adds SOME capacitance but it was acceptable. Then it went to a home made Klon Centaur which has a very nice buffer circuit. It worked a treat :)

For me, the Kemper brings out the subtle differences between guitars and pickups in the same way as a decent valve amp. But as others have said, once you get beyond a certain amount of dirt on a profile then the differences between guitars become smaller.

The reason to be able to put it post delay and post reverb is that you can then have layers with delay and reverb on them.

I connect my Kemper to the computer via SPDIF so my Ditto Looper, in the loop, cannot record Kemper reverb or delay layers in my looper for this reason.

Ultimately, the simple solution is to make it possible to put delays and reverbs in any effects slot, pre or post the stack. That way certain effects can be achieved that you cannot at present. For instance, if you are playing a single channel traditional amp which has no effects loop and you want reverb, you use a reverb stomp box which is obviously pre-amplifier. This makes the whole thing behave in a different manner to the reverb being post cabinet which is the only way the Kemper can do it.

This isn't me complaining - it's a first world problem for sure. I'm just answering CK's question as to 'why do you want it?' from my perspective :)

It's an interesting little box, this Strymon.

I also use the Slate VTM and VCC here and they do indeed seem to be some kind of 'secret sauce' that just makes things sound better.

The Strmon box here seems to be more of an effect. I can see why - with the Strymons, the effect is relatively subtle - when you're using it on a mix the time you notice what it's doing most is if you turn all the instances off on each channel and you think 'ah, ok. THAT'S what it was doing'. An effects pedal that is too subtle won't sell so well I don't think. So this thing seems to be concentrating on the more 'in your face' things you can do with a tape machine as opposed to the Slate thing. So I suppose you need both ;)

Thank you Raoul - I hadn't thought of that but it had been a heck of a Tuesday ;)

I'll load 'em up tomorrow and pretend I can play bass :D

Hopefully I can be forgiven if this is a silly question that has been answered elsewhere (even in this long thread) but....

The new bass rigs. Can I install just them or do I have to install all factory profiles?

I am not sure Strymon pedals sell because of the number of "flavours" they offer, as much as for the level of detail of their emulation... and the KPA does that in the amp emulation field. I find the KPA effects ok, but in most cases I use in fact Strymon (and love them). Of course, should the Kemper crew find a way to profile effects... :P

Very true. And that's what I'm getting at - the Strymons are doing good things in small pedals with SHARC chips. Knowing what the power in the Kemper can do with amps, I'm sure it could do better with its delays. They are not bad but could improve :)

have you tried using the local presets? (select The Delay, turn 'Browse')

I have and they are good.

But the Kemper is (IMO) the best device in the world at making the sound of a real amp. Apart from a real amp :) If you asked a hundred people on this forum if they believed this to be true, I'd bet that 95% of them or more would agree.

If you asked the same hundred people 'what is the best digital delay in the world', I don't think you'd be getting many votes for the Kemper.

This isn't a complaint - it's saying that you're clearly brilliant in the product niche you are in. You have got 7 different distortion boxes in the Kemper, all of which can be tweaked. With the delays, you have 3 types really (digital, analogue and dual) despite the wide range of different technology out there to create delay. If Strymon can make money selling Timeline, clearly this says that there is a market for 12 different flavours of delay, all tweakable. It'd be nice to have a few more basic flavours which can then create presets.